Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Living off the land

• Site Supporter

Sorrel- got some in amongst our herbs etc and it's grown and spread, so we though we'd try some in amongst a salad with last night's meal.

Huge mistake. Bubbly guts very soon after and stomach ache since.

Had a read up on it, and it turns out such effects can be suffered in some circumstances!

Foragers must be brave, hardy or stupid!

Anyone ever eaten something they shouldn't have? 

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Sorrel- got some in amongst our herbs etc and it's grown and spread, so we though we'd try some in amongst a salad with last night's meal.

Huge mistake. Bubbly guts very soon after and stomach ache since.

Had a read up on it, and it turns out such effects can be suffered in some circumstances!

Foragers must be brave, hardy or stupid!

Anyone ever eaten something they shouldn't have? 

Do tampon strings count?

My mam bought me a bag of Treets in the cinema when i was a kid, never honked as much in my life. I took my son to Everton and got him a tumbler of Pringles and went in Dixie Dean's bar on London Rd after the match, he was throwing up all over the pub.

• 3 weeks later...

My mate has an allotment, after about three or four years hard graft it was, until now, actually producing stuff. 

Problem is it all comes at once (ooer) and it's cost him thousands in shit (quite literally in some instances) to get it going and productive. 

His tomatoes are fucking top notch though - as are probably a lot of greenhouse grown ones done DIY style here. It's definitely a long term project though. 

Incidentally, how long has the Dancer's been a Holt's pub? I must be really observant as I've gone past it at least once a week the past three summers and only just twigged. 

• Members
54 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

My mate has an allotment, after about three or four years hard graft it was, until now, actually producing stuff. 

Problem is it all comes at once (ooer) and it's cost him thousands in shit (quite literally in some instances) to get it going and productive. 

His tomatoes are fucking top notch though - as are probably a lot of greenhouse grown ones done DIY style here. It's definitely a long term project though. 

Incidentally, how long has the Dancer's been a Holt's pub? I must be really observant as I've gone past it at least once a week the past three summers and only just twigged. 

Mammie Rudy has an allotment near the dancers, rhubarb, radish, tomatoes she’s shit hot with 

24 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

This reminds me. Very shortly, elderflowers will be out. Making yourself some cordial is piss easy, and it's absolutely fucking delicious. Extremely refreshing on a hot day when made with sparkling water from the fridge.

Or in a long drink with gin etc.

Seen I think Feargal-Whittington make some sparkling wine with them on the telly. 

'Tache off the Chateau thing too. 

Looked nice - I believe the birds eat the berries though so, harvesting the flowers means depriving our feathered friends. 

• Members
3 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

It's nice up there - some of the older holders turn a blind eye to my mate's herbal rollups as he potters about. 

She’s Jamaican so you’ll be reet 

Last year I grew green beans and peas. I don't t know if it was because I grew them myself but they tasted better than anything I would get from the supermarket. Anyway, this year I've got a crop of beetroot on the go. Im not even a fan of the stuff. Won't be ready for harvesting until late autum.  Dont know what I'm going to do with all if it's successful. Place your orders now.

Edited by Underpants

8 minutes ago, blackleywhite said:

Dug a veg patch over int garden. Beans peas carrots and onions. Fucking mares tail has enveloped the lot. How do you get rid of the twat?

You don't. 

Don't dig it in, cut it up - comes back tenfold. Don't compost it either. 

In the normal bin or burn it (after weeding). 

• Members
3 minutes ago, Traf said:

I love beetroot. But it's as messy as fuck. Looks like you've committed a murder after cutting one up.

Stained the worktop in our old House, looked liked we’d try to cover it up. Surprised the buyers didn’t want the patio digging up 

17 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

You don't. 

Don't dig it in, cut it up - comes back tenfold. Don't compost it either. 

In the normal bin or burn it (after weeding). 

But how do you weed it? Doesn't matter how carefully you lift it still breaks off from the root.

• Site Supporter

Aye, Mrs TMGJ told me similar. Keep pulling them up in as long a piece as possible. The root will eventually weaken but it will take donkeys years for that to happen. 

You’re stuck with them - welcome to my world