Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Egg chasing World Cup

Alf Hartigan

England have been poor for a long time. Imo they are the worst of the home nations at this WC. Borthwick never grabbed me as the right person to replace Jones. Everything I've heard from him and seen from his team has reinforced this opinion. I liked Jones even though results and form were poor I think he would have got a tune out of the squad leading into this WC. I can't see England dominating anyone in this WC. The opening game is very losable. 

SA or France will win the thing.

50 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

I don't think we're worse than Wales and definitely not Italy.

SA, France or Ireland for me (I'm hoping we might cause an upset but quarters at best)

I said home nations not 6 nations. There's a debate to be had on who is the worst between England and Wales.

• Site Supporter

Certainly not be great since Jones went.

As above, results hadn't been great under him neither, but he seemed to use the "cycle" to build a squad capable of doing well at the world cup. Obviously that doesn't guarantee success at the big competition, but the idea makes sense.

Can only hope Borthwick has an idea in mind along such lines, but performances haven't been promising.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Yeah, got a roof on now though.

Watched Ukraine v Poland there in 2016 and nearly combusted it was that hot.

Seems to have changed drastically. That farcical corner we were in that was almost detached from the stadium isn’t visible any more 🤣

1 minute ago, desperado said:

Seems to have changed drastically. That farcical corner we were in that was almost detached from the stadium isn’t visible any more 🤣

It's strange really as the bowl hasnt changed much at all apart from new backless arse pans for seats, but it looks completely different with a roof on. Interesting stadium and city that. Interesting verging on lawless 😂

12 minutes ago, desperado said:

It’s unfathomable decisions to the normal sports loving public, that aren’t rugby nerds, that turn people off this game - bobbins

Totally agree, I try and watch it and just fucks me off. Just a whistle and a ref with his hand up!

Utter pish

Edited by JimmyRiddle

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Totally agree, I try and watch it and just fucks me off. Just a whistle and a ref with his hand up!

Utter pish

The commentators haven’t even bothered explaining it! 

I’m beginning to think I’ve missed something obvious.

Fair play to George Ford mind, got to admire his kicking quality 👏

• Site Supporter

Thank goodness for that, the pundits also think red was harsh.

Although not much talk of why there’s wasn’t a red. That ref pundit talked about line of sight or something. But come on there’s more deliberate damage and intention in his “tackle” than there was in Curry’s 

15 hours ago, desperado said:

So why is ours a red and there’s a yellow?

Both should have stayed as yellows.

The force of the head on head impact came from the momentum of the Argentina player. Curry had not forward movement.

Be interesting to see if England continue with drop goal tactic. Given how hard it is to overcome disciplined defence these days could well be useful. Ford definitely looked like he had been practicing 

• Members

After the build up, that was most encouraging. Won't win owt like but it looks like anyone who plays us will know they have been in a game. That hit from Manu Tuilagi! That Argie will still be feeling that when he's 80!

Great to see something starting to happen for Borthwick.

• Site Supporter

Saw most of the second half.

Overall a superb, canny performance. 

Commentators said they were pants, which they were, but with 14 men, a lot of credit has to be given to our lads for forcing their errors.

Obviously didn't see any real flowing, attacking play, but that wasn't really possible.

Just hope they can take some confidence and inspiration as they continue.

At first I thought the English lad was a straight red but the ref saw he had his arms around so benefit of doubt and yellow with a review. 

The head issue is so much of a thing now that Dallaglio was right when he made the comment at half time that you just should just let the vulnerable person (in this case in the air) change to being a normal target and then hit them lower.

Obviously union is wank anyway but was good to watch a lad with league in his heart taking a leaf out of Alex Murphy's book.

• Members
11 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

At first I thought the English lad was a straight red but the ref saw he had his arms around so benefit of doubt and yellow with a review. 

The head issue is so much of a thing now that Dallaglio was right when he made the comment at half time that you just should just let the vulnerable person (in this case in the air) change to being a normal target and then hit them lower.

Obviously union is wank anyway but was good to watch a lad with league in his heart taking a leaf out of Alex Murphy's book.

Like everything in sport these days it seems, it will be the lack of consistency re the head issue which drives every fucker mad.

Didn't think you minority sports types watched these global events?