Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Got wood?

Duck Egg

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Love mine.

Clean my own flue, as its a piece of piss. Clean the burner and replace the firebricks as necessary. Maintenance is therefore cheap.

Pay nowt for the wood, and indeed sell it cheaper than you guys are paying!

Splitting it is great exercise and therapeutic. 

Ash goes onto the garden and onto customers' too.

Cook meals on it and save a load in gas/leccy.

Wouldn't be without it.

If you pay top whack for wood though, they're more expensive than conventional heating.

I collect my own kindling and have a log splitter for the big stuff that I skive off tree surgeons.

Like you I wouldn't be without mine... I'm sitting in front of the stove now keeping the door open because its chucking out so much heat, the dog is getting singed

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I collect my own kindling and have a log splitter for the big stuff that I skive off tree surgeons.

Like you I wouldn't be without mine... I'm sitting in front of the stove now keeping the door open because its chucking out so much heat, the dog is getting singed

Keep your ears peeled over the coming years.

Countrywide, an enormous number of ash trees will need to be felled. Wife has already been given the go ahead to plan and possibly increase her tree team nunbers for managing the issue over the next few years.

May well be plenty of top grade stuff available.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Countrywide, an enormous number of ash trees will need to be felled. Wife has already been given the go ahead to plan and possibly increase her tree team nunbers for managing the issue over the next few years.

Why's that pal, disease?

Hope they going to plant more to compensate.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Winchester White said:

I love them but nowhere to put one, curse of the modern house.

Rented a log cabin with one last Feb and even though it was a tiny stove we went through logs at a right old rate!

You can still have one. We had the same issue with the gas flue being too small, but they can just go through the ceiling.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I read somewhere we are going to lose up to 90% of our ash trees owing to Die Back, they do burn well and farmers don't like them as they are shallow rooted and fk up their ploughs

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Winchester White said:

Why's that pal, disease?

Hope they going to plant more to compensate.

Aye, ash die back.

Local news had an article recently about forestry managers up in Sizergh in the lakes. They will do thousands eventually. 

Wife looking after lancashire's. 

That's on top of normal management duties.

Some places in the country have special planting research schemes underway,  whereby they plant loads of ash saplings. If any don't catch it, they will genetically check them and see if they're resistant to the disease.

Not really much point in replacing lost ones en masse at the moment without a guaranteed resistant stock available, or its money wasted.

Maybe replace with other species, but would be good to utilize more healthy ash.

22 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Love mine.

Clean my own flue, as its a piece of piss. Clean the burner and replace the firebricks as necessary. Maintenance is therefore cheap.

Pay nowt for the wood, and indeed sell it cheaper than you guys are paying!

Splitting it is great exercise and therapeutic. 

Ash goes onto the garden and onto customers' too.

Cook meals on it and save a load in gas/leccy.

Wouldn't be without it.

If you pay top whack for wood though, they're more expensive than conventional heating.

You cook on it? In your living room?

• Moderators

AJGvMln.jpg

That's mine 

Worth every penny because the Mrs loves it and sits in the front room all night Which means I can sit in the other room watching football and stuff

I'm buying her a fire poker set for Christmas to make sure she stays there till April