Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile in Ukraine

Rudy

Interesting article in Politico which says Europe is accusing the USA of excess profiteering from the war in Ukraine by subsidising American businesses so they can take market share from European companies, selling more weapons and selling gas to Europe at 4 times the price they are selling it in the USA.

Not that they haven't always profited from war when you think about the countries they've bombed the shit out of and then cleaned up on infrastructure rebuilding contracts - the more they bomb and destroy, the more work they pick up. No wonder they've been so slow at providing the Ukrainians with proper air defences.

5 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Interesting article in Politico which says Europe is accusing the USA of excess profiteering from the war in Ukraine by subsidising American businesses so they can take market share from European companies, selling more weapons and selling gas to Europe at 4 times the price they are selling it in the USA.

Not that they haven't always profited from war when you think about the countries they've bombed the shit out of and then cleaned up on infrastructure rebuilding contracts - the more they bomb and destroy, the more work they pick up. No wonder they've been so slow at providing the Ukrainians with proper air defences.

They rinsed us in WW2

15 minutes ago, Spider said:

War is always about the rebuilding and the money it generates.

the UK will do well out of it when everything subsides

Indeed, as I've said further back in the thread - we're not just chucking financial and military aide at them for no reason - we know (or hope) that we'll get payback as and when this is all over (hopefully, with full and primary access to their lithium reserves)

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Long term, lithium requirements won't be as high as first anticipated

Loads if research and developments of new (and old) technologies that will use more readily available materials.

Recycling will also help keep lithium available. 

They won't long term, but for the next 10 or 15 years they will be

Anyway, the whole EV market in the UK is a bit fucked at the minute - I've just received a new report this morning, and it's not looking good for the next couple of years, judging by the figures I'm currently looking at, and also by feedback from the EV Charger manufacturing companies........the good news is that it's predicted to pick up again by 2027, when they expect that 50% of all new car sales will be EV and/or hybrid (at present, it's just dipped to under 15%, down from 25% only a year ago

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, gonzo said:

Can someone summarise why...

Fanx

Why Ukraine can't join nato?

The rules prevent any nation "in dispute" from joining. Obviously more complex than that, but it is an obvious position to take.

At the end of all this, Zelensky et al may look to improve democracy further and tackle corruption in order to get in but I'm sure nato and Western governments will be guiding them on that.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Why Ukraine can't join nato?

The rules prevent any nation "in dispute" from joining. Obviously more complex than that, but it is an obvious position to take.

At the end of all this, Zelensky et al may look to improve democracy further and tackle corruption in order to get in but I'm sure nato and Western governments will be guiding them on that.

So if “in dispute” was a rule, is it possible that this whole war thing is specifically designed by Putin to stop them joining NATO by creating an event to stop them?

Edited by MickyD

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

So if “in dispute” was a rule, is it possible that this whole war thing is specifically designed by Putin to stop them joining NATO by creating an event to stop them?

Whether or not that was his thinking we'll never know, but he sure as hell didn't want the expansion of NATO - however his war has had the opposite effect with countries like Finland now expressing a desire to join.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Whether or not that was his thinking we'll never know, but he sure as hell didn't want the expansion of NATO - however his war has had the opposite effect with countries like Finland now expressing a desire to join.

Aye.

Don't think Ukraine was in the market for joining neither beforehand. Especially when we consider the agreement that was signed to protect Ukraine for giving up its nuclear weapons.

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye.

Don't think Ukraine was in the market for joining neither beforehand. Especially when we consider the agreement that was signed to protect Ukraine for giving up its nuclear weapons.

Sweden and Turkey are also now up for joining since the war began. If it was Putin's strategy, it's backfired big time.

17 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Turkey are already members of NATO.

They are the ones currently blocking Sweden and Finland's accession.

I was going to say that Turkey have been a member of Nato for years, probably 50 year or more I reckon. I think they've also got a larger amount of troops (other than the US) than any other NATO member.

On 25/11/2022 at 13:05, Sweep said:

They won't long term, but for the next 10 or 15 years they will be

Anyway, the whole EV market in the UK is a bit fucked at the minute - I've just received a new report this morning, and it's not looking good for the next couple of years, judging by the figures I'm currently looking at, and also by feedback from the EV Charger manufacturing companies........the good news is that it's predicted to pick up again by 2027, when they expect that 50% of all new car sales will be EV and/or hybrid (at present, it's just dipped to under 15%, down from 25% only a year ago

Saw this outfit on sky business news last week, looks amazing, is it possible these will kill electric charged vechiles?

https://www.metalectrique.com/our-technology