Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hate Crime.

Scotland’s controversial new law. 
For or against?

The Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Act 2021 creates a new crime of "stirring up hatred" relating to age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, transgender identity or being intersex.

If everyone contributing to any social media platform was required to declare their true identity, would things improve? 

2 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

For or against?

The Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Act 2021 creates a new crime of "stirring up hatred" relating to age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, transgender identity or being intersex.

If everyone contributing to any social media platform was required to declare their true identity, would things improve? 

Good luck to those policing the next old firm 

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

Lots of misconceptions about this bill. It’ll be grand.

Nothing to get worked up about, you old English bastards. 

No misconceptions down here sunshine. Just be careful what you say up there. Mr Yousaf is watching 

IMG_1019.jpeg

2 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

For or against?

If people just stopped hating people for social media likes the world would rotate much more smoothly. 

• Members
1 hour ago, BobyBrno said:

Why?

I think it's dangerous territory when the state has the power to prosecute a member of the public for merely being "insulting" and for which it's thought the insult is "likely" (as opposed to intended) to stir up hatred

I also disagree with the recording of "non-crime hate incidents", which are nothing new but which this bill will further encourage

16 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

No misconceptions down here sunshine. Just be careful what you say up there. Mr Yousaf is watching 

IMG_1019.jpeg

😁

I’ll say what I like, most people will, it’ll be reet. 

Yousaf has insisted there is a “very high threshold” for prosecution and a “triple lock” on freedom of expression in the act, including an explicit clause, a “reasonableness” defence, and compatibility with the European convention on human rights.

Hopefully it will hold more scumbags to account. Those people who’ve been wearing Hamas headbands for example. 

• Members
2 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Yousaf has insisted there is a “very high threshold” for prosecution and a “triple lock” on freedom of expression in the act, including an explicit clause, a “reasonableness” defence, and compatibility with the European convention on human rights.

Well, it's what he claims at least

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

😁

I’ll say what I like, most people will, it’ll be reet. 

This is what we want. Proper 1970’s  talk. You are growing on me. 👍

3 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Well, it's what he claims at least

Welcomed by the EHRC as well.

Police Scotland have offered reassurances too.

Free speech isn’t the right to abusing people based on their sex, race etc. 

Genuine free speech won’t be affected. JK Rowling (a bit critic) was saying ‘arrest me’. But there’s no way her views will be deemed against the law. 

It’s a promising law. There will be difficulties at first, & a rise in reporting. But time will tell. 

12 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think it's dangerous territory when the state has the power to prosecute a member of the public for merely being "insulting" and for which it's thought the insult is "likely" (as opposed to intended) to stir up hatred

I also disagree with the recording of "non-crime hate incidents", which are nothing new but which this bill will further encourage

You sound like a lawyer. Most people with common sense know when people are being insulting. 

• Members
3 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Police Scotland have offered reassurances too.

The General Secretary of the Scottish Police Federation and the Association of Scottish Police Superintendents certainly hold a alternative view, so it's clearly not cut and dry

4 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Genuine free speech won’t be affected. JK Rowling (a bit critic) was saying ‘arrest me’. But there’s no way her views will be deemed against the law. 

On this, the Scottish government's Minister for Victims and Community Safety was less certain, stating:

"It would be a police matter for them to assess what happens

It could be reported and it could be investigated - whether the police would think it was criminal is up to Police Scotland"

11 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Free speech isn’t the right to abusing people based on their sex, race etc. 

Free speech is being able to say whatever you want in public and on social media platforms. Ive said previously, anonymity restricts that freedom. How many on here are willing to give up that anonymity? 
There was a time when most people on here knew each other. Not now. 

• Members
2 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Free speech is being able to say whatever you want in public and on social media platforms. Ive said previously, anonymity restricts that freedom. How many on here are willing to give up that anonymity? 
There was a time when most people on here knew each other. Not now. 

How does anonymity restrict freedom of speech?