Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

New York

worthy10

• 2 weeks later...

Burger joint mentioned by northern star is supposed to do the best burgers in the world; gutted when I couldn't find it

I had a hot dog off the street and it was alreet

The ice hockey is brilliant

The rock much better than empire state

Locals aren't that friendly; some bloke walked into me and then had a go at me for being a tourist; my missus had to get me to walk away from the clown

Take comfy shoes for plenty of walking

We saw the NY marathon, it was quality

You'll have a belting time

• Moderators

Been twice and as much as there are other places I must see in the world I wouldn't hesitate going there again

4 days wouldn't be enough to see everything in that you should get a bus tour ticket over a day or two and get off at the stuff you really want to see and see the rest from the bus, that said I walked from battery to central park up broadway, was ace way to pass 5 hours or so

The statue of liberty was underwhelming up close so would plump for the free queue less staten island ferry for views of the bay

Williamsburg in Brooklyn is good for a night out, there's a retro arcade bar (barcadia maybe) and a bowling alley bar that are worth a beer or two

Nobu is quite possibly the best meal I've ever had

I went up the wtc's on 9/2, came back 9/7

• 2 months later...

Im going to go bout this time next year with the missus! 4 nights im thinking, however what im wondering it the cheapest easiest way to get there ans stay! Flights and hotel seperate? Through an agent so as to pay off monthly and you know you are def going...............

this is all great, but where do you go to get hammered until 4am?

i have 15 nights to fill

I have a friend lives in New York, he's a DJ at some trendy discotheque place so should be able to help you out with some late night dives.

When you going?

• Moderators

this is all great, but where do you go to get hammered until 4am?

i have 15 nights to fill

Anywhere and everywhere, you don't need tips for that (east village best bet)

Brooklyn good night out too and less twatty than manhattan in terms of locals

Edited by ZicoKelly

Took a cruise round the island with circle line i think, was really quite nice.

Take in a show if you can at night, use the TKTS booth in time square can get you some proper cheap tickets to stuff

Good restaurant i went to with the missus was a place called virgils http://www.virgilsbbq.com/, go hungry, you will be filled up no problem.

If your feeling like taking in a rare bit of culture check out whats on at the Guggenheim or MOMA (some proper weird modern art in there, but some of it is really good), on the east side of central park

For me Ellis island was a bit boring, would only bother with if you are really interested in american history. Especially if you have limited time, i just used the. there is a ferry that heads right past it (staten island ferry i think)

Been twice, 1995 and 2000.

Went up to the top of the Statue of Liberty when you still could, rather than just the pedestal. Agreed about Ellis Island. If you're stuck for time it's missable. Stayed midtown near Madison Square Gardens which was great for Times Square and Central Park (10 to 15 minutes walk)

Got down to the WTC in 2000 which was strange considering 12 months later they were gone. Greenwich Village at night is fantastic and if you go to Madison Square Gardens or Radio City Music Hall they have a list of gigs for the week or so you're there. Caught some cracking live bands in off Broadway clubs which are off the regular tourist trap.

Never got off Manhatten (apart from the Liberty Ferry) but have been reccommended Yankee Stadium and the Bronx Zoo which I intend to do next time.

I love New York and could happily go back another 10 times without getting bored.

• Site Supporter

I went to NYC in November to run/walk the marathon and missed our home game with Stoke! Never mind, loved the city. The Boathouse restaurant in Central Park is a great place to take the Mrs, especially if its sunny. Get there and book a table for a bit later and use the time to wander round central park.

Rockerfella is miles better view than the Empire State Building.

Hogs & Heifers bar in the meatpacking district is ace - its what the Coyote Ugly is based on and is used for some of the outside scenes.

Use the subway for getting around - taxis are stupidly expensive because of the traffic.

Stone Street down near the financial district and Staten Island ferry is a great little place for pubs and bars. Staten Island ferry also has great views of the statue of liberty, its free and doesn't get crowded the same as the ferries which go to liberty island.

The helicopter ride over the city is great but a little expensive.

Plenty of restaurants near the theatre district have theatre specials on where you can eat cheaper - my favourite is the Capital Bar & Grille in the Time Life building.

Greenwich Village & SoHo is worth a visit - so too Little Italy.

McSorleys as someone has mentioned is also great for meeting characters who like to talk boxing