Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Forest Green Rovers (A)

Leyther_Matt

These days I'm quite phlegmatic about our defeats other than derby matches. Still pissed off about yesterday. Too many bad signs. Time to reset expectation levels.

For those with memories of the repeated attempts to get out of tier 3 in the late 80s and early 90s this is beginning to feel more like 89/90 than either the very near miss in 90/1 or the Rioch/McGinlay/Walker promotion of 92/3 

13 goals in 12 games. Oh for McGinlay and Walker types.

Still early days but if I was forced to put money on a finishing place for this season now I'd choose the 6th-8th range.

45 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Thought the spoons at Tewksbury was a nice set up massive beer garden with a good contingent of wways 

Just carried on forever, didn’t it?! Cracking pint in the YMCA next door though 😂 

41 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Which pillock decided to build there ground over a mile from the village up the side of a chuffing mountain

The new one will be even further out of the way, right next to the motorway junction so even fewer public transport options. Very green, Mr Vince. 

13 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Still can't understand how Santos has gone all this time without a goal. Attack a corner ffs instead of hanging about around the keeper.

Teams should be fearing defending against him at set pieces but they could just as easily not even put a man on him.

Id fancy @little whitt to get on the end of a corner before Santos

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Just carried on forever, didn’t it?! Cracking pint in the YMCA next door though 😂 

The new one will be even further out of the way, right next to the motorway junction so even fewer public transport options. Very green, Mr Vince. 

A busy little town with loads going on, at first I thought the spoons just had the patio area but it just kept going.

4 hours ago, Marc505 said:

It shouldn't be too much to ask for someone taller than most others on the pitch to contribute in some way in the air, or to have even looked like they'd made progress at improving that side of their game over time.

Even Zat Knight managed a handful of goals for us. Obviously nowhere near as many as Le Fondre, because one of those was an excellent forward and the other was a cart horse of a defender. Strange comparison.

I agree totally on Santos.

Just out of interest and as a side note to the discussion, Knight scored 4 in 168 games over 5 seasons.  2 at home, v  Man U (2-2) and the only goal v Wolves, both with his feet from close range.  Away he scored a decent finish with his foot at Leeds (5-1 win) and his one headed goal was the late equaliser at Yeovil, when a punt forward skimmed off his head with his back to goal and went over the advancing keeper.  He was definitely as bad as Santos with his head!

Anyway it was a good excuse to watch the 5-1 at Leeds again, some amazing goals.

31 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I agree totally on Santos.

Just out of interest and as a side note to the discussion, Knight scored 4 in 168 games over 5 seasons.  2 at home, v  Man U (2-2) and the only goal v Wolves, both with his feet from close range.  Away he scored a decent finish with his foot at Leeds (5-1 win) and his one headed goal was the late equaliser at Yeovil, when a punt forward skimmed off his head with his back to goal and went over the advancing keeper.  He was definitely as bad as Santos with his head!

Anyway it was a good excuse to watch the 5-1 at Leeds again, some amazing goals.

Similar record as Kachungas! 6 goals in the last 145 league games in the last 5 seasons.  Hold on a minute, one is supposed to be a striker!

We aren't consistent enough to be anywhere near the top 2, which i think frustrates people because on our day we can play some of the best football in the league and we should be aiming there.

However, even in the games we have won, our attacking efficiency has been poor, should've converted so many chances.

Our home form will carry us, but our disastrous away form will really put pressure on those home games (Barnsley next weekend)

We just don't seem to have that winning mentality yet. When was the last time an opponent outplayed us and we ended up beating them? It doesn't happen. I thought we might have learnt from last season, but unfortunately so far it still seems like we are a soft touch, a team that plays nice, attractive football, but can roll over.

Saying all of above, I think we can still finish top 6 at the very best. 

a belting day and 1st time travelling with @BOWTUN BAKED,only spoiled by 90 mins of football, miss fester certainly got educated, foreskins, stabbing the bastards, tewksbury was a lovely little place and the spoons by the canal was excellent 

as for the ground,shite,forest green were shite, there fans fuckin shite, and the hill upto the ground, they should fit a ski lift in,

anyway hope evatt gave them all a good spanking.

as much as i like mj, he plays to deep so our midfield is often outplayed, would like to see a proper midfield 3, morley,lee,dempsey,   or sheehan, thommason last few games have been disappointing

22 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

We aren't consistent enough to be anywhere near the top 2, which i think frustrates people because on our day we can play some of the best football in the league and we should be aiming there.

However, even in the games we have won, our attacking efficiency has been poor, should've converted so many chances.

Our home form will carry us, but our disastrous away form will really put pressure on those home games (Barnsley next weekend)

We just don't seem to have that winning mentality yet. When was the last time an opponent outplayed us and we ended up beating them? It doesn't happen. I thought we might have learnt from last season, but unfortunately so far it still seems like we are a soft touch, a team that plays nice, attractive football, but can roll over.

Saying all of above, I think we can still finish top 6 at the very best. 

The last time I came away from a home win thinking the score flattered us was Ipswich when we'd been on a terrible run and seemed to play not to lose.  They had 65% possession, 14 shots and 12 corners but Lee scored against the run of play.  I'm contradicting a bit what I said yesterday but there were a number of away games we won "fortunately".  Eg Shrewsbury and Oxford with less possession and about half the number of shots, and last minute winners.  The injury time winner at Crewe when neither team deserved to score.  Doncaster, won with less possession and shots.  Late equalisers at Morecambe and Wigan.

So I thought we'd become a team that could get a result without being the better team.  We had goalscorers, mainly Baka, scoring goals.  I don't claim to know the answer but we've gone backwards from that point of view.  We did create chances yesterday and if that was last season Baka would have notched, then again Sadlier would have buried that volley too.

16 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I just dont think we need to play 3 central defenders and a holding midfield player at places like Forest Green.

Can we not have a bash at 4 at the back and play with proper attacking wingers?

With Thomason and Williams playing it’s more like two holding midfielders so might as well be playing five at the back. I’d be a little bit concerned to leave out MJ but it needs the legs of Morley and/or Dempsey in front of them really

24 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I just dont think we need to play 3 central defenders and a holding midfield player at places like Forest Green.

Can we not have a bash at 4 at the back and play with proper attacking wingers?

There's a fair chance he'll change something soon because he'll be thinking opposition teams have had a good long look at us. Plus it's usually when I start reaching a tipping point about him being stubborn that he makes a change. 

20 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

There's a fair chance he'll change something soon because he'll be thinking opposition teams have had a good long look at us. Plus it's usually when I start reaching a tipping point about him being stubborn that he makes a change. 

Correct. Hes never not changed it for the good yet. Either have the board in the subsequent window.

Never let us down so far. 2 bad results, he will have something planned certainly.

• Site Supporter
21 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

If we win the next 2 and are all on here praising the performances and superb goals, will you come on and say if we lose 3 of the next 4 this will count for nothing?  Sorry if that sounds facetious, but we're just chatting about the away games this season, one win from 6 and hardly a shot on goal worth talking about.

Feel free to point out where I have said I’m happy with the last 2 results.

My issue isn’t with people moaning, fuck me I do little else.

My issue is the small group of folk like Woolli who do absolutely nothing else. When we win, they’re nowhere to be seen. As soon as we lose, they can’t wait to get on here and post a million words about what’s going wrong.

Its fucking weird, and points to bigger personal issues if you ask me.

We’ve been shit recently. But I’ve watched Bolton Wanderers long enough to not let 2/3 games make me give up and bin the season off.

Evatt has done enough in my opinion to be given time to turn it around. If he doesn’t, he gets potted. That’s it.

Personally, I prefer celebrating the victories and not waffling like a right miserable cunt the second a stray pass ends up in the west stand.