Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Who wear rings on their fingers? Who has their ear(s) pierced?

Youri McAnespie

Without sounding all Dimron, Rambo/Raven...

I broke my index finger in a pit once (a moshpit, not a coal pit) - I went to A+E (after the gig) clocked how many were waiting and went home to splint it mesen with a view to going back, used half a wooden clothes peg (split it - of the dolly peg variety) we had no insulating tape in so I used that plumber's PTFE tape instead. No-one told me it's caustic as fuck, the chemical burns were worse than the break...

I also reset my nose once after being sucker-punched for zero reason walking home from late swim training at Deane Pool. I'd popped into the late Co-Op on Deane Road and had a bag of shopping on each hand and my kitbag on my back, the coward.

I also had new Cerrutti jeans on and was more concerned about getting blood on them - plus if you get into a fight AFTER a nose break another lucky punch lands and your suddenly Steve Bruce.

Some younger lads walked past and said he'd had a pop at them too, him and his bird were having a barney and he was acting the hard man, they gave me his and his (white) bird's name...This was before social media though, and there were probably a thousand lads with his fucking name in Bolton - about two years later I was going up Lever Edge lane and clocked this girl talking to another lad on presumably her doorstep.

I did consider doing detective work and doorstepping her for details, but I had the distinct impression "you were with an Asian lad..?" would've given me a shortlist of about fifty.

I'm not fucking John Wick.

Anyway it set fine.

I did go to A+E then and they weren't exactly sympathetic - presuming I'd been fighting, told me a potential eight hour wait - it'd have been halfway set by then, so I did it at home then splinted it with gaffa tape and strips of foam cut off a garden kneely thing...

Never did get my revenge 🤔

Edited by Youri McAnespie

3 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I also reset my nose once after being sucker-punched for zero reason walking home from late swim training at Deane Pool. I'd popped into the late Co-Op on Deane Road and had a bag of shopping on each hand and my kitbag on my back, the coward.

I broke my hand punching a lorry driver in the gob once, shows how useless at violence I am, one punch and got a "boxers break"