Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Points upto end Feb

Johnnyrotten

8 games between now and end Feb (12 upto mid March and only 1 midweek off in 6 weeks).

I've got a bit of sympathy with IE facing a schedule like that while we're still in a bad run of 'tough' fixtures, before it gets a bit easier.  

If the fixtures were in a different order things might be more comfortable but I expect it to get worse before it gets better, so IE may need to ride out a storm (without his captain). 

I'm predicting 11 points from 8 games, but it could get bumpy:

Orient H - 1

Mansfield A - 0

Salford A - 0

Morecambe H - 0

Stevenage H - 3

Southend A - 3

Scunthorpe H - 1

Barrow H - 3 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

8 games between now and end Feb (12 upto mid March and only 1 midweek off in 6 weeks).

I've got a bit of sympathy with IE facing a schedule like that while we're still in a bad run of 'tough' fixtures, before it gets a bit easier.  

If the fixtures were in a different order things might be more comfortable but I expect it to get worse before it gets better, so IE may need to ride out a storm (without his captain). 

Orient H - 1

Mansfield A - 0

Salford A - 0

Morecambe H - 0

Stevenage H - 3

Southend A - 3

Scunthorpe H - 1

Barrow H - 3 

If we only get one point from the next 4 games then we will have a new Manager as well as a new captain.

1 hour ago, captainmed said:

If we only get one point from the next 4 games then we will have a new Manager as well as a new captain.

Not the thread for Evatt In Or Out, but I think its impractical to change manager in Feb as there's so many games and we don't have any staff to be "caretakers".  Any new permanent manager would have to be lined up like at Chelsea/WBA - and I just dont see FV doing that, I bet they'd spend a few weeks on a proper recruitment. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Orient H - 1

Mansfield A - 0

Salford A - 0

Morecambe H - 0

Stevenage H - 3

Southend A - 3

Scunthorpe H - 1

Barrow H - 3 

I see the way you’ve gone based on our results against “top” teams and “bottom” teams, but I don’t think it’s a simple as that. I maintain that against some of those “top” teams we’ve either won, (Salford, Cheltenham) Drawn and looked better overall on the day (Cambridge, Carlisle, Exeter) and even on a couple of losses could quite easily have turned them into 1/3 points. (Walsall, Tranmere, Crawley).

As it happens I’m probably not a million miles away with points I think we’ll get, I’ll plump for 12-14 in line with a mid table finish, but they’ll be mixed up between “top” and “bottom” sides

1 hour ago, desperado said:

I see the way you’ve gone based on our results against “top” teams and “bottom” teams, but I don’t think it’s a simple as that. I maintain that against some of those “top” teams we’ve either won, (Salford, Cheltenham) Drawn and looked better overall on the day (Cambridge, Carlisle, Exeter) and even on a couple of losses could quite easily have turned them into 1/3 points. (Walsall, Tranmere, Crawley).

As it happens I’m probably not a million miles away with points I think we’ll get, I’ll plump for 12-14 in line with a mid table finish, but they’ll be mixed up between “top” and “bottom” sides

Fair points...but I've recognised that we can battle and get a point against the better teams as with our last 2 home games, and I'm predicting similar on Saturday.  A good spell, a bad spell, a goal and no clean sheet.  Difficult to envisage anything different really for me.  And as much as Sarce hasn't been on form he has a habit of being involved in most of our goals away from home, its a struggle to see who replaces that in the next 2 tough aways.  Morecambe are like Oldham in that their best results tend to be away, hope I'm wrong but I can only see an away win given our home form.  Anyway, here's to 8 wins in the next 4 weeks.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Our results have no doubt been respectable against teams above us at the time.

Wasn't like that initially but got better.

Its the home form though that's costing us. Strange.

We have won twice all season against the current top 16 teams.

• 2 weeks later...

Next 6 to end Feb have a different feel now compared to when the thread started.  The signings are the obvious factor but also the tough fixtures aren't coming in succession now, so you'd hope any defeats are followed up with a win rather than having confidence knocked with losing streaks.

Hoping for 4 points this week to kick off this run. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/01/2021 at 17:47, Jol_BWFC said:

Optimism. The season starts here. I haven’t even had a beer yet!

Orient H - 3

Mansfield A - 1

Salford A - 1

Morecambe H - 1

Stevenage H - 3

Southend A - 3

Scunthorpe H - 3

Barrow H - 3

Well, I’m pleased I was wrong about Mansfield!

On 29/01/2021 at 17:47, Jol_BWFC said:

Optimism. The season starts here. I haven’t even had a beer yet!

Orient H - 3

Mansfield A - 1

Salford A - 1

Morecambe H - 1

Stevenage H - 3

Southend A - 3

Scunthorpe H - 3

Barrow H - 3

You mean you weren't expecting 3 goals in 10 minutes at Mansfield including a fluke, an OG and a worldy?  Must do better with your March predictions.