Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Plymouth (A)


burnden

Recommended Posts

  • Site Supporter
18 hours ago, Max Cherry said:

You have and you are right. Cheese can argue with himself. Lee poor today. 

Yes, but he wasn’t poor. People saying that his legs have gone is ridiculous - I’m sure some folks are not watching the games.

Lee was getting back into his own area and making tackles. Yes, he should have scored but I’d love to see the stats as he worked his bollocks off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He’s obviously been a technically excellent player but my view is he’s on the decline and we shouldn’t be playing him against the better teams in our league especially away from home, it’ll be interesting to see how his season goes from here, my guess is that Evatt will trust him less in the big games from here on in. Given he’s probably on a decent wage I’d not be sorry to see him moved on and the wage used for a tough tacking CDM to help shore up our midfield. 

Lee’s at his best against the better teams. IMO, he’s actually upped his game from last season, mad that he’s being criticized.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
49 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Just got back, great weekend bar the game. Theres a really good night out to be had round the Barbican and the atmosphere walking back through the Hoe was nice.

...but its a never again for me.

Exactly. Two games, five against, none scored.

Great weekend spoiled by the football.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Zico said:

5 goals last season and plenty assists 

He's still got lots to offer 

But I think he's a good example of why IE is going down the squad rotation route as opposed to "impact sub" route at the moment 

The biggest challenge this season is going to be consistency

Yes 5 goals, and all 5 a thing of beauty.  His 2 goals at Charlton, that's the only away game he's ever scored in for us.  His other 5 goals were at home, v Walsall and Harrogate in his 1st season, and Gills, Ipswich, Sunderland last year. 

Strangely, all 7 of his goals for us have been in the 2nd half, that doesn't suggest to me someone who isn't fit enough or who tires.  Plenty points-earning one's in tight games too.  Its just he hasn't really done it away from home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, gonzo said:

Best player on pitch v a Premier League team 4 days previous.

Let’s see how Evatt uses him in league games from now on… sparingly be my guess…. Playing Villa at home is a completely different kettle of fish to playing a big physical team away from home in league one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
18 hours ago, Steejay said:

Yes, but he wasn’t poor. People saying that his legs have gone is ridiculous - I’m sure some folks are not watching the games.

Probably same folk who were saying Wheater couldn't pay two games a week when he was regularly playing two games a week

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned
9 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Let’s see how Evatt uses him in league games from now on… sparingly be my guess…. Playing Villa at home is a completely different kettle of fish to playing a big physical team away from home in league one. 

Lee should be first on the team sheet. Sorry but your talking shite. Santos and Baka need dropping between them we have lost about 4 points in the last three games. Bricks on their backs and up and down Rivvy until they are fit again to start

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Lee should be first on the team sheet. Sorry but your talking shite. Santos and Baka need dropping between them we have lost about 4 points in the last three games. Bricks on their backs and up and down Rivvy until they are fit again to start

It’s all about opinions and we will see how it pans out for Lee, if Evatt insists on playing Lee he’d better beef up the midfield round him, my view is he will go without him more often as the season progresses and that’ll improve our results. Oh and no one can replace Santos in that back line. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
On 28/08/2022 at 11:11, radcliffe white said:

Another note plymouths catering set up was one of the best I’ve seen

good selection and queues went quickly it’s not hard if done properly 

An observation made using only West Lower (South end) catering kiosks as a comparison as I’ve not been in other parts of ground for some time but in WSL much of the time taken to get served is because the club insists on using agency staff for the kiosks . Many see the set-up for the first time on the day they’re working, many don’t use English as a first language (nothing wrong with that but we hardly speak the Queen’s English) they are probably just on minimum wage so probably have little interest in doing a great customer service job. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

An observation made using only West Lower (South end) catering kiosks as a comparison as I’ve not been in other parts of ground for some time but in WSL much of the time taken to get served is because the club insists on using agency staff for the kiosks . Many see the set-up for the first time on the day they’re working, many don’t use English as a first language (nothing wrong with that but we hardly speak the Queen’s English) they are probably just on minimum wage so probably have little interest in doing a great customer service job. 
 

Unfortunately not the choice of the club and, as with the stewarding, repeated at pretty much every stadium in the country post-Covid. Limited, sporadic hours at unsociable times for minimum wage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Unfortunately not the choice of the club and, as with the stewarding, repeated at pretty much every stadium in the country post-Covid. Limited, sporadic hours at unsociable times for minimum wage. 

Why so many that can't speak or understand English though?

Surely the agency can send speakers as its a vital part of the role?

Club is losing money as a result. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MickyD said:

An observation made using only West Lower (South end) catering kiosks as a comparison as I’ve not been in other parts of ground for some time but in WSL much of the time taken to get served is because the club insists on using agency staff for the kiosks . Many see the set-up for the first time on the day they’re working, many don’t use English as a first language (nothing wrong with that but we hardly speak the Queen’s English) they are probably just on minimum wage so probably have little interest in doing a great customer service job. 
 

Think I mentioned other week the club have been struggling for matchday staff nearly to the point where the safety certificate was touch & go on a few occasions.

Sheff weds game they got 2 minibuses of workers from a place in Manchester last minute and told to crack on most didn’t have a scooby

must’ve have a different recruitment set up at Plymouth but port vale was similar to our place

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Why so many that can't speak or understand English though?

Surely the agency can send speakers as its a vital part of the role?

Club is losing money as a result. 

Without getting too stereotypical or political, white English folk aren’t signing up to these agencies. They’re can only send who they’ve got on the books. Should round up a few dozen benefit scroungers as far as I’m concerned but as we all know it doesn’t work like that unfortunately. 

12 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Think I mentioned other week the club have been struggling for matchday staff nearly to the point where the safety certificate was touch & go on a few occasions.

Sheff weds game they got 2 minibuses of workers from a place in Manchester last minute and told to crack on most didn’t have a scooby

must’ve have a different recruitment set up at Plymouth but port vale was similar to our place

There was a coach load bussed in from Manchester that was parked in the corner of car park C recently too. Plymouth possibly benefits from their isolation in that case. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the question often has to be about who they're unable to attract to these jobs, rather than bemoaning the quality of worker who does at least bother to turn up without the relevant skills or training etc.

Working 1 till 7 for about £50 on a Saturday is unappealing at the best of times.
Throw in the fact that it's summer, you're dealing with football fans and it might be the only 'work' the agency has for you that fortnight, is it worth the hassle?

By the time they've got to/from wherever they get bussed from and they've sacrifice a chunk of the earnings to the benefits taper, who'd bother?
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Without getting too stereotypical or political, white English folk aren’t signing up to these agencies. They’re can only send who they’ve got on the books. Should round up a few dozen benefit scroungers as far as I’m concerned but as we all know it doesn’t work like that unfortunately. 

There was a coach load bussed in from Manchester that was parked in the corner of car park C recently too. Plymouth possibly benefits from their isolation in that case. 

Which in turn suggests clubs are looking for staff on the cheap. Too easy to just outsource it.

The age of the population is older, and there are vast numbers of experienced older people who may well be looking for a bit of extra cash for a couple of hours a week. Clubs could advertise and and make the role more inclusive within the club so employees feel part of something.

Or alternatively, completely sub let the refreshment areas completely and utilise local eateries- bit like the fanzone. 

The offering is overpriced, average to shit quality stuff, served by prannocks.

Surely more money to be made by alternative approaches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.