Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

hierro to retire

Guest captain zero

Guest captain zero

Former Spain and Real Madrid defender Fernando Hierro has announced that he will retire at the end of this season.

"I'm clear about the decision but I wanted to leave it while I'm still playing at a high level," said the 37-year-old Bolton Wanderers star.

Hierro, who won a record of 89 caps for an outfield player for Spain, joined Bolton on a one-year deal last July.

He spent a season in Qatar after helping Real Madrid to six Spanish titles and three European Cups.

Hierro joined Real Madrid from Valladolid in 1989 but was discarded along with coach Vicente del Bosque a day after the club won the league title in June 2003.

Real have not won a major trophy since the two men left.

taken from bbc web site

It's a real shame, his experience in Europe could have really helped.

At least we have had the pleasure of watching him this season. Just think how good he must have been before he got old!

Guest The Special One

At least we have had the pleasure of watching him this season. Just think how good he must have been before he got old!

In a word, CLASS

In a word, CLASS

=D> =D>

Bit gutted...

Thought we could have had another season from him - even if he couldnt play every game his knowledge of european football would have been of benefit .

You can see the influence he has on the team - dictating where players need to move etc - more of a captain than jay jay for me.

What a player he must have been in his prime.

He'll get a cracking reception on sunday and rightly so.

=D>

Good time to announce it though. We've reached our goal. He will guarantee himself a great send off on Sunday now.

Gutted, cos I reckon he has been a big influence in the latter half of the season - especially after our piss-poor run in December

Weve have got a man from Spain

He will make us great again

That is why we sing his name

FER-NAN-DO HIERRO

• Moderators

Looks like I was wrong according to ABBA:

Can you hear the drums Fernando

I remember long ago another starry night like this

In the firelight Fernando

You were humming to yourself and softly strumming your guitar

I could hear the distant drums

And sounds of bugle calls were coming from afar

"BRUNO CROSSED IT IN THE AIR THAT NIGHT, YOU PASSED IT RIGHT, FERNANDO"

"BRUNO CROSSED IT IN THE AIR THAT NIGHT, YOU PASSED IT RIGHT, FERNANDO"

You came to us from Real Madrid, you only cost a quid, Fernando!

I???d like to add that it has been a great privilege to have watched the great man even in his twilight. Gifted players such as Fernando Hierro a rare in today???s game and his has been a thrill to watch him in action. His positioning, heading and passing is second to non and at the age of 37 it makes you wonder just what he was like 10-15 years ago.

It???s interesting to see that his former club ???Real Madrid??? with all its money haven???t won a trophy since his departure.

Think we should flood the messageboards and BEN with messages for him not to retire in the hope that he can stay for one more season and help us in Uefa next season?

I???d like to add that it has been a great privilege to have watched the great man even in his twilight. Gifted players such as Fernando Hierro a rare in today???s game and his has been a thrill to watch him in action. His positioning, heading and passing is second to non and at the age of 37 it makes you wonder just what he was like 10-15 years ago.

It???s interesting to see that his former club ???Real Madrid??? with all its money haven???t won a trophy since his departure.

Think we should flood the messageboards and BEN with messages for him not to retire in the hope that he can stay for one more season and help us in Uefa next season?

i think is heading is shite.

he looks unfit.

but he can knock it about a bit.

by the way 10-15 years ago he was 22-27.

and he was piss poor at pompey!

as great as he's been in the last few games, its probably best he retires on a high note, he obviously knows his legs cant take it!

and Villa......................

now if that performance had been from Hneric, there would have been people lynching him on here.

The time is right for hierro to go.

It will free up some wages and he wouldn't last another full season.

The man has too much dignity and pride to suffer the humiliation of not being up to it next season.

So, thanks very much Fernando for this season.

FERNANDO HIERRO: A TRUE GALACTICO.

• Moderators

i think is heading is shite.

he looks unfit.

but he can knock it about a bit.

by the way 10-15 years ago he was 22-27.

would that not be 27-22 :-k

I had my doubts about him lasting a full season to be honest, and perhaps he's on big bucks for someone we would use sparingly.

The guy has been class and it's better this way than him having to be dropped when his legs give up completely.

He deserves a better finale to his career and getting us into Europe for the first time is it.

Fernando Hierro...

=D>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.