Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Lockdown Retro Gaming

MancWanderer

51 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I've tried but never really got into consoles, had a PS2 and played pro ev a lot, but tended to get bored quickly

Then i came across Wii sports, and mario kart online

That's all you need

-7 for the 9 holes on Wi Sports golf !! 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Ani said:

-7 for the 9 holes on Wi Sports golf !! 

Depends which version you're playing, but if it's the original do you take the short cut on the 2nd hole?

Edited by ZicoKelly

6 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’ve been hammering Champ Manager 01/02, but it’s got a little stale after 7 consecutive Premier League wins for Bolton. The front rows have been built, Ronaldinho has signed a new deal because of his “love for the club”, Anelka is sulking and Wayne Rooney plays for Sutton Utd. 

I just start again when it gets like that and tell myself I'll not buy all the same players that I usually do and use a different tactic. Then buy all the same players that I usually do and use the same tactic.

Last console I bought was a 360 which I gave away. Bored with the Steam games and so have dug out my old Xbox first generation, modded so there's a load of games and emulators on it. Just booted it up and miracle of miracles, it still works.

Had a quick go of GTA3 from 2003. Just been carjacked by the yakuza for some crime I have no memory of committing.   Turns out it's not quite as photo realistic as I remembered it, but in recent weeks I've gone off reality in any case.

On 05/05/2020 at 21:44, Escobarp said:

Best football game ever for me was sensible world of soccer. Lost a lot of my youth playing that. Addicted to it 

theres a scene to that where its all updated and patched for usb joypads , windows 10 etc, internet play..

last time i looked zach clough were in the bolton team so i think it were the parkinson promotion season. 

https://sensiblesoccer.de/

youd have to get the "ISO" or the real CD from ebay/torrents/carboot to work it , though. 

On 06/05/2020 at 08:08, Rudy’s Message said:

You are 

Haha cheers mate, apparently they won’t run through smart TVs something to do With the RF cable 

it can but it might need converting some way , the snes/megadrive had scart cables iirc , so thats the easiest way if you have a kind of old Flatscreen tv with scart sockets still on. 

you can do it through the rf cable (which looks like crap compared) a few ways, one using the flatscreens internal analogue tuner (if it has one)  and one using a vcrs tuner and its scart/rf out. 

used to tape Walkthroughs to VHS  this way, like twitch for the walkman generation. 

you can even get scart to hdmi upscale converters and the like. 

these youtube sorts must do similar to what i did. Looks like Ray Von did it , but it kinda works. 

faffing about for ten minutes of "oh yeah" might not be worth it. YMMV. 

using a computer emulator or summat might be easier in some way than using the actual old hardware...  and the switch , xbox etc have old retro sections as well. 

Tecmo Bowl on the switch for instance i saw t'other day. .... 

Edited by e2e4

• Members
4 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

it can but it might need converting some way , the snes/megadrive had scart cables iirc , so thats the easiest way if you have a kind of old Flatscreen tv with scart sockets still on. 

you can do it through the rf cable (which looks like crap compared) a few ways, one using the flatscreens internal analogue tuner (if it has one)  and one using a vcrs tuner and its scart/rf out. 

used to tape Walkthroughs to VHS  this way, like twitch for the walkman generation. 

you can even get scart to hdmi upscale converters and the like. 

these youtube sorts must do similar to what i did. Looks like Ray Von did it , but it kinda works. 

faffing about for ten minutes of "oh yeah" might not be worth it. YMMV. 

using a computer emulator or summat might be easier in some way than using the actual old hardware...  and the switch , xbox etc have old retro sections. 

This is the most sensible post I’ve seen from you 

12 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

This is the most sensible post I’ve seen from you 

Lost me half way through it 

Does that mean my Megadrive can work with a modern TV?

If so, does anyone want it? For nowt. Don’t want to bin it. Happy for someone on here to have it 

• Members
1 minute ago, MancWanderer said:

Lost me half way through it 

Does that mean my Megadrive can work with a modern TV?

If so, does anyone want it? For nowt. Don’t want to bin it. Happy for someone on here to have it 

Invite him round 

quick search brought up this, 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TS1D55H/

£15 i think its the right way round - Scart device (the megadrive) to HDMI screen (the tv) rather than the reverse (playing a futuristic bluray disc on a old zenith b&w telly). 

the make is a chinese oem but it should be ok "amazon recommended" . 

you need to get the megadrive scart lead off ebay because i think they were all different depending on the console (the snes one was definitely different looking on the "other" end) the megadrive one looks like a DIN jack of some type to 21 pin scart and it were different for the 1st model and the 2nd model of the console. 

megadrive 1 scart lead

or 

megadrive 2 scart lead

should do it. but 25 ish quid for the 2 parts (and possibly a hdmi cable too) slightly dear once you tot it up. 

if you sell it all complete on ebay it might be worth it. 

a lot of faffing for a quick blast of streets of rage 2.. 

its why places like that in bury are there .. its too much techy crap for normies sometimes. 

i get it coz i did shit like this as a hobby. but dont really use it now. 

like computers after everyone has a smartphone. knowing what autoexec.bat is , is not really needed in a iphone era world. 

whats the tv and model number ? mine are all slightly old so have scart sockets and analogue tuners as well as digital tuners and hdmi . but since about 2015 they just have digital tuners and more hdmi sockets instead  . 

if its like the first you can set it up for about £1 if you just want to look , the Proper "digital" way will cost for the converters and tv cables.. 

if you sell it , roughly £50 to £240 on ebay depending on what youve got and if it works etc 

Edited by e2e4

12 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

a lot of faffing for a quick blast of streets of rage 2.. 

its why places like that in bury are there .. its too much techy crap for normies sometimes. 

i get it coz i did shit like this as a hobby. but dont really use it now. 

like computers after everyone has a smartphone. knowing what autoexec.bat is , is not really needed in a iphone era world.

Downloadable from the App Store for bugger all.

• Site Supporter
On 06/05/2020 at 11:59, ZicoKelly said:

I meant hole 3

1655_image004.jpg

Need to have the wind behind you, but not quite full power as you overshoot into the rough 😂

My daft lad always tries to go to the island on the left, works about 1/5 times, too risky. 

As you can tell the Wii has made a reappearance during lockdown. The Wii golf is the only game I can remain competitive with the kids - great game

SNES, certainly European SNES, didn't have SCART. If it had it would've saved a lot of pissing about switching the RF/CoAxial when one wanted the telly back on or vice-versa...Some SNES packages came with a dual female co-axial to single male switch box to address this - but unless you had a covuluted system with an extra co-axial cable (and wires everywhere) it still meant going around the back of the telly to switch the switch.

Going back twenty years there were decent PC emulators knocking about for SNES, Megadrive, ZX Spectrum etc.

I gave my SNES and all it's games to an ex's (big, and she was petite) little 'un...She used to hoard girly crap in one of those huge and tacky beds that open like a boot, but she'd chuck 'rubbish' away at the drop of a hat, so it probably got literally binned. 😕

• Moderators

I remember when they had a NES downstairs in Boots in Bolton Town Centre in the early 90s (maybe late 80s)

would queue for ages to try and have a go, but the big boys would never give it up once they got on it, so you just had to stand there and watch

13 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I remember when they had a NES downstairs in Boots in Bolton Town Centre in the early 90s (maybe late 80s)

would queue for ages to try and have a go, but the big boys would never give it up once they got on it, so you just had to stand there and watch

We were the shoplifting scourge of the town centre shops in the very early 90s so it must've been earlier or we'd have 'little bit wooah, little bit waaay' nicked it.

When Boots opened the top floors as a gift overspill dept. around Christmas/January sales it was like meat and drink to us - why they (and Woolies) didn't block off those side doors is a mystery. And for any modern day ragamuffins reading - remember kids - sticking it in a bag or up a sleeve or in pockets shows 'intent' - heed the words of Perry Farrell (apart from the getting caught bit) keep the thing in hand at all times.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

For the older game lads 😊 our world(s) of wonder were opposite St. Pats Church on Great Moor Street or the converted front room of someones house up Queensgate...

Later on as more defected to ST/Amiga I (staying true to 8bit) would get dragged by mates to two shops on Chorley Old Road, one was called Bolton Computer Centre iirc, can't remember name of the other...

On the way back into town used to check the bins behind the 'Adult Shop' for toddies and call in the 'arcade' further down and run the gauntlet of nonces to play 'Rock 'n' Wrestle'...

• Members
43 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

For the older game lads 😊 our world(s) of wonder were opposite St. Pats Church on Great Moor Street or the converted front room of someones house up Queensgate...

Later on as more defected to ST/Amiga I (staying true to 8bit) would get dragged by mates to two shops on Chorley Old Road, one was called Bolton Computer Centre iirc, can't remember name of the other...

On the way back into town used to check the bins behind the 'Adult Shop' for toddies and call in the 'arcade' further down and run the gauntlet of nonces to play 'Rock 'n' Wrestle'...

There used to be two game shops on daubhill one opposite that giant super mosque that sold hooky PlayStation game’s and one a bit further up which was legit