Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Same weekend last year

Burndens Bogs

23 Jan 2021. We got beat 2-1 at Tranmere leaving us 17th in Lg 2 with 28pts.

The week after the Tranmere defeat we beat Leyton Orient 2-0 at home and went on the run that would eventually see us promoted- winning 15,drawing 3, and losing just 3 of our remaining games.

Meanwhile, in the UK we were at the peak of the 2nd wave  of the Coronavirus Pandemic, with strict lockdowns all over Britain - Borders shut, Pubs shut, Restaurants shut, Schools shut, no fans at Sporting events, no mixing with other families etc etc.

More than 39,000 people were in hospital with Covid 19, around 1800 folk per day were dying of the disease, and roughly 38,000 new cases per day were being recorded.

The cavalry had arrived in the UK though in the form of the vaccine, roll out was underway and around 4 million had already had their 1st jabs.

What a fucking year it’s been!

Edited by Burndens Bogs

Never want to do it again but I do have some fond memories of the ifollow season. Zoom call with some mates, an assortment of stupidly strong cans and battered by half time. That goal of Miller's at Southend and the goal at Bradford were celebrated as wildly as anyone could do in their back bedroom.

But never again, please.

12 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Never want to do it again but I do have some fond memories of the ifollow season. Zoom call with some mates, an assortment of stupidly strong cans and battered by half time. That goal of Miller's at Southend and the goal at Bradford were celebrated as wildly as anyone could do in their back bedroom.

But never again, please.

The sheer fucking confusion of Miller's winner against Barrow, refusing to celebrate until the game kicked off again because of Henshsaw screaming "OFFSIDE, OFFSIDE!" down the microphone.

Having the Crawley game on Sky was like some sort of perverse reward for a season of paying your tenner and hoping for the best, trying desperately to avoid checking live updates on Flash Scores or the betting apps given they were a minute or two in front.

20 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The sheer fucking confusion of Miller's winner against Barrow, refusing to celebrate until the game kicked off again because of Henshsaw screaming "OFFSIDE, OFFSIDE!" down the microphone.

Having the Crawley game on Sky was like some sort of perverse reward for a season of paying your tenner and hoping for the best, trying desperately to avoid checking live updates on Flash Scores or the betting apps given they were a minute or two in front.

Fuck I'd forgotten about that clown screaming "offside", proper cock blocked my celebrations

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I've seen so many people referencing the Henshaw commentary v Southend especially after his recent word vomit on twitter but I didn't have his commentary on for that game so never even knew it was an issue! Probably for the best really seen as I was off celebrating around the room long after they kicked off again.

Doyle at FGR was the worst for giving the game away, I watch Sky through the xbox which has easily 60 seconds or more delay on it, people were bouncing about on zoom and we had a goal kick on my screen 😃

6 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

23 Jan 2021. We got beat 2-1 at Tranmere leaving us 17th in Lg 2 with 28pts.

The week after the Tranmere defeat we beat Leyton Orient 2-0 at home and went on the run that would eventually see us promoted- winning 15,drawing 3, and losing just 3 of our remaining games.

Meanwhile, in the UK we were at the peak of the 2nd wave  of the Coronavirus Pandemic, with strict lockdowns all over Britain - Borders shut, Pubs shut, Restaurants shut, Schools shut, no fans at Sporting events, no mixing with other families etc etc.

More than 39,000 people were in hospital with Covid 19, around 1800 folk per day were dying of the disease, and roughly 38,000 new cases per day were being recorded.

The cavalry had arrived in the UK though in the form of the vaccine, roll out was underway and around 4 million had already had their 1st jabs.

What a fucking year it’s been!

I was at a Business Meeting at No10 

With some Wine and Cheese ( not the cunt of here )

Brought back some very sobering memories.  Being in league 2 was bad enough.  Not being able to go to games (or even the pub) was frustrating as hell for every footie fan; then to realise how absolutely shit our team was pre-February was soul destroying, but watching home defeats to the Crawleys and Forest Greens with no atmosphere on my laptop was depressing and soul destroying.  Port Vale was the low point, I still don't get how we could concede 6 to them in the first 62 minutes!  

Thank God for the last 3 months of the season, restored my sanity despite the hiccups v Grimsby, Exeter etc.  Never again please.

19 hours ago, Traf said:

It wasn't all bad, I watched the Carlisle festive fixture on my laptop by the pool in Lanzarote with several beers.

TBH watching the netball or snooker by the pool in Lanzarote with several beers would have been up there with the highlights of the last 2 years!

If you stuck with it when we were 3 down in the first half (on the back of 0-3 defeat to Tranmere) you did well, I sacked the whole thing and even the 3-3 result felt flat, on the back of the run we were on.  It turns out we were only 5 points below Cambridge, would have got good odds for a double on us both finishing top 3. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

TBH watching the netball or snooker by the pool in Lanzarote with several beers would have been up there with the highlights of the last 2 years!

If you stuck with it when we were 3 down in the first half (on the back of 0-3 defeat to Tranmere) you did well, I sacked the whole thing and even the 3-3 result felt flat, on the back of the run we were on.  It turns out we were only 5 points below Cambridge, would have got good odds for a double on us both finishing top 3. 

We stuck with it. Junior never wants to leave early or switch off when we're getting beat.
It was worth it...

drunk the rock GIF by ALL SEEING EYES