Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

WBA 2 Wanderers 1

Ratwhite

Don't normally feel the need to post, more of a voyeur me like, but a few things worried me today -

- Jussi asking the ballboy to waste time after about three minutes in.

- Jussi's refusal to play the ball on the deck to his defenders, despite them pleading with him to do so for the whole of the first half.

- Paul Robinson looks terrified every time he receives the ball.

- Most Bolton stood around me were eating the middle of their pies with a fork and leaving the crust/lid.

I've read some shite on here this morning but that's got to be the most ridiculous comment of the lot.

indeed.

Coyles problem isn't alienating the players it's that he seems incapable of doing anything that might cause them to become alienated in the first place, such as delivering a good bollocking etc

oh an when you bring on wingers like Petrov and Kakuta it generally helps if you give the ball to them rather than humpoing the ball in the vague direction of N'gog and Klasnic and hoping then can play like Kev Davies circa 2005

Agreed, Although N'gog held it up twice and brought M.Davies into play late on which is more than KDavies in the previous 70mins

Without saying "Because I'm keeping the faith" "I still Believe", can someone, anyone, tell me everything's going to be alright?

We are nearly a third of the season gone, we have 9 points from 12 games, ok so trebling that equals to only 36 games, so let's say we do beat Everton next week, that'll be 12 points from 13 games, trebling that now comes to just over 38 games with 39 and on average we'd be looking at 36 points, take away the 1, so looking around 35/36 points.

We still have to play the big sides again, Spurs twice and I don't think Bolton can claim that any game is a winnable game, a game we should win, any-more.

9 points from 13 games, 25 games to go, we're going to have to somehow get consistency and sustain it, we can't get any confidence from a win, the revenge of Stoke was proved to be just a rare win and it didn't erase any bad memories from Wembley, that's been proved to not be an excuse for our pathetic win/loss ratio.

It's just we are a poor side, even poorer without our 2 best players in Holden and Lee and we don't have the goals of Elmander and Sturridge, yes Klasnic is doing well, but we need far more from other players and I just think they haven't got it in 'em.

We can't go on losing a few, winning one, losing a few etc, we're not even getting draws, we have had terrible luck with injuries, we lost a lot of goals and assists in the players who left, returned to their parent club or got long term injuries, we also were given an unfair start to the season fixture list, however people said the games will come easier and that was something to get optimistic about, we also thought Holden was going to return in October, but then we hear he'll be out for months again, we then have the hope that the Stoke win will be like a curse has been lifted, we then lose the next game.

So as I said at the beginning of this depressing post, what exactly can Bolton do to survive, what can we go off to feel optimistic? what have we got player wise that can help us get consistency?

These rare wins are pointless if they're always going to be followed by a defeat, sorry defeats, it's gone on for far too long and if/when Relegation happens, we'll then enter an even more depressing situation and the debt will become that more of a problem.

Edited by Didledee

I've read some shite on here this morning but that's got to be the most ridiculous comment of the lot.

We all have differing opinions but I will back up my comments, Steinson,Knight been subjected to poor handling by Coyle and subsequently gone from looking OK 18 months ago to now looking resigned to leaving the club for nowt, muamba and wheater had the cold shoulder and after extended and un warranted absence from the team are now back in the fold and doing pretty well, Ngog now out of favour despite not been giving any extended game time Tuncay and Kakuta have not been given any game time and must be wondering what they have done to be treated so poorly,m I thinmk you can virtually go through the full squad and say they nearly all have been handled poorly, my view is based on individiual performances body language and results and I don't think I'm far wide of the mark.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Moderators

re kakuta and tuncay

if i'd been told last august that they'd have played round about 1 full game between em by december, i'd have thought we'd have been sitting nice n pretty in the top half

well, seeing as we're not, i can only ask

kakuta and tuncay...why?

Every time we win a game the following week is international break. Anyhow back to the game. What agravated me more than anything is the fact that each time WBA cleared their lines it fell straight to a striped shirt. No matter if it was a hoof, bang, straight to a striped shirt,we just don`t get the rub of the green.

Diddles, Its going to be all right....

We really need 20pts at by the end of the year (half way 19 game mark)

We are on 9 so need 11 pts from 7, IMO I cannot see us getting anything at Spurs or Fulham so the other 5 games are crucial (win 3 draw 2 = 11pts).

Everton

Villa

Newcastle

Wolves

All at home and we need to win at least 3, dont forget a crucial 6 pointer away at Blackburn.

If we can get to the half way mark there or thereabouts then we will be all right as I think we will get better in the second half of the season when key players return from injury. Add a January transfer window allowing us to get a couple of guys in and its hunky dorey.

Big vocal home support required for these 4 games.

COYWM

First half, their goal excepted, I think we performed well and as an away team you'd take it

2nd half we appeared to come out having reverted to fear of failure again

We stopped pressing as a unit and seemed to have dropped 10 yards; huge sign of a lack of confidence

In a big advocate of mark Davies on the right but he needs to be told about positioning.....when Riley had the ball he drifted inside alot, thus narrowing the pitch but also being in the space to block a ball along the floor to K Davies/Klasnic...this forced young Riley to play it long too often

OC and his staff have to take responsibility for the second half where we visibly shrunk

As Gumbo said yesterday there is also no real obvious leader on the pitch....we need one to come forward and the whole team needs to stop being fearful of mistakes.....it can't be blamed upon an expectant home crowd anymore either as yesterday they were well backed by a vociferous and positive following

• Moderators

i bumped into a wways poster at half time

he said it was just like swansea and so long as we kept 11 on the pitch, we'd win

i agreed it was like swansea and we'd get beat 4-1

for me, the signs were there first half - they had runners getting behind our back 4, at will

on the mark davies point, watching from behind the goal gives a different perspective and what i didn't get was why riley wasn't playing the balls into the space davies was creating..if nothing else, it takes the play 60 yards from our goal...admittedly, the immobile davies and klasnic won't be chasing it, but that lad we bought for 4 million might have an interest

on 'narrowness'

petrov is a winger, yes?

so why did he not play wide, instead of 25 yards off the touchline?

oh an when you bring on wingers like Petrov and Kakuta it generally helps if you give the ball to them rather than humpoing the ball in the vague direction of N'gog and Klasnic and hoping then can play like Kev Davies circa 2005

Ex bleeding actly. It's bad enough replacing ineffective wingers with different ineffective wingers, but once you've brought them on, you might as well give them the ball. Kakuta is supposed to be like shit off a shovel, so maybe we could have tried playing the ball behind the full back for him to run on to....anything different....nope.

Instead we take off our target man & promptly start hoofing high balls up to Ngog who won nothing, while our fresh wingers (& Klasnic as usual ) stand around doing fuck all.

Another tactical fuck up was that W/Brom seemed to target Riley in the 2nd half & yet Coyle didn't react in any way to a problem that everyone else could see. We all knew the second goal was coming.

After their second goal there never looked any chance of us fighting back & West Brom looked more likely to increase their lead.

It's getting harder & harder to be optimistic & i'd happily settle for finishing 17th now.

did anyone have any indian fodder in The Vine? it smelt better and better as the beers went down

They looked tempting. Especially as the were carrying them at nose height through the pub. That bitter was excellent, worth the trip down just for that.

Ex bleeding actly. It's bad enough replacing ineffective wingers with different ineffective wingers, but once you've brought them on, you might as well give them the ball. Kakuta is supposed to be like shit off a shovel, so maybe we could have tried playing the ball behind the full back for him to run on to....anything different....nope.

Instead we take off our target man & promptly start hoofing high balls up to Ngog who won nothing, while our fresh wingers (& Klasnic as usual ) stand around doing fuck all.

Another tactical fuck up was that W/Brom seemed to target Riley in the 2nd half & yet Coyle didn't react in any way to a problem that everyone else could see. We all knew the second goal was coming.

After their second goal there never looked any chance of us fighting back & West Brom looked more likely to increase their lead.

It's getting harder & harder to be optimistic & i'd happily settle for finishing 17th now.

so do we drop a player who has scored 13 in 18 starts?

Diddles, Its going to be all right....

We really need 20pts at by the end of the year (half way 19 game mark)

We are on 9 so need 11 pts from 7, IMO I cannot see us getting anything at Spurs or Fulham so the other 5 games are crucial (win 3 draw 2 = 11pts).

Everton

Villa

Newcastle

Wolves

All at home and we need to win at least 3, dont forget a crucial 6 pointer away at Blackburn.

If we can get to the half way mark there or thereabouts then we will be all right as I think we will get better in the second half of the season when key players return from injury. Add a January transfer window allowing us to get a couple of guys in and its hunky dorey.

Big vocal home support required for these 4 games.

COYWM

thats the stuff a bit of positivety we,ve really got to back the lads in the next few games and i think the game against b/burn is becoming more and more important in terms of supporting the team i know its on telly and its midweek but the team cant hear your support from your living room could'nt get to game yesterday ended up watching rovers against wigan on foreign telly thats the only game they were showing in the pub and you think we got defensive problems both teams were absolute shite rovers only main threat was hoilett keep him quite and i think we'll beat em

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.