Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

And I Thought We Were Fickle

no balls

• Site Supporter
Just watching the West Ham "fans" booing their team off after their win.

They're in the top half, safe and the subtitution they booed scored the winner.

What do they want, to win the World Cup again?

class A cocks, the lot of em...

The West Ham fans expect their team to be higher up the league, regardless of whether they are good enough. I think they call it ambition.

Ambition? I call it just plain rude and unknowledgeable (oh and deluded as the Bear says).

Just saying like.

I understand the Chelsea fans boo Grant - thy're only chasing ManU for the title and in the Chumps League semi.

And the Liverpool fans would like to hang their Owners - they're not spending enough money apparently.

Some people need to get back into the real world .....

• Moderators
I understand the Chelsea fans boo Grant - thy're only chasing ManU for the title and in the Chumps League semi.

And the Liverpool fans would like to hang their Owners - they're not spending enough money apparently.

Some people need to get back into the real world .....

yeah, and add plenty of ours

No, we want decent football, and pay through the teeth to see something resembling it.

we've made it known home and away for months,

if we'd applauded the same negative style that we'd been served up for months now and celebrated it on the back of a win against Derby.....

THEN we'd be fickle.

the league placing is irrelevant.

No, we want decent football, and pay through the teeth to see something resembling it.

if we'd applauded the same negative style that we'd been served up for months now and celebrated it on the back of a win against Derby.....

THEN we'd be fickle.

You see that's what many Bolton fans thought, but really it plain and simply isn't:

Lots of us were bored with Allardyce's football - yet we had consistently good league finishes

Up pops Sammy Lee without a negative style and all of a sudden we were rooted to the bottom of the league

Guess which we preferred?

• Site Supporter

THEN we'd be fickle.

out of interest, would you take decent football back in the championship?

Up pops Sammy Lee without a negative style and all of a sudden we were rooted to the bottom of the league

did you mean positive?

if you?re a bit confused, just try the tongue-test..... you'll not forget again!

Homer Jay - yep, I would.

Wasn't unduly bothered this time last year - Premiership's overated, over hyped and too bigger percentage of the games are dull affairs, with both teams scared witless about conceding a goal. Moneys ruined it, and enjoyed games just as much if not more in the Championship - might have lacked the quality, but the games were morre exciting, end to end and unpredictable. Also get to visit grounds that still have a semblance of what going to games in the 70s and 80s was all about.

Travel all over the shop and over time you meet a lot who've been going decades - nearly all of the same opinion, we're playing the most negative, uninspiring, dull football, that any of us can remember.

You cut your cloth accordingly, but Curbishley has spent a shed load of money, employing footballers on high wages even by premiership standards, and while I'm more than happy with 10th, with the players at his disposal and the relative strength of the squad, to say that we could have only achieved survival by employing negative sterile football week in week out is a nonsense.

And even if we had had to, that doesn't excuse the fact that since achieving survival, the tactics have become even more dull.

You lot saw us at your place - you were desperate for the points, we had nothing to worry about other than finishing 10th or 11th - the team playing the attacking football won 1-0 and deservedly so, given that we went out to try and stifle from the start, and offered practically nothing up front - which has been Curbishley's plan A, B and c, even when safety was assured.

A succession of dull, liefeless games where we lose 1-0, or others where they look like they're already on holiday and lose 4-0, news that the third most expensive tickets in the country are going up again, and a scraped victory again without anything much on the attacking front against Derby?

You can't be pissed off with some of the most negative tactics you've witnessed for weeks on end, and then jump up and down with joy after scraping an undeserved win at home to Derby - That would make you fickle.

Leigh White - I think there's a growing trend of fans of a certain age looking towards non league as an alternative - reckon I'll keep going, but the drinks before and after games, travel with mates etc, used to be a sideshow to the main event, the actual match - increasingly, it seems to be the other way round.

Loyaltys the main thing that keeps a lot of us going I suppose, but when the clubs themselves drop a lot of the things that made you loyal to them in the first place, you wonder what it is you're still being loyal to - fellow support and the buzz at away games tops an ever dwindling list.

• Moderators
Leigh White - I think there's a growing trend of fans of a certain age looking towards non league as an alternative - reckon I'll keep going, but the drinks before and after games, travel with mates etc, used to be a sideshow to the main event, the actual match - increasingly, it seems to be the other way round.

agree wholeheartedly, however, with the cost of football, the tv saturation etc etc even the "sideshows" are becoming a rarity as people are stopping going

making the whole affair not as good as it used to be

or maybe me and my mates are just getting a bit old

• Site Supporter

Loyaltys the main thing that keeps a lot of us going I suppose, but when the clubs themselves drop a lot of the things that made you loyal to them in the first place, you wonder what it is you're still being loyal to - fellow support and the buzz at away games tops an ever dwindling list.

now im as big a bolton fan as anyone, but if myfootballclub bought chorley rather than ebbsfleet i could seriously see myself attending more chorley than bolton games.

bollocks, i couldnt........yet

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.