Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Guthrie To Toon

HR

especially one's we sign!

:D

what's your view on him? any good?

Geordie, this is my opinion but a few on here may disagree.

At the start of last season when we attempted to play football, Guthrie was nothing short of sensational. Our best footballer by a mile!

When Megson came and we, righty, reverted back to being tough to beat and being a bit more direct, Guthrie looked a little lightweight and too easily drifted out of battling games.

He's definitely a great footballer though!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lots of running and energy but a distinct lack of end product

Bang on. Looks great on the ball and has time to play, but for all that he didn't get a single assist last season and he took a fair few set pieces as well. He may well come back to haunt us but can't say I am too disappointed to miss out.

• Site Supporter

for the sake of 2m quid i cant say im not a little disappointed we didnt sign him...

very tidy little footballer, but lacks end product as already said.

still worth a punt in my book...

lets face it at circus castle if he doesnt start banging them in he'll be getting booed with the rest of them, however Geordies are the best fans.........

Harper or Guthrie? Easy decision for me Guthrie is younger better value for money and well a far better player!

Guthrie may be younger, but I don't see that he is better to be honest with you

No loss as far as I'm concerned. When with us he did OK, nothing more nothing less. He never did kick on as much as I thought he would after what seemed to be a promising start for us. I'm not saying he won't improve in time, but I think with Guthrie it's more of what you see is what you get.

Edited by Underpants

No loss as far as I'm concerned. When with us he did OK, nothing more nothing less. He never did kick on as much as I thought he would after what seemed to be a promising start for us.

I agree Undies, in fact, I've agreed with several of your posts recently, is that a good thing?

Gutted! Should of been a Bolton player what have Newcastle seen in him to buy him that we haven't?

We've seen him for a full season, Liverpool for even longer. Nothing against the lad but bumming about with a bunch of underachievers is probably his level.

Edited by Underpants

Not that good? As i recall against United he was one of the best players on the pitch! Always got stuck in and always put in a good performance when he played Maybe not Gutted Gutted but nevertheless a player we should have got.

Not saying he was pants,but the fact of the matter is its no great loss and he wont be missed. ;)

Not saying he was pants,but the fact of the matter is its no great loss and he wont be missed. ;)

What must be acknowledged is that we have lost a lot of midfielder-type folk

Stelios

Campo

Guthrie

Andranik

+ AN other I can't recall, but have not replaced numbers

Quantity was a feature of FSA's era, not saying it was good or bad, but looking thin around the middle of the field esp if Diuof goes

No loss as far as I'm concerned. When with us he did OK, nothing more nothing less. He never did kick on as much as I thought he would after what seemed to be a promising start for us. I'm not saying he won't improve in time, but I think with Guthrie it's more of what you see is what you get.

Completely agree with this. I also think this signing says a lot about what is happening at Newcastle. Ashley is not able/willing to invest much more so they are signing an unknown bloke from Majorca and a player who in all honesty is not good enough to get in our first team anymore. Plus I think James Harper is a much better bet for us than Guthrie. I can't say I'm disappointed at all he has joined the barcodes, good luck to him though. Nowt against him.

Technically quite good, but had run out of steam by January.

Too sleight and an awful finisher. Never looked like scoring beyond his one goal in the League cup, which I can't remember anyway. Not good enough to hold down a regualr central midfield spot in a decent team and didn't look to happy playing on the right.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.