Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton V West Ham

M G WHITES

• Site Supporter
I must admint I was still a bit frustrated by the starting XI yesterday.

Why revert to a 4-4-2 formation with players that don't really fit into that format. It's all well and good playing Riccy G as an out and out left winger, but putting Taylor out wide right to accomodate just seems to detract from Taylors game. I couldn't see what harm it would do to drop Taylor and give Lee Chung a start, then if it became evident Lee couldn't hack it we could change things.

Having McCann and Muamba seemed to give us no forward options from the middle of the park, but i suppose you could argue who else we could have put alongside Muamba, with Cohen, Basham and Davies.M all being to inexperienced themselves to play in the centre with a 21 year old.

It was good a see a front pairing and Klasnic being given a start, but not alongside Davies.K, would have preferred to have seen Elmander line up alongside him.

However, after a decent, but still frustrating 70 minutes of a fairly open game, the introudction of Lee, Cohen and Elmander definately shook things up. It seemed we had energy and a cutting edge which was lacking before hand and Megson should take the credit for making these changes when he did. Before this match I believed we did have the players who would add an attacking impoteus to our play without taking anything away defensively, but it seemed Megson preferred to stick with what he knew best with his rigid approach in the league regardless of opposition.

Hopefully this match has proven to Megson that he has players at his disposal who can open up Premiership teams and give us an extra dimension and there is no harm in playing a 4-5-1 formation as long as maybe one or two of the midfield five are given a license to probe and try and make things happen in the oppositions half.

I was delighted with the last 45 mins or so of the game and now I'd expect Megson to field a similar sort of line up which finished this match from the start against Prem sides outside the top 8, especially at home.

But well done Gary Megson and the Bolton Wanderers players for getting it right in the end.

id say that was nitpicking a little.

how do you drop arguably our best player?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A really good night.

Lee (and Elmander )were great when they came on ,but everyone played their part.

I thought Gardner went off because he looked exhausted ,but that was the only moaning i heard. Nobody seemed to turn on the team / manager when West Ham scored , there didn"t seem to be people creeping out before the end and the whole atmosphere was more positive.

Maybe we"re better off with smaller crowds of people who actually support the team - players and fans all seemed happier.

Scunthorpe away next round ,please.

It just goes to show that we can actually play 4-4-2 and get a positive result.

We were poor until we brought a right winger on though.

For me, Taylor could play in the middle with a more defensive midfielder with him. Gardener on the left, Korean on the right. 2 upfront.

If we stop shitting it, we might shock a few people, me included.

Lets see a gamble at the weekend, would prefer to win 1 away out of 3 rather than try and get 3 draws.

id say that was nitpicking a little.

how do you drop arguably our best player?

i'd have to agree that putting taylor on the right is clearly the wrong choice when we've got someone like lee, it is a bit of a selection headache though.

is it possible to have taylor and ricky on the same side of the pitch at the same time? i don't know, but there is only one way to find out.

for me putting taylor on the left side of midfield with ricky sitting infront could work and i'd like to see it. i must say that its nice we can be having these types of discussion instead of tearing shreds of each other.

That was fcuking smashing tonight :yahoo:

Great game and our fans(yoof)never shut up

All you stayaways tonight,you missed out =D>

Was in the West Stand last neet but when Davies equalised ran out and popped into the ESL

Found meself in me youth again and a reet good sing song (not the chavvy shiiite mind)

I dont want to get carried away as West Ham were poor defensivley and for long periods last night they were the better team, but as MG said the fans who turned up didnt boo and got behind the team and it went fookin bananas in the ESL when Cahill slammed in the 2nd.........

Definatley work to be done but onwards and upwards :yahoo:

SCUNTHORPE AWAY PLEASE NEXT ROUND :drinks: :drinks:

My team for saturday would be

--------------Jussi-----------------

Ricketts---Cahill--Knight---Samuel

-------Mccann--Muamba--Taylor

Chungy-------------------------Gardner

---------------Davies

They would be terriffied of that pace out wide and we could counter attack quick instead of letting all their players get back like we usually do. I would have S.Davis in Mccanns place when hes fit but I think Mccann would be ok with that pace around him. Klasnic and Elmander to come off the bench as well if needed.

• Site Supporter

---------------Davies

They would be terriffied of that pace out wide and we could counter attack quick instead of letting all their players get back like we usually do. I would have S.Davis in Mccanns place when hes fit but I think Mccann would be ok with that pace around him. Klasnic and Elmander to come off the bench as well if needed.

i like that, but i think klasnic need to start games to gain match fitness.

---------------Davies

Would not be disappointed with that line up but I would play Gardner left of the midfield 3 and Taylor wide left, also I would keep Chungy in reserve as an impact sub, probably start with Elmander wide right.

• Site Supporter
Was in the West Stand last neet but when Davies equalised ran out and popped into the ESL

Found meself in me youth again and a reet good sing song (not the chavvy shiiite mind)

I dont want to get carried away as West Ham were poor defensivley and for long periods last night they were the better team, but as MG said the fans who turned up didnt boo and got behind the team and it went fookin bananas in the ESL when Cahill slammed in the 2nd.........

Definatley work to be done but onwards and upwards :yahoo:

SCUNTHORPE AWAY PLEASE NEXT ROUND :drinks: :drinks:

better team when? for the 1st 15 mins but thats it.

rest if the time they thought they were arsenal (nice tidy triangles) but in their own half. now to me that is boring football!

rest if the time they thought they were arsenal (nice tidy triangles) but in their own half. now to me that is boring football!

Its about opinions Homer and to me for 45 minutes they were far the better side imo.......

i counted at least 8 attempts on goal to our 3 in the first half, Its about results though. Im not bashing us at all but i thought they were far superior to us in the first half.

You can tell Zola is the boss, some nice pretty football but unfortunatly for them shiite defensively.

I agree, a guy next to me said it's beautiful football to watch. Apart from the first 5 minutes and hitting the bar late on, they never threatened with it. They passed very nicely in their own half but against a well organised team they're couldn't open us up, and when they needed to score they hoofed to Cole.

• Site Supporter
Its about opinions Homer and to me for 45 minutes they were far the better side imo.......

i counted at least 8 attempts on goal to our 3 in the first half, Its about results though. Im not bashing us at all but i thought they were far superior to us in the first half.

You can tell Zola is the boss, some nice pretty football but unfortunatly for them shiite defensively.

you are correct, shame you opinion isnt. :p

Jussi

Ricketts Cahill Knight Samuel

Lee Chong Muamba Taylor Gardener

Davies Elmander/Klasnic

We could hit balls succesfully to Davies last night because he had support from another forward and later on wingers who were prepared to get behind the full backs. Taylor isn't a classic winger but could easily adapt to be a decent midfielder.

Sack the attitude of we will be too open and get picked off. It's fookin Brum for fook sake. They are hardly ripping teams apart are they.

Ye, I'm thinking similar to whizz...

---------------------Jussi---------------------

Steinsson----Cahill-----Knight-----Samuel

-------------------Muamba------------------

---Chungy---------------------Gardner----

--------------------Taylor-------------------

--------K. Davies----------Klasnic----------

Looks pretty decent on paper but could be a little bit too attacking?

Away from home I would tylswhite team, at home I would have yours

He should go with this line-up:

Ricketts, Cahill, Knight, Gardner

---------Muamba, Cohen-----------------

Davies, Elmander, Klasnic, Flung Dung

ATTACK!

ATTACK!

ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK!

Edited by Traf

Defo when playing at home , but away from home would swap Klasnic for mcann or davies .

It just shows when having a go at teams we can compete

I thought McCann had a good game, but don't think we need him and Muamba

I think the defence is starting to get a greater understanding which will hopefully make it look a bit more solid.

The only change I would make to last nights starting 11 would be Cohen for McCann. I don't think Gardner or Lee are ready to play 90 minutes yet. Lee would be effective to bring on as their defence tires.

Just reading our Gary's comment's bout last night game and he brought to light these facts...

Last 5 games, 3 wins 1 draw and only lost to Liverpool because we went down to ten men

Were on a roll :D

Haha i like how Mego always looks at the positives!

We've also won only twice in our last 16, Drawn 6, and lost 8. Not including cup games. Glass half empty, half full scenario. Got to look at the whole picture.

Edited by Gaz Nt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.