Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Worst World Cup Pundit/commentator/presenter

HomerJay

Whilst in Egypt watching the England games, I had to endure David "sneering" Pleat as the co  commentator on beIN, the arabic Al Jazerra  Sky equivalent. He fucking grates. Keys and Gray were wank too as was the clueless Moyes.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for Carlisle, he spends half an hour explaining why a corners been given.

At half time during the Holland-Mexico game he claimed it was impossible to play in that heat, well obviously it is possible you nob!

• Moderators

We have good old John Helm over here, one of the few decent Yorkshiremen

Had to watch a Canadian stream of the games last night and thought he was alright till he called the box the "penalty zone"

Smuggest of the smug is that Baggie bastard Chiles. He spends more time commenting on people in the crowd than watching the match.

Surely you mean, Adrian er..., Adrian er..., Adrian er..., Chiles.

Tyldsley & Townsend are beyond awful.....a commentator who doesn't commentate but pushes his clueless opinions as fact & an "expert" who only reacts to the previous 2 seconds' action but adds no insight at all.

Pearce is a twat who constantly claims to spot off the ball /pitch controversies that simply haven't happened.

On the plus side....Lee Dixon & Danny Murphy, & I thought Phil Neville spoke sensibly but has a dull monotone delivery.

Lawrenson gets on my tits as Ive moaned about on a few other threads - but very few of the other pundits and commentators have been any good either in my opinion.

Juninho and Cannovaro - good job they talk shit, because its too hard to tell what theyre saying anyway. Keown's a shambles too.

Chiles is just absolutely stealing a living for me - consistently awful for season after season now in that role on ITV he has.

As for good pundits, I could listen to Tim Vickery all day long. Shame his focus is only South American football, itd be great for him to have a bigger BBC role during the season

As for good pundits, I could listen to Tim Vickery all day long. Shame his focus is only South American football, itd be great for him to have a bigger BBC role during the season

He has a weekly spot on Talk Sport in the afternoons. He does like the odd off-colour comment though. The dump button is often in evidence. I think he'd be deemed too risky by the BBC.

Going against the grain here, but I don't mind Chiles at all.

To me, he comes across as someone 'normal'.  He doesn't profess to know everything about the game and doesn't try to make out that he does.  Not sure why some folk think he's 'smug' either.  Now if there is a smug presenter, then it's matt Smith with his constant ... and uneccessary ... pauses.

As for the co-commentators, I can honestly say I think they're ALL dreadful.  Lawrenson wins/loses for me though.  He's probably the most 'experienced' of them all, but all he seems to do is sit there and come out with sarcastic remarks every now and again.  The others are guilty of trying to hard to make things sound sensational.  Was it Kilbane last night who was commentating on the France game?  In one breath said all Pogba had to do was head the ball into an empty net, and with the next breath said it was a fantastic finish.

I read on a comments section, Guardian I think, the following:

Robbie Savage - the village idiot

Phil Neville - the nutter on the bus

Thought that was a pretty good summary of those two:)

Mark Lawrenson would make a depressive contemplate the final act!

I don't mind Chiles.

He's not from a football background and doesn't claim to know everything.

He's not a big club loving media whore, just seems like an ordinary bloke winging it.

Fair play to him.

It's only his accent that makes him sound a bit thick.

Neville spoke a lot of sense in a boring voice. 

Murphy has been the revelation.

Tyldesley & Townsend are utter bellends.

Thierry Henry bored me shitless, in his slow boring drawl.

• Moderators

Chiles had a natural charisma going on when he was on the BBC, now he's paid miles more by itv it all seems forced and like he's trying to hard

Same thing happened to des lynam

I don't mind Chiles.

He's not from a football background and doesn't claim to know everything.

He's not a big club loving media whore, just seems like an ordinary bloke winging it.

Fair play to him.

It's only his accent that makes him sound a bit thick.

I don't mind him either

We are clearly in the minority

Chiles had a natural charisma going on when he was on the BBC, now he's paid miles more by itv it all seems forced and like he's trying to hard

Same thing happened to des lynam

I don't think having to pad til the ad breaks helps him as his forte on the beeb was to ask the questions as a layman and let the pundits explain it, on itv he has to cut them off to pay the bills.

As much as it pains me to say it the wobbly gobbed tosser that is Rio Ferdinand has offered some really insightful comments and explained truthfully from a players view point the goings on

on.

Edited by frank_spencer

I might be on my own here, but I think the majority of pundits/commentators/co-commentators are very good. I think the bashing of then has become a bit of a national sport over the past ten years or so. The only ones that get on my tits are Tyldesly, Pearce, Savage and Lawrenson. Which seeing as BBC and ITV have took about 997 pundits between then ain't many

Was speaking to someone the other day who said Savage was ace because he was controversial. Fuck sake, anyone could go on TV and act the cunt just to get attention, which is what I think Savage certainly does on the radio. I'm really not arsed about pundits being controversial or even entertaining. I just want them to talk sense and offer some insight into the game having played it. If you want some attention seeker playing up for the cameras then stick to Jeremy Kyle! I'd have Shearer and Hanson over Savage any day.

For the sake of explanation Tyldesley is melodramatic, Lawrenson tries to be sarcastic and funny (and fails), Pearce bums the big teams and Savage got Warhurst and Holdsworth sent off. Gigantic cunt.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.