Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Egg chasing World Cup

Alf Hartigan

The reliance on the kick is soul destroying. The use of this tactic probably highlights England's lack of ability in other areas of the game. Indiscipline by Argentina and the lack of know-how by the Japanese have been Englands saviour in this WC upto now. But having said that I thought we played well against the Argies given the circumstances.

• Site Supporter

Some under estimating of the Japanese here, they've don't quite well in recent world cup. 

That apart, it was frustrating at times last night, but they started to become more fluid as they wore the Japanese team down.

Yes the Japanese at times were a bit quicker in the way they moved the ball, but overall their breaks from the lines weren't that common.

A bit easy to keep a dim view of things, but I reckon they are improving.

Had a huge task against Argentina and were magnificent and pragmatic (note to Evatt).

Will be really tested assuming they get to the quarters finals against stronger teams, but it's been better than I feared it would be before the start 

• Site Supporter

How poor were Australia??!! 🤣

Without underestimating Fiji - they are a very good side, England couldn’t have hoped for a better route to the latter stages.

Crazy that a semi, or dare we say final, is not beyond our ambitions. We looked to have no chance prior to the tournament.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
17 hours ago, Nowack said:

They aren`t half stringing this bloody tournament out, all the flags outside the pubs are fading.

Find myself losing a bit of interest due to the dragging out. Dulls the intensity of a World Cup somehow. Plenty of mates still saying it's between Ireland and South Africa. I wouldn't be writing off the frogs or the kiwi's personally.

England performed OK so far. Big lift needed to beat any of the four mentioned above. Fingers crossed.

20 hours ago, Nowack said:

They aren`t half stringing this bloody tournament out, all the flags outside the pubs are fading.

I suppose the physicality of the game means longer recovery between games is necessary… don’t think we will be troubling the judge by the time the final comes round. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Underpants said:

Good prep for Fiji in the quarters.

Pundits felt they'd eased off a bit in the 2 weeks since the last game, and they were already through.

Need to get into a more energetic, positive mind set for next week, and I reckon they will.

Still won't be easy though.

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Pundits felt they'd eased off a bit in the 2 weeks since the last game, and they were already through.

Need to get into a more energetic, positive mind set for next week, and I reckon they will.

Still won't be easy though.

There's an argument to be had that the 2 week break took England out of the WC zone. I reckon the tough test they experienced against Samoa will focus their minds against another pacific island team Let's not forget that Fiji dicked a confidence lacking England at Twickenham a month ago. This QF could go either way.