Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Random away attendance question

SatanGreavsie

Just reading how there'll be a great away following for the Wigan game. And we can think back to taking 15k to Blackburn back in the day etc etc.

Which got me wondering what the biggest ever away turn out at a game has been. Not just involving Bolton, but anyone?

Not at neutral venues, but team B's fans turning up at team A for a league or cup game.

Thing is, if team A was really tinpot then the local big boys could have taken loads for a cup match - but then the tinpot ground wouldn't have held enough.

Seem to recall cup matches (including us) at Anfield when "smaller" teams got a massive allocation as the home team were comparatively poorly supported then. Didn't Pompey and/or Plymouth take vast numbers there?

Anyhow, just idly wondering...not that we'd get precise figures, but maybe a good guess?

Back in April 1980 home to United there was 32k on (presumably Burnden's last ever >30k crowd) but by then relegation was inevitable and crowds had dwindled, and with Filth having most of the embankment (if I recall correctly no home fans in it and just a small buffer zone cleared by the Paddock) and clearly being elsewhere I remember thinking at the time there were probably 15k of them there...

I wonder if big London teams took colossal numbers to Charlton when they were crap but had a massive ground...

14 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Back in April 1980 home to United there was 32k on (presumably Burnden's last ever >30k crowd) but by then relegation was inevitable and crowds had dwindled, and with Filth having most of the embankment (if I recall correctly no home fans in it and just a small buffer zone cleared by the Paddock) and clearly being elsewhere I remember thinking at the time there were probably 15k of them there...

I wonder if big London teams took colossal numbers to Charlton when they were crap but had a massive ground...

Loads of the bastards in the Lever End that day

Without wanting to sound like Rog, DMBs at Wimbledon when they won the first Premier League would presumably be up there given there were 30,000 on and their previous gate was 9,000. Even Wimbledon v Palace only got 12,000 and you’d have thought Palace would have taken a few to what was essentially a home game?!

10 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Without wanting to sound like Rog, DMBs at Wimbledon when they won the first Premier League would presumably be up there given there were 30,000 on and their previous gate was 9,000. Even Wimbledon v Palace only got 12,000 and you’d have thought Palace would have taken a few to what was essentially a home game?!

This link suggests 25k of the bastards

Manchester United fans' greatest days at Selhurst Park - pictures - Manchester Evening News

wish I hadn't asked now 🤢

9 minutes ago, Mannyroader said:

Newcastle were reckoned to have brought 19,000 to Burnden for the 75/76 FA Cup tie. 46,000 on in total.

I recall seeing Turkey play France at Stade de France quite recently and they were estimated to have made up half of an 80,000 crowd

Well some links suggest 75k Jocks at Wembley in 1977 when they broke the crossbar

1 hour ago, SatanGreavsie said:

They were all over the Manny Road North terrace that day too I'm afraid to say. When Neil Whatmore gave us the lead in to the Lever End goal there was a lot of abuse from the Bolton fans in the stand above them - including my Dad. It all went sour later though. 

I was still just about at Primary School at the time. Remember it being a bright but windy day. A mini-pitch invasion happened just before kick off from the Embankment with about about a dozen DMBs sitting in the six yard box waving their legs in the air. My memory is that while they had the whole Embankment it wasn't full. 

Don't remember who scored for them but it was 1-3 in the end. Walking up Manny Road at the end the police kept the away end closed but so many had been in the home end that they were all about outside the ground. All you could hear from inside was "Hark now hear, United sing, the Bolton ran away". 

It was also the day after we'd moved house in Bolton. My Dad took me to the game - and we were three-quarters of the way to driving to the old house before we remembered we didn't live there any more! 

I wish I could remember more about twatting them 3-0 the season before. I can remember bits, but not quite the detail. I can't remember the 1975 game , too young... so this was the day that set me on the road to being another BWFC DMB hater. April 1980 ... so long ago.

Preston away 1969 was a massive Bolton following. I was too young to recall much about the game except that I remember it being Roger Hunt's debut and the signing of an England World Cup winner had caused a lot of excitement. The attendance was 23,934.

Blackpool away on Boxing Day 1977 was also an enormous following. 25,789 on Bloomfield Road that day. 

2 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

For us it has got to be Blackburn when we got promoted or Huddersfield in the cup - probably Blackburn 

Yep, both approx 19,000 Bolton fans at the games. Was at both, both 1-0 wins, and if my memory serves me right, both crowds 27,000.

34 minutes ago, junot said:

Preston away 1969 was a massive Bolton following. I was too young to recall much about the game except that I remember it being Roger Hunt's debut and the signing of an England World Cup winner had caused a lot of excitement. The attendance was 23,934.

Blackpool away on Boxing Day 1977 was also an enormous following. 25,789 on Bloomfield Road that day. 

A day still spoken about in hushed tones by Blackpool fans in that respectful way they have to all things BWFC when they think there are no Bolton fans actually listening. Bolton absolutely everywhere that day from those I've heard talk about the game. It was also our last win there other than pre-season games.

4 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

This link suggests 25k of the bastards

Manchester United fans' greatest days at Selhurst Park - pictures - Manchester Evening News

wish I hadn't asked now 🤢

The thing with United down south is that there would be plenty of the glory hunting bastards only living a short tube ride to SP against Wimbledon. They wouldn't dream about doing it at West Ham, Chelsea, Spurs ...etc.

Our  away following against Southampton and Arsenal in the cup replays were better than impressive.

5 hours ago, woolli said:

Yep, me to. Think there was approx 37,000 on, our average crowds 12-13000.

25,000 of the 37,700 at Bolton was Man Utd's biggest away following in their 2nd Division season. The biggest other ones were 20,000 at Sheff Weds and  17,000 at Blackpool and Oldham.

One Leeds like to forget is  20,000 Man Utd filling two sides of Elland Rd on the final day of 79/80.

Just now, Roger_Dubuis said:

25,000 of the 37,700 at Bolton was Man Utd's biggest away following in their 2nd Division season. The biggest other ones were 20,000 at Sheff Weds and  17,000 at Blackpool and Oldham.

One Leeds like to forget is  20,000 Man Utd filling two sides of Elland Rd on the final day of 79/80.

So Fukin 

predictable you red twat

The Blackburn promotion night must be the most, Huddersfield & Blackpool a couple of times next, & loads at Liverpool White Hot & munich in the cup. Southampton & Arsenal were both impressive for the distances & at night.

Another big one was Newcastle at Leeds but nobody knows how many we actually had in the ground !!