Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pre-Season

desperado

14 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Meh, getting us ready for Championship.

Be a shit 1-0 Bolton win.

With 3500 bolton fans singing  "premiership...your aving a laff".....and "oooo ohshit arghghhh" when Crelin kicks every goalkick...

But the pasties will be elite.

Stores on Middlebrook employing extra security with the predicted rise in shop lifting.

Wanderers will welcome West Brom to the Toughsheet Community Stadium for their final pre-season warm-up game.

Ian Evatt’s side had been due to play ‘top-flight’ European opposition in their last scheduled friendly but saw the agreement break down at the last moment despite their best efforts.

Carlos Corberan’s Championship Baggies have provided a suitable replacement and will face Bolton on Saturday, July 29, with a 3pm kick-off.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

All friendlies are.  Boredom factor sets in after about 8 minutes once we've seen how the new kit looks, then its like attending a training session.  Nobody ever came away thinking "so glad I went to that" 😃

Definitely the case with home ones.

Away ones have an appeal to me. Potential to tick off a new ground, few beers on the train, take in the offerings of a different town/city in the sun without too much stress of the game, while sussing out some new signings. 

2 hours ago, desperado said:

Definitely the case with home ones.

Away ones have an appeal to me. Potential to tick off a new ground, few beers on the train, take in the offerings of a different town/city in the sun without too much stress of the game, while sussing out some new signings. 

I totally get that and I'm not averse to the odd Athy Colls or Radcliffe away for something to do on a July Tuesday evening, I might even do Everton home as its midweek. 

But there are only about 7 Saturdays a year that aren't dominated by football of some description and I've got to the stage where spending one of the 7 watching a meaningless kickabout has been relegated to "I could actually do something non football related for a change".  And avoid that 5pm feeling of "why did I think that would be a good way to spend my Saturday"!  

Just my take personal take on it currently, everyone has their own motivations and preferences.

• Site Supporter

I know a few Albion lads who might well be coming up to this so I'll go and have a beer with them if they do.

Not in the least bit arsed about Everton. Midweek games get on my wick anyway, no chance I'm turning out for a friendly.

Might do a local non league away if I can be bothered and have nothing else on

15 minutes ago, Carlos said:

The B squad are at Colls. It's a 12pm KO so you could easily get both in.

Ah cheers, seems a shame for Colls that they won't get the club or fans full attention that day but it'd be an achievement to tick off doing 2 Wanderers games in a day.

Not me, mind 😃