Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Best Indian Restaurants (now closed)

Ruba Mustafa

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Takeaway tonight I reckon. Either a visit to the covids or to shabaaz.

If it's open for takeaways that is.

Have to check mate only eaten in, would think they would shabaaz

not Indian related but I may try jacks chippy on ainsworth road people seem to rave about it 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

not Indian related but I may try jacks chippy on ainsworth road people seem to rave about it 

Been to jack's a number of times. Make their own puddings.

Shabaaz do takeaways normally- probably done that more than eating in!

Will have a check.

10 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Bit of a trek for you but best chippy in Bolton is whitesides on halliwell road IMO

Edited by Escobarp

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Bit of a trek for you but best chippy in Bolton is whitesides on halliwell road IMO

Yes mates on Facebook rave about it would try if I’m in the area, tbh don’t eat many Chippy’s very bloating I find 

Just now, Mr Grey said:

I takeit Thorpey paid put of his modelling fund 😉

The southern colonel😀

Indian restaurant on St georges rd, right this takes me right back.

The one i can remember was on the opposite side to rockerfellas but up the other end nearer to the traffic lights, up some steps if i remember. Used to open till it got light.

Can't remember the name but if that was shimuls what was it called before that?.

There was always a takeaway on the other side of the rd called Abdul's.

Raj manzil was like a chimps tea party with bouncers.

• Moderators

anyone ever done a runner from one?

at uni in Sheffield, had a load of mates stay over after we played Sheff Utd one weekend, finished the session with a curry, I decided to leg it when the bill came, and everyone else followed (I lived literally around the corner, so the staff could've easily nabbed us had they followed)

some lads moaned that they'd already put their money down to the tune of about £30

transpired a few months later the last lad out the door had pocketed their money on his way out

15 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Indian restaurant on St georges rd, right this takes me right back.

The one i can remember was on the opposite side to rockerfellas but up the other end nearer to the traffic lights, up some steps if i remember. Used to open till it got light.

Can't remember the name but if that was shimuls what was it called before that?.

Was just going to post about that one, was opposite Shimul's and more like an end terrace than a restaurant like Shimul's. It was the one we used to always go to but can't think of the name at all and it's doing my head in.

3 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Was just going to post about that one, was opposite Shimul's and more like an end terrace than a restaurant like Shimul's. It was the one we used to always go to but can't think of the name at all and it's doing my head in.

That was the one I was referring to but the name escapes me also 

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It was the end terrace building on the left as you went up just down from what I remember as McGhees? Can’t remember it’s other names 

I think you're thinking of Raj Shahi, which shut a year or two ago. I used to really like it in there.

I think the one Whitestar is referring to was pretty much dead opposite Shimuls.  I can't remember the name of it but it's been shut for a long time.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Yep, that's where it was.

Here

didn't one of those used to be a really grotty looking pub?

had a mooch up and down the street, but can't see it so guessing it's closed / gone - just remember always used to see it when on the bus heading in / out of town (so talking mid 90s)

it looked like a fucking grim place to have a pint

Just now, ZicoKelly said:

didn't one of those used to be a really grotty looking pub?

had a mooch up and down the street, but can't see it so guessing it's closed / gone - just remember always used to see it when on the bus heading in / out of town (so talking mid 90s)

it looked like a fucking grim place to have a pint

Crikey, that's going back a long time if there was - I have no recollection of there ever being a pub there.  Some of the older pisspots on here will know, I'm sure.

Thanks for the link, looking at all those properties I'm guessing it was the one that is the other end, painted dark grey.

My thinking for this is ( and i might be wrong), assuming all the outside structures are unchanged, the front door when you went in was at the right hand side of the property because as you entered you turned immediately left into the restaurant.

That is the only one where the door matches this.

28 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I think you're thinking of Raj Shahi, which shut a year or two ago. I used to really like it in there.

I think the one Whitestar is referring to was pretty much dead opposite Shimuls.  I can't remember the name of it but it's been shut for a long time.

That’s the one cheers. Had raj in my head but couldn’t think what it was called 

saw it was shut about a year ago when driving past 

22 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Crikey, that's going back a long time if there was - I have no recollection of there ever being a pub there.  Some of the older pisspots on here will know, I'm sure.

Was there not a pub near where the Volvo garage used to be? I did my work experience in that garage and seem to remember a pub nearby