Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Teachers Striker Over Pay Again

HomerJay

I have been teaching since 98 and have no problem with those on here who think striking is out of order. To be fair, most teachers agree with you.....that's why most of them didn't ballot for action. And like any profession there are a minority who are lazy and out of touch with reality. Yes some have spent most of their lives in education but believe me this number is far less than it once was.

I know I'm lucky to be in work......but I also know that I work hard at the job that I do. I stay in work until 6pm or 7pm most evenings and usually have stuff to do when I get home. In all honesty, I had 2 weeks this summer away from work - the other 4 I spent in work. I appreciate getting a couple of weeks at Christmas but as for all the rest of the holidays (Easter, half term etc) I am in work - usually doing revision classes.

I would happily trade my 'holidays' for overtime, flexible working hours and holidays......maybe I'd have been able to go to Munich, Lisbon and Belgrade a few years ago like the rest of my mates did.......and before anyone says 'You knew what you were signing up for'......I did but I never expected us to be in Europe!! :give_rose:

The idea that all teachers are lazy really is a myth

What kind of 'real job' did this traitor to the teaching race do before his early retirement? Put tops on toothpaste tubes? Quality control at a biscuit factory?

It's a coincidence that, I was talking to a copper at the match, he said it was a piece of piss - they just drive around all day.

I think all those spouting about 'real' jobs should have a long, hard think about what they do, and how essential the service or product etc. they provide is to folks' daily lives.

Like another poster pointed out, there's plenty in teaching who've experienced both sides of the coin - not many of the detractors have, so are therefore misinformed at best. Unless you count anecdotal evidence from sister's brothers and mates in the pub.

Anyway, I couldn't give a shit anymore, as I now do a 'real' job, selling expensive toys (not dildos or 'pocket pussies' ™ ! drag your minds out of the gutter for a minute :)) to grown-ups who have more disposable income than sense. It's a real keystone position and the cogs of society would grind to a halt if I, or others like me, stopped for a day. It's also a piece of piss and I could probably condense my working day into 2 hours if I tried, especially if I didn't spend ages pissing about on here and other sites.

It always brings a smile to my face that, when somebody (who's doing it for real, not as a contrarian/W.U.M.) is waffling on about teachers having it easy, it not being a real job etc. in a post on here. A post that's written at 10:30am on a Tuesday. They then usually move on to another, equally important task - like informing everyone what kind of cup they drink from or listing ten reasons why Owen Coyle and his band of merry men (the backroom staff, not the players) should be tarred and feathered and dumped at the Town limits*...

* That is quite important actually, I retract that bit.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

What kind of 'real job' did this traitor to the teaching race do before his early retirement? Put tops on toothpaste tubes? Quality control at a biscuit factory?

He was a software engineer with a with a well-known global company, earning very decent money

He'll be a great teacher, I'd wager

Flexible hours?

Overtime?

Fin, these aren't available to everyone in the private sector

Most folk I know work all hours just to get the job done

The kind of kind of generalisation you made is the same kind that you are moaning that folk make about teachers

As an educator i'd hope you'd know better

Flexible hours?

Overtime?

Fin, these aren't available to everyone in the private sector

Most folk I know work all hours just to get the job done

The kind of kind of generalisation you made is the same kind that you are moaning that folk make about teachers

As an educator i'd hope you'd know better

Fair point........but all my mates are in the private sector and I can only speak from experience......granted not many are giving overtime at present but they have a good deal of flexibility

• Site Supporter

I have been teaching since 98 and have no problem with those on here who think striking is out of order. To be fair, most teachers agree with you.....that's why most of them didn't ballot for action. And like any profession there are a minority who are lazy and out of touch with reality. Yes some have spent most of their lives in education but believe me this number is far less than it once was.

I know I'm lucky to be in work......but I also know that I work hard at the job that I do. I stay in work until 6pm or 7pm most evenings and usually have stuff to do when I get home. In all honesty, I had 2 weeks this summer away from work - the other 4 I spent in work. I appreciate getting a couple of weeks at Christmas but as for all the rest of the holidays (Easter, half term etc) I am in work - usually doing revision classes.

I would happily trade my 'holidays' for overtime, flexible working hours and holidays......maybe I'd have been able to go to Munich, Lisbon and Belgrade a few years ago like the rest of my mates did.......and before anyone says 'You knew what you were signing up for'......I did but I never expected us to be in Europe!! :give_rose:

The idea that all teachers are lazy really is a myth

Have a plus one for that.

This may come across as condescending, patronizing and narrow minded. But I suspect the only folk who will truly understand and agree with that post are either teachers or married to one