Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

One of my main contractors has put 8% on service charges and blamed contractors for price rise. Im fixed in a contract for the next 2 years ffs the lying cunts and couldnt put my prices up if I wanted too.

What a bunch of wankers.

16 minutes ago, gonzo said:

One of my main contractors has put 8% on service charges and blamed contractors for price rise. Im fixed in a contract for the next 2 years ffs the lying cunts and couldnt put my prices up if I wanted too.

What a bunch of wankers.

Classic move mate. Happens in my game a lot. As well as price increase, I’ve supported Israel, the illuminati and world obiesty ha.

26 minutes ago, gonzo said:

What a bunch of wankers.

Couldn’t you put clause in any new contracts to the effect if costs increase over say 5% then you can renegotiate your costs, probably not, but it’s something we try to do where costs are variable and out of our control. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, gonzo said:

What a bunch of wankers.

Couldn’t you try appealing to your clients’ sense of fair play? Write them a letter saying how all your suppliers have upped their prices and, whilst you realise a contract is in place, in order to avoid a large jump in prices at the beginning of the next contract, you feel a mid-contract increase may avoid this.

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

What a bunch of wankers.

Can you just not use 

SEA WATER 

• 1 month later...
  • Site Supporter
On 08/04/2023 at 01:28, Wanderlust said:

EDF was nationalised in 1946.

There is no reason why a nationalised company can't be as competitive as a private company and no reason why any procurer would refuse the best deal.

Continuing here.

EDF was founded in 1946.

Despite your argunents to the contrary, it wasn't a wholly state owned business, and technically may not be now, as there are a few shares owned by workers and others. (Approx 4%).

Until recently it was 84% state owned, and required legislation in the French lower house to purchase the rest.

Really isn't difficult to find accurate information- even windpower monthly has an article on it!

As for your second point- I've already said on this, and other threads, that technically state owned businesses ought to be as efficient as a private one- after all they're operated by essentially the same people- but the reality doesn't always reflect this. 

Privatisation and opening up competition also protects governments from vagaries of market forces, having swings in profits/funding which may make budgeting trickier, and of course militant unions potentially holding the country to ransom.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Continuing here.

EDF was founded in 1946.

Despite your argunents to the contrary, it wasn't a wholly state owned business, and technically may not be now, as there are a few shares owned by workers and others. (Approx 4%).

Until recently it was 84% state owned, and required legislation in the French lower house to purchase the rest.

Really isn't difficult to find accurate information- even windpower monthly has an article on it!

As for your second point- I've already said on this, and other threads, that technically state owned businesses ought to be as efficient as a private one- after all they're operated by essentially the same people- but the reality doesn't always reflect this. 

Privatisation and opening up competition also protects governments from vagaries of market forces, having swings in profits/funding which may make budgeting trickier, and of course militant unions potentially holding the country to ransom.

Time to privatise the NHS?

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Time to privatise the NHS?

Public funded organiastions always face huge inefficiency.. 

Economics course on my degree, remember that lecture well, 

Still very true. Government made it more so with the daft procurement rules about 7/8 years back. 

• Site Supporter
49 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Public funded organiastions always face huge inefficiency.. 

Economics course on my degree, remember that lecture well, 

Still very true. Government made it more so with the daft procurement rules about 7/8 years back. 

Cool

Let’s sell it and remove its burden from the taxpayer.

The yanks have all the best drugs anyway, let’s get them lads over here

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Cool

Let’s sell it and remove its burden from the taxpayer.

The yanks have all the best drugs anyway, let’s get them lads over here

That's what we need - an opioid crisis aimed squarely at those low productivity areas like the North. Cut the drain on London, forget all this needless levelling up nonsense, and like in the good ole US, they'll still vote Conservative to make the UK great again.

If I was was Rishi, I'd be all over it like a rash. Less burden, more money for Tunbridge Wells.

7 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Brexiters believed this clown 😂

Surely even the most ardent of Brexiters didn't believe any of the shit that bloke came out with.

Anyway, we now seem to have folk saying they knew we'd be worse off, but it's worth it to have our sovereignty (or something like that)

With regards to the food prices, it's a global problem, we all know that....but those making such statements about food being cheaper once we leave the EU, should have been fully aware that there is more than just membership of the EU that dictates our food prices (they were of course aware, they just knew the average bloke in the street would lap up the soundbite)

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Anyway, we now seem to have folk saying they knew we'd be worse off, but it's worth it to have our sovereignty (or something like that)

You tend to find that people who said "I don't care about the economy as long as we leave!" before the referendum, and in the run up to us actually leaving, now perform incredible mental gymnastics in order to deny Brexit has had any negative impact on the economy whatsoever. It's like when people get scammed, but are too embarrassed to admit it.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

That aged well

Happening everywhere- did we all leave?

When you listen and dig down, some surprising things appear.

Wholesale food prices have fallen month on month, for around a year. 

Yet retail prices still rising.

Even accounting for wage rises etc at supermarkets, there is a significant disconnect between the figures, which aren't mirrored in other industries.

Concerns over the possible occurence of price gouging. Something which the government/relevant bodies should be checking upon.

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Spider said:

Gas is trading at 100p right now, it was 800p last year.

just had an email from my gas provider to say prices won’t be dropping.

Why aren’t the government sorting this?

Shareholders need paying.