Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

I am starting to think Southgate is our best option of winning something. I don’t necessarily agree with his selections/tactics a lot of the time but what I will say is it’s clear he’s created a bond in that squad and they loved playing for him.

Saw Walker saying he loves playing and turning up for England and will continue till he is told otherwise. It just feels different.

Saw Mourinho being linked after 2024 and once upon a time I’d of loved that. Now I could see him ruining the vibe all again. Might be being harsh but I don’t think he would have the players running through walls like he did in 2000’s

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

Whilst Southgate is in charge you'll always have negative Nellies moaning, because he's a nice guy and sometimes says stuff like 'racism is bad'.

I suspect until he actually wins something meaningful DB he won’t get any real credit. I think he’s done an excellent job overall using young talent rather than sticking as previous managers did to the usual tribe from the big clubs. I don’t like everything he does but then which manager was ever perfect?

12 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I suspect until he actually wins something meaningful DB he won’t get any real credit. I think he’s done an excellent job overall using young talent rather than sticking as previous managers did to the usual tribe from the big clubs. I don’t like everything he does but then which manager was ever perfect?

Apart from Maguire and Phillips 

40 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Apart from Maguire and Phillips 

Phillips is an odd one, with possibly the worlds best player in his position in front of him in the pecking order and his bad injury last season he hasn't played enough but is probably the best option in with Bellingham and Rice.

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

I disagree with quite a few of his selections.  For example, there is no way Maguire and Phillips should be anywhere near the team given they hardly ever play for their clubs, but you cannot argue that they turn up and play well for England.

We can only hope when he does call it a day that the new man comes in and maintains the camaraderie that Southgate has built up.

Someone like Mourinho would be an absolute disaster.

• Members
18 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Brian Clough.

• Members
16 hours ago, DazBob said:

I disagree with quite a few of his selections.  For example, there is no way Maguire and Phillips should be anywhere near the team given they hardly ever play for their clubs, but you cannot argue that they turn up and play well for England.

We can only hope when he does call it a day that the new man comes in and maintains the camaraderie that Southgate has built up.

Someone like Mourinho would be an absolute disaster.

Kinell. I agree. A stiff brandy with breakfast required.

20 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Hes done a great job, apart from losing us the euro final with poor tactics, and letting 3 very inexperienced penalty takers take penalties in the biggest game in England history since 1966!

20 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

• 1 month later...
On 18/10/2023 at 11:35, deeane Koontz said:

Jose can fuck right off.

He was a poor winner let alone loser. Played 'dogs of war' football and it was the most miserable football played by superstars who were contrained from playing remotely adventurously. 

He's also a miserable twat & so far up himself he gagged on it.

Massively expensive, an ego the size of the O2 and now, probably, past it.

Otherwise he be perfect.

• Site Supporter
51 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

He was a poor winner let alone loser. Played 'dogs of war' football and it was the most miserable football played by superstars who were contrained from playing remotely adventurously. 

He's also a miserable twat & so far up himself he gagged on it.

Massively expensive, an ego the size of the O2 and now, probably, past it.

Otherwise he be perfect.

His Chelsea team 1st time around was probably the best in the Premier league era for me. 

23 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Easy group - qualify.

First tough opponent after that and out we go.

Rinse repeat for nearly 60 years. 

How the fuck you could get motivated by GS I’ll never know. 

Got us to a final and semi final TBF, last manger to do that was?

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Easy group - qualify.

First tough opponent after that and out we go.

Rinse repeat for nearly 60 years. 

How the fuck you could get motivated by GS I’ll never know. 

60 years you say, well that's not down to GS is it?

Recent times we've got as close as any since 66.

Evatt in.