Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The forgotten years of BWFC: 1980-83

paulhanley

1 hour ago, Benny The Ball said:

For the sake of completeness here are the BBC match of the day games - obviously far fewer but still a few from the late 70s I would like to see again https://sites.google.com/site/motdlistings/

That Brighton home game that we lost 0-2 in 79/80 was on You Tube for a bit. Seems to have been removed. I'd be interested to see the first game of 78/9. It ended in defeat at home to Bristol City but it was a big moment for us being back in Div 1 and Alan Gowling scored a screamer.

The goals from Bolton V Tottenham and Bolton V Luton from 77/78 are on You Tube. I know coz I put um there! 

• Moderators
18 hours ago, leigh white said:

During our good run from Nov till the end of Jan in 82/83 we played a very decent Leicester side off the park winning 3-1, a side with Lineker, Lynex and Alan Smith who went on to gain promotion.

Remember that one

Wasnt going to go as borough were away at caernarvon

Missed the bus so went to burnden

I remember a  miserable, heavy home defeat by Leicester one season, sunny day it was. And they only brought a few hundred with them in those days

And the Sheffield Wednesday away following in 80/81, they packed out the Manchester Road side of the Embankment, only the Geordies in 82/83  brought more in that 3 season spell.

I see on the TV list Burnley away 77/78, Sunderland away 77/78 and Sunderland away 79/80 are 3 televised away wins that aren't on youtube

43 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

I remember a  miserable, heavy home defeat by Leicester one season, sunny day it was. And they only brought a few hundred with them in those days

And the Sheffield Wednesday away following in 80/81, they packed out the Manchester Road side of the Embankment, only the Geordies in 82/83  brought more in that 3 season spell.

I see on the TV list Burnley away 77/78, Sunderland away 77/78 and Sunderland away 79/80 are 3 televised away wins that aren't on youtube

There's still loads of stuff in TV archives. You'd think these unimaginative bastards at ITV and the BBC might make more use of it!

2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

There's still loads of stuff in TV archives. You'd think these unimaginative bastards at ITV and the BBC might make more use of it!

BT Sport have been doing a roaring trade in early to mid 80s matches last couple of weeks. I end up watching the crowds more than the action though.

Just now, Marc505 said:

BT Sport have been doing a roaring trade in early to mid 80s matches last couple of weeks. I end up watching the crowds more than the action though.

I bet they don't put any of ours on. Always worth watching what's going on in the stands in that era!! 

8 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I bet they don't put any of ours on. Always worth watching what's going on in the stands in that era!! 

No chance! In fact the only Bolton stuff I think I can remember ever seeing on these "classics" compilations is the Reading play off final, the Ipswich game featuring Worthy's goal and the Fulham promotion game in 78. 

Probably not much else worth exposing a national audience to I suppose!

3 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

No chance! In fact the only Bolton stuff I think I can remember ever seeing on these "classics" compilations is the Reading play off final, the Ipswich game featuring Worthy's goal and the Fulham promotion game in 78. 

Probably not much else worth exposing a national audience to I suppose!

There must be some way of sharing all this stuff. Even if they packaged it all up and made it available for payment in some form ... I'd pay it. 

That era saw the worst ever away following in my years watching the Whites, a pitiful 91 in the away end at Watford,  we got stuffed 3-0 and the entire second half was spent singing "Who's up Elton John, Who's up Elton John....Luther Luther Blissett...Luther Luther Blissett"....mostly thanks to the coach load from the Albion, which I'm pretty sure Winny organised.

Same with QPR and the 7-1 tanking, was only something like 100 there with the solitary travel club coach barely half full, pretty sure a handful off here were on that coach. Same day Tony Knowles hammered Steve Davis.

After that match on arrival at Burnden, me, Brixton and a few others walked up Manny Road with Jim McDonagh who'd got off the team coach and was catching a train to Southport where he lived at the time. 

He promised us his shirt and Brixton his gloves if we beat Sheff Wed the following week.....I got his shirt during the pitch invasion but Brixton didn't get his gloves. Still got the shirt somewhere,  blue one sponsored by the BEN.

6 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

There must be some way of sharing all this stuff. Even if they packaged it all up and made it available for payment in some form ... I'd pay it. 

Surely it wouldn't be such a huge task for a company to do, especially if people had to pay to access it.

Strange that a lot of our 90's until 2001 promotion stuff isn't more available, sometimes the club sticks an Eidur goal up from about 1999 and it's like unearthing lost footage.

4 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Surely it wouldn't be such a huge task for a company to do, especially if people had to pay to access it.

Strange that a lot of our 90's until 2001 promotion stuff isn't more available, sometimes the club sticks an Eidur goal up from about 1999 and it's like unearthing lost footage.

I’ve got loads from 90s on vhs how would I go about getting them on dvd 

12 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Yeah not too much from when Roadrunner got sacked off, which was at the end of 96/7. I've got bits and bats. I've got our 4-0 win over Bury up on YouTube and there's some more I should put on there at some point.

17 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

That era saw the worst ever away following in my years watching the Whites, a pitiful 91 in the away end at Watford,  we got stuffed 3-0 and the entire second half was spent singing "Who's up Elton John, Who's up Elton John....Luther Luther Blissett...Luther Luther Blissett"....mostly thanks to the coach load from the Albion, which I'm pretty sure Winny organised.

Same with QPR and the 7-1 tanking, was only something like 100 there with the solitary travel club coach barely half full, pretty sure a handful off here were on that coach. Same day Tony Knowles hammered Steve Davis.

After that match on arrival at Burnden, me, Brixton and a few others walked up Manny Road with Jim McDonagh who'd got off the team coach and was catching a train to Southport where he lived at the time. 

He promised us his shirt and Brixton his gloves if we beat Sheff Wed the following week.....I got his shirt during the pitch invasion but Brixton didn't get his gloves. Still got the shirt somewhere,  blue one sponsored by the BEN.

That Seamus shirt is a good thing to have. It is a bit of a forgotten era so probably pretty unique. 

Those London followings were really poor considering we've generally been guaranteed a fairly reasonable following given the amount of London based ex pat Bolton fans. Maybe there's more of them now than there was then. 

My older brother was one of them apparently. Had a flat in Camden and went to all the London games. Last time I saw him he said there was a decent group that used to go together to southern aways. Wish I could ask him. Not seen or heard from the cunt for 35 years. 

I don’t actually remember any specific games from that era. 81-82 was my last season going regularly at that time as I went to uni late 82 so missed most of the 82-83 season

My abiding memory was just how shocking it was turning up at Burnden and seeing such small crowds after the bumper crowds from 76-80. No chance of the creative accounting that had gone on earlier when we regularly reported crowds of around 18,000 yet you could barely move!!

30 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Yeah not too much from when Roadrunner got sacked off, which was at the end of 96/7. I've got bits and bats. I've got our 4-0 win over Bury up on YouTube and there's some more I should put on there at some point.

Touchline Television covered from the opening of the Reebok. They actually brought out VHS highlights every few months initially. Think I had the full lot for the first season at the Reebok but the tapes wore out sadly (imagine explaining that to a kid these days)

10 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Touchline Television covered from the opening of the Reebok. They actually brought out VHS highlights every few months initially. Think I had the full lot for the first season at the Reebok but the tapes wore out sadly (imagine explaining that to a kid these days)

I've got some knocking about. Maybe I should focus on that era a bit more than the 80s and the bits of 70s stuff I've posted. 

Peter Smith on commentary ... not quite as charismatic as Dave!

46 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I’ve got roadrunner videos from 1992 -7

19 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I've got some knocking about. Maybe I should focus on that era a bit more than the 80s and the bits of 70s stuff I've posted. 

Peter Smith on commentary ... not quite as charismatic as Dave!

Would appreciate it massively if you could get those up 🙏 

Agree on Peter Smith, always surprised me that he went on to become a regular on Sky