Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile in Ukraine

Rudy

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, royal white said:

I’m no expert in moving tanks 😂 the element of surprise is a great weapon to have though!  I’m not sure of the thought process of the Russians, whatever it is it’s surely clouded after a bottle of vodka 

Not sure it's that easy to keep the delivery and transport of dozens of tanks that quiet!

Also seen an article about hundreds of old challenger 1s in storage in Jordan, which could be modified and sent to Ukraine. 

Whatever materialises it will take a good while.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

Look at the winter war, 1939 to 40, while the rest of Europe was other wise distracted they had a pop at Finland, didnt turn out to well but they did

Katyn is a good film to watch

They invade Poland a day or two after Germany did, or vice versa, and massacred loads of soldiers and locals burying them in mass graves

Released footage of them uncovering the bodies and blaming it on the Germans, which they obviously denied

Took until Gorbachov in the 80s to admit it was them

Ive commented on it before I really do wonder, especially in America if we could see a political party offering to stop assisting Ukraine and pump the money in to their own economy?

Obviously in my job I come across all kinds of dickheads, but Ive certainly seen an uprise of folk saying stuff like "well maybe if we weren't sending all our money to Ukraine, wed be alright".

I just wonder how long peoples sympathy will last if things carry on getting shitter here or more importantly a party says theyll stop or reduce funding and instead fight the cost of living crisis?

Just a thought like.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Ive commented on it before I really do wonder, especially in America if we could see a political party offering to stop assisting Ukraine and pump the money in to their own economy?

Obviously in my job I come across all kinds of dickheads, but Ive certainly seen an uprise of folk saying stuff like "well maybe if we weren't sending all our money to Ukraine, wed be alright".

I just wonder how long peoples sympathy will last if things carry on getting shitter here or more importantly a party says theyll stop or reduce funding and instead fight the cost of living crisis?

Just a thought like.

I’d hazard a guess the folk saying stop helping are getting their main source of income from our taxes rather than their taxes being used in Ukraine. 

7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Just a thought like.

I'm pretty sure that's what Putin's banking on - the reality is that this conflict is likely to last years.

I can't claim to be anything like an expert but the consensus from those who apparently are is that things are going to seriously ramp up in Spring once the weather improves, and Ukraine will need more firepower than ever to counter the Russian offensive.

It all rests on the US, for me. A change of government there, maybe even just a change of President, could very easily be a gamechanger when it comes to military aid - if the Republicans and DeSantis I can imagine the support for Ukraine would be much more lukewarm.

Waiting until Trump had been kicked out before invading seems like a right schoolboy error from Vlad.

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm pretty sure that's what Putin's banking on - the reality is that this conflict is likely to last years.

I can't claim to be anything like an expert but the consensus from those who apparently are is that things are going to seriously ramp up in Spring once the weather improves, and Ukraine will need more firepower than ever to counter the Russian offensive.

It all rests on the US, for me. A change of government there, maybe even just a change of President, could very easily be a gamechanger when it comes to military aid - if the Republicans and DeSantis I can imagine the support for Ukraine would be much more lukewarm.

Waiting until Trump had been kicked out before invading seems like a right schoolboy error from Vlad.

Putin thought that the US had pissed everyone off during the Trumps run, they didn't take into account how good Biden is in diplomacy, and straight away the Russian were up against the US and NATO in there response to the invasion, something they didn't bank on

I understand that Biden, Sunak and the EU leaders have to play politics but last time America promised weapons it took months to arrive and I've thought the first rule of warfare would be to surpise the enemy instead of telling them in advance what you're going to do. Russians could bring forward their attack dates.

Also Russian State TV seems to have started blocking some of the more extreme propaganda videos on Facebook including Margarita Simoyan saying "anyway, it's good to die young" - as if that's going to attract more volunteers. TBF it might.

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I understand that Biden, Sunak and the EU leaders have to play politics but last time America promised weapons it took months to arrive and I've thought the first rule of warfare would be to surpise the enemy instead of telling them in advance what you're going to do. Russians could bring forward their attack dates.

Also Russian State TV seems to have started blocking some of the more extreme propaganda videos on Facebook including Margarita Simoyan saying "anyway, it's good to die young" - as if that's going to attract more volunteers. TBF it might.

They won't bring forward their attack dates, they aren't ready yet and mud season is about to start.

Boris shouting his mouth off about supplying planes, like we are going to hand over Typoons or F35's the fucking plonker.  F16s from other European countries are what Ukraine wants and needs.  They also need longer range missiles systems.