Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blackpool (A)

Duck Egg

13 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Unless he views it as dangerous. He jumped in, both feet were off the ground.

The referee's decision was red. One must assume he didn't view it as innocent. No way is any panel going to overturn it.

Seemed an easy decision in the end. As suggested at the time and since. 

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Well I hold my hands up. I now don't understand what the fck's going on.

Still. Back for tonight.

Pretty simple really. It was a clear attempt to play the ball, therefore the double-jeopardy rule should have applied. The Blackpool player was behind Santos until the moment he slid in, and Santos had his eye on the ball at all times. There was only contact because the Blackpool player jumped forward over Santos' legs.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

Pretty simple really. It was a clear attempt to play the ball, therefore the double-jeopardy rule should have applied. The Blackpool player was behind Santos until the moment he slid in, and Santos had his eye on the ball at all times. There was only contact because the Blackpool player jumped forward over Santos' legs.

And it was clear from where I was stood; no wonder I lose it at some games. That ref was at it from the kick off and surprised he didn’t come up with a reason cancel our goal

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

And it was clear from where I was stood; no wonder I lose it at some games. That ref was at it from the kick off and surprised he didn’t come up with a reason cancel our goal

I still think it's a penalty, but a yellow card at most. We'd be seething if it was the other way round and given as a corner.

Edited by Cheese

• Members
48 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

He won the ball and it should have been a corner; that ref knew it as well

Give over.

There's wearing white tinted glasses, but there's also being stupid.

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I still think it's a penalty, but a yellow card at most. We'd be seething if it was the other way round and given as a corner.

Read what you wrote above ‘there was only contact because the Blackpool player jumped forward over Santos’s legs’ and now you say it’s a penalty?

Doesn’t matter because it’s 4-1 to Blackpool regardless 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Read what you wrote above ‘there was only contact because the Blackpool player jumped forward over Santos’s legs’ and now you say it’s a penalty?

but 2-1 when it happened

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Yes, it can still be a foul if the opposition looks for it - it certainly wasn't a dive. Sheehan does it all the time - puts himself in the way so the opposition can't help but clatter him, and we win a free kick. When people talk about our team needing to employ more of the 'dark arts', this is a prime example. You'd be rightfully outraged if Charles went down in the box like that and it was given as a corner.

And you are incorrect that Santos won the ball. That was his objective, but he hit the player first - which is the important distinction.

Edited by Cheese

Weird how it only works one way in terms of having any intention of getting the ball. Their mon wasn’t interested one bit, he just wanted to make sure he gets some contact from Santos. But unless there’s a major re-writing of the rules then it’s always going to be a penalty. Referee has got off a little lightly in that the game had already gone by that point and it didn’t happen at 0-1 or 1-1.

13 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

@gonzo hope lads had a good day at school- i'd know i'd be bricking it. mad how divisive a game can be amongst adults let alone kids

Aye mate all passed without any violence st least. They are good kids and took all the stick well tbf.

Just felt bad for em going to bed on Sunday with their stomachs in knotts about the grief they were gonna get.

Ive sick of banging the drum about this fixture and Im often conscious Im coming across as trying to do so for my own intents and purposes, but Im not. I just live in the area and know exaclty what it means to the whole town. We are massive massvie scalp for the them. They raise their game from top to bottom, that extra 10% is usually the difference.

For some reason, much the same with Wigan, we seem to have this weird mentality amongst certain supporters, which will emanate into the club that we are too good for these small time rivalries and none of them should be taken seriously.

As long as folk have that attitude and the club and players read that particular room we will get humbled at places like Bloomfield Road forever and a day.

Suppose its what happens when you spend 50 years trying to make yourself relevant to a global super power who dont give one flying fuck about you.

Reep what you sow. 

5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

... its what happens when you spend 50 years trying to make yourself relevant to a global super power who dont give one flying fuck about you.

I can cope with them not giving us a second thought, I fckg hate it when they pretend to care & have 'a soft spot' for us.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Weird how it only works one way in terms of having any intention of getting the ball. Their mon wasn’t interested one bit, he just wanted to make sure he gets some contact from Santos. But unless there’s a major re-writing of the rules then it’s always going to be a penalty. Referee has got off a little lightly in that the game had already gone by that point and it didn’t happen at 0-1 or 1-1.

It was 2-1 at the time. The game certainly was not over. 

4 hours ago, Ani said:

Just read that the ref on Saturday was full time and has reffed in Premier League this year ! 

Probably helps explain the red card. In the Prem, it’s a yellow card for a fowl which gets mud on the opponent’s £3,000 boots. 

5 hours ago, Ani said:

Just read that the ref on Saturday was full time and has reffed in Premier League this year ! 

Can't decide if that's just worrying....or if the guy was used to having the back up of VAR to correct him. Either way at least it was rescinded.