Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Lincoln mate of mine has been to Marine vs Kendal Town today.  Says Emil Jaaskelainen started at Centre Forward for Kendal on loan from Blackpool.  Marine won 4-1 Jordan Lussey and George Newall turned out for Marine.  Thought Newall showed promise here but what do I know.

So did I!

• Members
Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye. Behind labour!

Anyway, interesting comments at the end of the game. Pundit saying they looked tired and aren't playing as well as last year.

Decisive month coming up for them I reckon.

Difference is they aren’t ‘playing well’ and winning. 
Can’t keep a clean sheet for toffee though. 
10 games in 30 days should be interesting.

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Difference is they aren’t ‘playing well’ and winning. 
Can’t keep a clean sheet for toffee though. 
10 games in 30 days should be interesting.

Aye, still winning.

Those games are bound to take some sort of toll. Get out unscathed and the league should be theirs.

On 29/11/2019 at 08:49, bolty58 said:

..and they are still adamant that no Liverpool fan had any part to play in this tragedy? Aye, reet.

If you still think that the fans did anything on that day that fans from any other club wouldn't have done, then I'd suggest reading the hillsborough independent panel report from 2007, see if it changes your mind.

To summarise, they spent 2 years examining 400,00 pieces of evidence from 85 organisations and found that actions from the fans, regardless of if some of them were pissed up and/or ticketless, played no part whatsoever in the causation of the tragedy.

There were multiple crushing injuries at the three previous semi finals to be hosted at Hillsborough, 1981, 87 and 88. 

In 81 is was spurs fans, 38 injured, broken arms and legs and other injuries from crushing, a few hundred spilled onto the pitch. Luckily in 81, the Leppings lane end was one big pen, not split up into 3 as in 89, so was easier to escape.

In 87, it was Leeds, crushing outside, so they delayed the kick off.

In 88 it was liverpool, they closed the central passageway this time so fans filtered into the side pens.

In 89, many fans travelling by coach arrived late because of roadworks on parts of the M62, and coaches were stopped by the police as they came off the motorway for ticket inspections before they were allowed into the city. 

It was a disaster waiting to happen, just needed the right circumstances. 

In my opinion it wasnt just Dukinfield, the FA, Sheff Weds and other police officials were equally negligent.

• Site Supporter
59 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

If you still think that the fans did anything on that day that fans from any other club wouldn't have done, then I'd suggest reading the hillsborough independent panel report from 2007, see if it changes your mind.

To summarise, they spent 2 years examining 400,00 pieces of evidence from 85 organisations and found that actions from the fans, regardless of if some of them were pissed up and/or ticketless, played no part whatsoever in the causation of the tragedy.

There were multiple crushing injuries at the three previous semi finals to be hosted at Hillsborough, 1981, 87 and 88. 

In 81 is was spurs fans, 38 injured, broken arms and legs and other injuries from crushing, a few hundred spilled onto the pitch. Luckily in 81, the Leppings lane end was one big pen, not split up into 3 as in 89, so was easier to escape.

In 88 it was liverpool, they closed the central passageway this time so fans filtered into the side pens.

In 89, many fans travelling by coach arrived late because of roadworks on parts of the M62, and coaches were stopped by the police as they came off the motorway for ticket inspections before they were allowed into the city. 

In my opinion it wasnt just Dukinfield, the FA, Sheff Weds and other police officials were equally negligent.

Certainly the outside part where the Leeds fans were caught leaves a great deal to be desired. The recent game (Wilbrahim equaliser) was bloody pathetic. Holding us in that area between river and stadium while the dicks from Sheffield lob bottles at us with impunity was one of the worst situations I've been in at a football match.

17 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Certainly the outside part where the Leeds fans were caught leaves a great deal to be desired. The recent game (Wilbrahim equaliser) was bloody pathetic. Holding us in that area between river and stadium while the dicks from Sheffield lob bottles at us with impunity was one of the worst situations I've been in at a football match.

Last time I went was 2016. It's very old fashioned and not much room before you're onto the road. In the 80s they were trying to get 10,000 just in the lower tier section of that end!!!

Edited by peelyfeet

On 29/11/2019 at 09:35, gonzo said:

Aye, are those who gathered at the gates and pushed in from the back worthy of being criminally convicted?

Or the person who ordered the fences to built? 

Or the average football fan across England who’s behaviour caused those fences to be built?

It was all one big disaster waiting to happen and everybody was culpable in some way. Duckenfield fucked it big time, but he wasn’t trained properly and shouldn’t have been in that postion, the blame carries on....

What happened after, the lies and the coverup are a totally different story. The families deserve justice for that.

Quite right, it was a perfect storm, sadly those innocents at the front of the stand paid with their life’s. 

1 hour ago, peelyfeet said:

Last time I went was 2016. It's very old fashioned and not much room before you're onto the road. In the 80s they were trying to get 10,000 just in the lower tier section of that end!!!

What has struck me every time I’ve been there is how little has changed from the archive footage of the turnstiles etc. Even the central tunnel for the lower tier is still there! 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

Let's accept Liverpool fans did what every other set of fans would've done

And I'm happy to accept that

That doesn't mean they are innocent in this tragedy

Nobody wanted to kill 93 people

Folk fucked up

Folk died

Its tragic

Learn lessons

Move on

2 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

The chairman of the "Hillsborough Independent Panel" was, I shit you not, The Bishop of Liverpool.

Independent, unbiased?

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

Re the first sentence; I think you're right, plenty of other clubs' fans would do the same. Just like some of ours that climbed over fences contributing to the Burnden disaster.

I think that's the issue, for all the mitigating factors you list, which are perfectly correct and contributory, folk still make a subconscious decision to 'pile in' in areas of restricted size.

We've probably all been in places where it got a bit hairy: boxing day outside Bloomfield road one such example.

We all saw the pressure building outside, and the mounted police trying to get people to ease back. From then on, well a recipe for a disaster as you illustrate.