Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gartside Out!

worthy10

Maybe you fell asleep and missed the bit were you implied that Forest had progressed because they'd spent more than us.

They have since the new owners moved in. Over that period, we've been cost cutting. Sure you can find the figures easily enough.

They have since the new owners moved in. Over that period, we've been cost cutting. Sure you can find the figures easily enough.

I'm not disputing that. I'm pointing out that Blackpool have spent fuck all, so progressing isn't just about spending money is it?

I'm not disputing that. I'm pointing out that Blackpool have spent fuck all, so progressing isn't just about spending money is it?

Doesn't matter. Look at the table in May. Lots of examples of teams topping leagues and going down. I don't get the Blackpool thing. I wouldn't swap Blackpool's team for ours and I would despair if we had their manager.

(Insert comedy gif of Ince)

I have to admit I have come around to the idea that Phil Gartside's time with should maybe draw to a close fairly soon.

He was responsible for a fantastic managerial appointment in Sam Allardyce and I still believe in Freedman. All else between has proved pretty poor. Plus, most people in his role have a natural shelf life and we probably need some fresh direction with Eddie D still at the helm overall.

Some of our dismal recent signings - including people who just haven't fitted in at the club or who have been paid wages far higher than their talent warrants - leads me to believe our recruitment policy needs a big overhaul (albeit Freedman has so far been reasonable in this department). I am still to be 100 per cent convinced by the move some clubs (notably Spurs/WBA) have made toward Director of Football posts overseeing recruitment. However I am guessing had we had such expertise in place over the past few years we may still be in the Prem. I emphasise "may"....

Just a few random thoughts that haven't taken on the form of absolutely entrenched views as yet......

I agree to the possibilities Of a director of football PH. But where there is a Dan Ashworth/Baldini there is a jez moxey/joe Kinnear. I wonder what direction we would turn to after PG's reign as I'm not sure there is a natural successor.

Lenny Lawrence would make a good Director of Football...

would he? A genuine question or does he like being on the training ground, tactics etc. I imagine them that have been managers don't become directors of football as a rule.

I don't think he has much input on the training round or with tactics, etc. I think he's more of an advisor than a hands-on coach. I think he'd be ideal Director of Football for a club like ours. He's got the experience and the contacts for a club on a budget and he's already done the job at Bristol Rovers.

I don't want to jump in with the bed sheet brigade but I also don't think Gartside should get a free pass. I've heard it said that he was chairman during our most successful period so he must be done something right. Well he got lucky with BSA, wasn't his first choice and without that one appointment we would have been nothing more than a one season wonder in the Premier League. He is/was nothing without Big Sam.Everything else he has got spectacularly wrong, managerial appointments, woeful financial performance,sticking with Coyle,fax in his pocket, no relegation ballooning etc etc and now taunting the richest club in the world over £400,000 he ripped them off for. Like that isn't going to bite us in the ass at sometime.

Not so long ago he and Duckworth were taking almost half a million pounds a year out of the club in wages. That might be par for the course for as big an organisation as BWFC, but the fans are entitled to ask if he is really worth that much.

I don't want to jump in with the bed sheet brigade but I also don't think Gartside should get a free pass. I've heard it said that he was chairman during our most successful period so he must be done something right. Well he got lucky with BSA, wasn't his first choice and without that one appointment we would have been nothing more than a one season wonder in the Premier League. He is/was nothing without Big Sam.Everything else he has got spectacularly wrong, managerial appointments, woeful financial performance,sticking with Coyle,fax in his pocket, no relegation ballooning etc etc and now taunting the richest club in the world over £400,000 he ripped them off for. Like that isn't going to bite us in the ass at sometime.

Not so long ago he and Duckworth were taking almost half a million pounds a year out of the club in wages. That might be par for the course for as big an organisation as BWFC, but the fans are entitled to ask if he is really worth that much.

I hear a lot of what you're saying while at the same time acknowledging he has done a lot of hard work for Bolton.

Just think the time for a change is getting close. It is now getting on for 15 years since Gordon Hargreaves jacked it in and handed over the reins to Gartside.