Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Flight Connections

fruitbat69

Always flew direct to destinations but flying via another airport to get to my destinations.

They are 2 different airlines but an hour in between flights.

I am concerned if the 1st flight is delayed and not a lot of leeway,will the second airline hold the plane.

Also will the 1st airline automatically transfer baggage to the 2nd airline or do you collect it yourself.

If it is the same airline will they do the above.

Any advice please

if you are booked to say Belgrade from Manc via Zurich then your luggage will go to Belgrade without

you picking it up in Zurich

as for delays i dont know about that usually they will wait but if its a bad delay they will lose their

own slots on the runways etc.

if you are booked to say Belgrade from Manc via Zurich then your luggage will go to Belgrade without

as for delays i dont know about that usually they will wait but if its a bad delay they will lose their

If theres 20 or 30 on the same connection then they may wait, if you are on your own forget it.

If it's different airlines your connecting flight will not wait.

If it's the same airline, they MAY wait depending on length of delay and number of passengers connecting from your flight.

Baggage should be transferred automatically even if it's different airlines, but if time is tight may not make it. Allow 30-45 mins., minimum depending on which airport.

If it's a different airline, then they won't wait, if it's the same, they do.

My advise on a tight connection is, don't check your baggage unless it is really neccesary.

Always flew direct to destinations but flying via another airport to get to my destinations.

I am concerned if the 1st flight is delayed and not a lot of leeway,will the second airline hold the plane.

Also will the 1st airline automatically transfer baggage to the 2nd airline or do you collect it yourself.

Any advice please

I suffered with this once. We were going to New York via Gatwick and even though the journey was on one ticket the shuttle from Manchester to Gatwick was with BA and the onward flight to NYC with Continental. The outward flight was delayed so we got to check-in with Continental 5 minutes after the desk closed and they wouldn't let us on even though there was still 55 minutes before departure, they had our bags and knew we were at Gatwick!!! They were actually in the process of removing our bags from the plane whilst we were stood arguing at check-in! Dealing with a US airline probably didn't help us here I admit, but my experience suggests that they probably won't hold the flight. However, I think they'd be more likely to hold the connection if both parts of your journey were with the same airline.

Even though our bags were checked all the way through, we had to check in twice. Maybe you could ask to check in for the connecting flight at the same time as your first flight? Again, with it being 2 airlines, I don't know if this is possible. Also, you'd have more protection from a missed connection if your flights are all on the same ticket as it officially counts as the same journey. In our case, BA had to compensate us. If you have 2 tickets (eg. Manchester to Gatwick as one fare then Gatwick to NYC as an entirely different fare) then you've got no chance as the time between connections is your responsibility entirely.

The best bit of advice I can give you though is that if worst comes to worst and you do miss your connection but manage to arrange another flight to get you to your final destination, make sure that you re-confirm all of your return trip with the airlines. As we found to our cost, if you don't make a flight and then don't re-confirm the return, the airline will assume that you never reached your destination at all and cancel your ticket!

If it's a different airline, then they won't wait, if it's the same, they do.

My advise on a tight connection is, don't check your baggage unless it is really neccesary.

Problem is pal,I where contact lenses so need to bring solutions.

Also need to bring shaving gear so guess they won't allow me to bring it on plane.

Also need to bring shaving gear so guess they won't allow me to bring it on plane.

Easy, 100ml (I think thats the size) container of contact lens solution can go through security. Buy shaving foam airside after security.

You can take liquids upto 100ml in your hand luggage now so you should be OK with your contact lens solutions. As for shaving stuff, buy it once you've got through security or grow a beard.

Sorry about the echo!

Edited by Buford T Justice

You can take liquids upto 100ml in your hand luggage now so you should be OK with your contact lens solutions. As for shaving stuff, buy it once you've got through security or grow a beard.

Sorry about the echo!

More worried about the blades in the manual shaver.

Any advice please

Morning all

Right the answers to these two questions are

If the first flight is delayed they will try and get you on a later flight if it is a through fare i.e. the whole trip is with BA. if you have booked with 2 separate airlines and you?ve got 2 separate tickets (i.e easy jet and then air Berlin) it is your responsibility to make it for the second flight on time as the airline gets charger ?2500 for every minute its delayed so the second flight will not wait if your delayed from the first. They will also probably make you buy another ticket. the only exception to this will be if the flight is specifically designated to the football fans and everyone on the second flight is coming off the first flight.

pretty much the same as above where luggage is concerned if the whole trip is with, say, BA but its via, say, Paris then BA will make sure your luggage goes straight through but if you?ve booked with 2 different airlines and have two different tickets then again its your responsibility to get your luggage from one to the other.

Source for this, I?m a travel agent and deal with this sort of stuff on a Daley basis.

Morning all

If the first flight is delayed they will try and get you on a later flight if it is a through fare i.e. the whole trip is with BA. if you have booked with 2 separate airlines and you?ve got 2 separate tickets (i.e easy jet and then air Berlin) it is your responsibility to make it for the second flight on time as the airline gets charger ?2500 for every minute its delayed so the second flight will not wait if your delayed from the first. They will also probably make you buy another ticket. the only exception to this will be if the flight is specifically designated to the football fans and everyone on the second flight is coming off the first flight.

pretty much the same as above where luggage is concerned if the whole trip is with, say, BA but its via, say, Paris then BA will make sure your luggage goes straight through but if you?ve booked with 2 different airlines and have two different tickets then again its your responsibility to get your luggage from one to the other.

Source for this, I?m a travel agent and deal with this sort of stuff on a Daley basis.

ok how about if the journey is with companies that are in one of these alliances ?

like star alliance ?

• Moderators
OK I have a question

If you are travelling to say Munich for instance but you first have to go to Zurich say with Swiss Air but the second part of your journey is with Lufthansa for example, can you buy 10,000 Lambert and Butler at Manny airport?

I have no idea, but this is the route I am on too.

OK I have a question

If you are travelling to say Munich for instance but you first have to go to Zurich say with Swiss Air but the second part of your journey is with Lufthansa for example, can you buy 10,000 Lambert and Butler at Manny airport?

The answer to this is obvious:

Yes, you can buy them.

However, you might get them taken off you on arrival in germany.

The answer to this is obvious:

Yes, you can buy them.

However, you might get them taken off you on arrival in germany.

That's the gamble

What I was unsure about was whether Manny Airport would allow my travelling companions to purchase them given that their end destination was Munich

But I suppose the boarding card will say Zurich so all is well

That's the gamble

What I was unsure about was whether Manny Airport would allow my travelling companions to purchase them given that their end destination was Munich

But I suppose the boarding card will say Zurich so all is well

Manchester Airport wouldn't give two f?cks about selling them, if your boarding card has Zurich on. They just want the sale!

Morning all

You might be a travel agent, but I said exactly the same previously but in 2 sentences.

I suffered with this once. We were going to New York via Gatwick and even though the journey was on one ticket the shuttle from Manchester to Gatwick was with BA and the onward flight to NYC with Continental. The outward flight was delayed so we got to check-in with Continental 5 minutes after the desk closed and they wouldn't let us on even though there was still 55 minutes before departure, they had our bags and knew we were at Gatwick!!! They were actually in the process of removing our bags from the plane whilst we were stood arguing at check-in! Dealing with a US airline probably didn't help us here I admit, but my experience suggests that they probably won't hold the flight. However, I think they'd be more likely to hold the connection if both parts of your journey were with the same airline.

Even though our bags were checked all the way through, we had to check in twice. Maybe you could ask to check in for the connecting flight at the same time as your first flight? Again, with it being 2 airlines, I don't know if this is possible. Also, you'd have more protection from a missed connection if your flights are all on the same ticket as it officially counts as the same journey. In our case, BA had to compensate us. If you have 2 tickets (eg. Manchester to Gatwick as one fare then Gatwick to NYC as an entirely different fare) then you've got no chance as the time between connections is your responsibility entirely.

Flight is with the same airline so hopefully no probs.

The best bit of advice I can give you though is that if worst comes to worst and you do miss your connection but manage to arrange another flight to get you to your final destination, make sure that you re-confirm all of your return trip with the airlines. As we found to our cost, if you don't make a flight and then don't re-confirm the return, the airline will assume that you never reached your destination at all and cancel your ticket!

Morning all

If the first flight is delayed they will try and get you on a later flight if it is a through fare i.e. the whole trip is with BA. if you have booked with 2 separate airlines and you've got 2 separate tickets (i.e easy jet and then air Berlin) it is your responsibility to make it for the second flight on time as the airline gets charger ?2500 for every minute its delayed so the second flight will not wait if your delayed from the first. They will also probably make you buy another ticket. the only exception to this will be if the flight is specifically designated to the football fans and everyone on the second flight is coming off the first flight.

pretty much the same as above where luggage is concerned if the whole trip is with, say, BA but its via, say, Paris then BA will make sure your luggage goes straight through but if you've booked with 2 different airlines and have two different tickets then again its your responsibility to get your luggage from one to the other.

Source for this, I'm a travel agent and deal with this sort of stuff on a Daley basis.

"Here's yer flight voucher Terry"

8.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.