Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Crowds

davidjack

Seem to be well down at a lot of clubs already - 10k at Burnley yesterday, sub 14 at Boro, sub 15 at Birmingham. Can see us dipping below 15 too if we don't go on a run. Not surprising either in this economic climate and given most match day prices seem to be 25 to 30 quid (Leeds yesterday was 36 quid I think for Sheff Wed for a lunchtime TV game - and funnily enough there were 10 thousand fewer there than for their first game).

I think it's time those who run the game got real and recognised that most people haven't got that kind of money to piss away. We're basically reliant these days on good season ticket sales cos at those prices few floating fans are likely to be tempted along.

Best part of £50 for Everton at Norwich yesterday.

Surely a price capping must come in soon, £30 is as high as it should ever be.

Even at close to £50 the game wasn't far off a sell out

It's difficult to ever say what a maximum price should be, as with everything else it's supply and demand that dictates the prices

Have our match day prices come down at all since the Premier League? Not much, if at all, as far as I'm aware. If the product's inferior and people generally have less money it doesn't take an economics degree to work out what happens if you don't lower prices.

Big difference is that Norwich is the only club for a whole county and therefore has a bigger pool of people willing to pay silly prices. And they're in the Premier and that's still quite a novelty.

The novelty of this league will soon wear off for any of our floating fans.

Have our match day prices come down at all since the Premier League? Not much, if at all, as far as I'm aware. If the product's inferior and people generally have less money it doesn't take an economics degree to work out what happens if you don't lower prices.

nonsense, mate

we've held our prices for 8 seasons and some have decreased over that time

one of the things that the club have done well

I agree on season tickets (tho there was a small increase this summer which struck me as odd) - they've been held at same price for several years. And the kids tickets have made a real difference - the number of young lads now following us again is great to see. It's the on the day prices that just don't work. Why would anyone who's not a die-hard pay 25 to 30 quid to watch us at home to Bournemouth?

Why don't we do something radical instead - and let every season ticket holder have the chance to buy every unsold seat (so about 10 thousand) for a fiver, or even a quid for the less attractive games. They then bring along a mate, who might be tempted to come back, but who also buys a pint, a programme, whatever; the players get a boost from playing in front of 27 thousand instead of 17...everyone's a winner. Or we could just stumble on seeing all we've built up over the past decade fall away again...

• Moderators

We made tickets cheap as fuck for the Premier League. Understandably as our support is generally shit. Now they are being hit with the inferior product, should be cheaper stick. Implication being if we'd charged £50, people would be happy with the current cost. Slightly bizarre.

I'm not following your logic. They charged what they could get away with in the Prem - to a max of 39 quid for the top games in the upper tier. That's not 'cheap as fuck' to most Boltonians. We're not Chelsea or United with rich day trippers willing to pay 50 or 60 quid. The market could just about stand that when we were in the middle of a credit bubble and we had players like Youri and Jay Jay entertaining us. We now have David Wheater and Zat Knight and the party's over. The club can recognise that and do something about it, or they can see more and more empty seats appearing. It's that simple.

Why don't we do something radical instead - and let every season ticket holder have the chance to buy every unsold seat (so about 10 thousand) for a fiver, or even a quid for the less attractive games. They then bring along a mate, who might be tempted to come back, but who also buys a pint, a programme, whatever; the players get a boost from playing in front of 27 thousand instead of 17...everyone's a winner. Or we could just stumble on seeing all we've built up over the past decade fall away again...

As a season ticket holder who has probably paid around £350 to £400 would you not be a bit pissed off that a mate could watch very game for a maximum £115? I know I would.

Would we not be better offering a discount on the number of season tickets sold? So for example if 4 mates go together instead of £350 each, a total of £1400 you can buy together for £1000.

I wouldn't be pissed off at all - as I'd much rather see a full Reebok every week than a half empty one...and without this kind of deal that's not going to happen right now. Your idea might be an even better way of doing it though. As I said, the club have done well with kids tickets, but it's time to do something eye-catching to get the missing fans back.

Clubs are every bit detached from reality as the mercenaries players on the park.

Burnley upped their prices on last season for a game which was on TV this season.

Blackburn have cranked their prices up 150%  for our visit in a couple of weeks.

Given that the season started so early, and we are only half way through the summer school holiday period, hiking prices is a big no no

• Moderators

Seem to be well down at a lot of clubs already - 10k at Burnley yesterday, sub 14 at Boro, sub 15 at Birmingham. Can see us dipping below 15 too if we don't go on a run. Not surprising either in this economic climate and given most match day prices seem to be 25 to 30 quid (Leeds yesterday was 36 quid I think for Sheff Wed for a lunchtime TV game - and funnily enough there were 10 thousand fewer there than for their first game).

I think it's time those who run the game got real and recognised that most people haven't got that kind of money to piss away. We're basically reliant these days on good season ticket sales cos at those prices few floating fans are likely to be tempted along.

maybe we should have taken the quickquid cash...

• Moderators

I'm not following your logic. They charged what they could get away with in the Prem

It's pretty simple logic, maybe have a think...

The quoted bit isn't true, the large amount of cheap ticket offers were not aimed at charging what they could get away with. You make it sound like sharp practice. Prob best you never work in real business.

I think the club have got the pricing pretty much spot on. The away following at blackburn over the past couple of season have shown that reduced prices gets more bums on seats, so to speak. As the club get less than 50% of the wage bill through the gate, it dilutes arguments for price reductions.

Of course they did. They're a business. I was disputing your assertion that they kept prices 'cheap as fuck'. Compared to what? The top clubs with fan bases nothing like ours? And now we're not at the top table anymore there surely needs to be some readjustment. In the same way as when you buy a Skoda you expect it to cost less than a Mercedes.

I'm not seeing how your business model will get the crowds in, is all. And without reopening old wounds, the QQ saga was hardly an example of how to get the fans behind the club, as I remember it.

It'll be interesting to see how many stoke take to away games this season. With free travel.

Especially as they have Hughes in charge and are shite. Took 3k to Liverpool yesterday. Wait to see how many they take to Southampton and fulham

If the club ever implemented a deal where you could bring a friend along for a fuver as a season ticket holder for every home game then I would basically give up my season ticket and and pay a fiver for every home game on a friends season ticket meaning the club would b getting almost 300 quid less out of me. Is it greedy of me being happy that its nowhere near a sellout as its easier to travel to the match and less hastle inside the ground for refreshments and bogs? Thats where I'm at, selfish or not.

To make it work the season ticket holder should get something back - say for every extra seat you buy over the season a certain amount off your next season ticket. So there's an incentive for people to buy these cheap tickets. It might mean less money coming into the club in the short term but not over the longer term if we really could fill the place. And do we want a bigger fan base or not, if we're ever going to compete again?

It can be done. Look at Southampton - they had a ground with a 15k capacity not many years ago and have never really had big crowds over the years and yet now they're pulling in 31k every week.

To make it work the season ticket holder should get something back - say for every extra seat you buy over the season a certain amount off your next season ticket. So there's an incentive for people to buy these cheap tickets. It might mean less money coming into the club in the short term but not over the longer term if we really could fill the place. And do we want a bigger fan base or not, if we're ever going to compete again?

It can be done. Look at Southampton - they had a ground with a 15k capacity not many years ago and have never really had big crowds over the years and yet now they're pulling in 31k every week.

we aren't ever going to compete

Southampton don't have Man U,Man C and Liverpool within 45 mins

I hear your passion, but it's gone

football is eating itself