Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

F1 is back

MancWanderer

3 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Sooooooo happy for Perez. Red Bull need to put a contract under his nose right now

Gutted for Russell. He deserved the win. Managed a strange car so well

Merc? Oh dear. Zee tyre team vill be lined up at dawn and zey vill disappear

You know what makes it worse? Have a guess how much they earn roughly per year?

Just now, MancWanderer said:

tbh mate any guess that I make is probably nowhere near the ball park

At Merc with bonuses for winning etc c400k. Might be nonsense but that came from someone who knows a lot of the guys at brackley. Plus they live the life of Riley traveling round the world. 

19 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

At Merc with bonuses for winning etc c400k. Might be nonsense but that came from someone who knows a lot of the guys at brackley. Plus they live the life of Riley traveling round the world. 

Wow!! Just wow

No wonder Toto described it as a “colossal fuck up” live on SKY 😂

• Members
1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

Sooooooo happy for Perez. Red Bull need to put a contract under his nose right now

Gutted for Russell. He deserved the win. Managed a strange car so well

Merc? Oh dear. Zee tyre team vill be lined up at dawn and zey vill disappear

2 veeks in zee kulher 

25 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Scary money eh. For changing car tyres. 

I wanted to be a pit monkey (Fuck BLM) I thought yeah I could do that, travel the world, take the rejected wimmin the drivers don’t wanna plough, making a decent bit of bank.

I could be the ramp guy, ramp under, lift the car then boom. No drama, easy life

Then I watched Guy Martin trying to be a mechanic in F1, it’s a right fuckin graft

Edited by Rudy

25 minutes ago, boogs said:

Surely it's the mechanics that do it. Your not telling me they pay 8 lads that money and fly em all over just for throwing wheels on. 

Have a look at the money that teams bring in. Then have a look at the difference in the money between placings. Then disappear down a google wormhole at how often those tyre monkeys practice their tyre changes. Undercut/overcut- less than half a second in the pits can pay their wages if it puts the driver up a place or two over a season. Mental

Merc play the safe game. They know that 99% of the time they just need to get the driver in and out in a decent time. Never the quickest. Always reliable. Until today. Heads will roll imo. Red Bull know they haven’t the fastest car and that on a lot of circuits they aren’t even second fastest but look at their times for pit stops. Unbelievable. They’ll finish second and part of that is down to their pit crew

33 minutes ago, Rudy said:

2 veeks in zee kulher 

I wanted to be a pit monkey (Fuck BLM) I thought yeah I could do that, travel the world, take the rejected wimmin the drivers don’t wanna plough, making a decent bit of bank.

I could be the ramp guy, ramp under, lift the car then boom. No drama, easy life

Then I watched Guy Martin trying to be a mechanic in F1, it’s a right fuckin graft

Aye. Bit of a difference to working at Kwik Fit 😂

34 minutes ago, boogs said:

Surely it's the mechanics that do it. Your not telling me they pay 8 lads that money and fly em all over just for throwing wheels on. 

No of course they don’t just change the wheels On a sunday. But they aren’t the top technicians either by a long way. They have other duties in the team but their key role and what they are retained for is being in the tyre crew. They practice for hours a day  

you ever noticed the times the top teams get in a pitstop compared to the Lower teams? Only a few of tenths of a second but that’s priceless. 

4 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Have a look at the money that teams bring in. Then have a look at the difference in the money between placings. Then disappear down a google wormhole at how often those tyre monkeys practice their tyre changes. Undercut/overcut- less than half a second in the pits can pay their wages if it puts the driver up a place or two over a season. Mental

Merc play the safe game. They know that 99% of the time they just need to get the driver in and out in a decent time. Never the quickest. Always reliable. Until today. Heads will roll imo. Red Bull know they haven’t the fastest car and that on a lot of circuits they aren’t even second fastest but look at their times for pit stops. Unbelievable. They’ll finish second and part of that is down to their pit crew

Red Bull pit crew are phenomenal. Each week just relentlessly consistent. 

10 minutes ago, Spider said:

Red Bull have done a 1.8 second stop I think

Which is beyond comprehension 

They hold the record for the fastest ever at about 1.8 yes. They’ve done more under 2 seconds than any other team. They know the value of having a decent pit crew. They get full value from them

Some folk don’t like F1. I get it. Fair enough, don’t watch it. For me it’s the tactics, the pit stops, the tyre strategy, the stuff that can go wrong, and the battles within teams. But most of all who is the best driver race after race after race. It’s no coincidence Hamilton is where he is. He has the fastest car but look what happens when he’s not there. Fucking chaos. Or as Toto so eloquently put it “a colossal fuck up”. Hamilton drives the best team not just the best car. For those folk who say that Merc have the best car so anyone could win in it, well watch today’s race. Yeah, bad luck for Bottas and Russell but would it have happened with Hamilton? Who knows but I know where my money would be

• Moderators

I think hamilton is great

I dont think he wouldve won today

He may have been further ahead than Russell but the safety car wouldve wiped that out

Hamilton is strong enough to refuse to pit granted, but I think he wouldve then lost to Bottas as his stop wouldve gone as intended

But Hamilton is still cleary the best and Verstappen is a good way behind

Bottas has helped guarantee that Merc win the constructors every year so I think that he has Merc’s backing and I can’t see him walking away to a lower team. Much as I joke with Esco about him he is very good. He’s just not Hamilton and hasn’t got the aggression of Max and some of the younger drivers

• Moderators

Re bottas, with Hamilton out of the way, only 1 merc in the race and my life depending on it, id go bottas over that loon verstappen

You cant win if you don't finish, after all

As for next year, bottas is at merc unless he gets paid his salary to have a year off

• Members
2 minutes ago, Spider said:

They keep it so secretive it’s unreal.

He’s either a proper cabbage, dead, or living a normal life in America.

Fuck knows how they’ve managed it. The Sun would have been all over this in the 90’s

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Fuck knows how they’ve managed it. The Sun would have been all over this in the 90’s

I just reckon he’s so cabbaged that it’s too grim for the world to see. Got a head like Rocky Dennis

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Ah, the heady days of phone tapping and just making stuff up for the giggles and selling print.

Simpler times.

Now you have to employ geeks to attack social media with bots, photoshop celebs and harras their families online.

Booo!