Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

16 minutes ago, lobbypond said:

Honking hints of a Arsenal bottle job is gathering legs by the week. Probably won't even finish in the top 4 knowing them 🤣

Id have United more of a threat to city than Arsenal.

They need Jesus back pronto.

23 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Marcos Alonso playing at centre half for Barca vs the red filth.

Defending was never his strong point

If we ever do a thread for "ex-players playing at a surprisingly high level", obviously Madine would be up there, but Alonso at Barca and Tim Ream CB for a team in the top 8 of the Prem is even more surprising.  If I was offered Ream for Wycombe away tomorrow I'd rather stick with Santos (might slot him in at LWB though). 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

If we ever do a thread for "ex-players playing at a surprisingly high level", obviously Madine would be up there, but Alonso at Barca and Tim Ream CB for a team in the top 8 of the Prem is even more surprising.  If I was offered Ream for Wycombe away tomorrow I'd rather stick with Santos (might slot him in at LWB though). 

Well, I believe he's in Nando's right now. Pop & ask him.

37 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That's ridiculous. What a load of bollocks. 

Also admitted to throwing four coins onto the pitch 

Now I'm guessing he wasn't being charitable and they were aimed at someone 

Hope his community order is cleaning out Arsenal toilets and picking up litter around the ground 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Also admitted to throwing four coins onto the pitch 

Now I'm guessing he wasn't being charitable and they were aimed at someone 

Hope his community order is cleaning out Arsenal toilets and picking up litter around the ground 

Yes, good idea.

Perhaps wearing a bad lads' army/Tottenham half and half shirt.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Alonso already done well for himself at Chelsea with a PL title, and technically was a CL and EL winner too though didn't get off the bench in the final

Looks like he might win another title this season as well 

I wouldn't have Alonso in the surprised camp. Hes been absolutely mustard and top level elite for the bulk of his career. 

He was way too young and naive for the hustle and bustle of the prem when he was with us. Bit like Pique was at United.

You could see his class with us, he just wasnt ready. 

Plus he was being managed by utter shite with a fanbase obsessed with big tackles and getting it in the mixer.

26 minutes ago, Zico said:

Alonso already done well for himself at Chelsea with a PL title, and technically was a CL and EL winner too though didn't get off the bench in the final

Looks like he might win another title this season as well 

21 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I wouldn't have Alonso in the surprised camp. Hes been absolutely mustard and top level elite for the bulk of his career. 

He was way too young and naive for the hustle and bustle of the prem when he was with us. Bit like Pique was at United.

You could see his class with us, he just wasnt ready. 

Plus he was being managed by utter shite with a fanbase obsessed with big tackles and getting it in the mixer.

All valid points, and yes he's a class act, always was.  But at the top level I'd have thought his defending was iffy, he was never blessed with pace and got skinned a few times playing for us, even in his championship season.  Definitely Premier League quality in possession (and decent in the air too), just never saw him being that elite player that would win titles and play in the champions league, and I don't remember many Bolton fans saying he'd go all the way to the top, especially when he was being kept out of the team by Robinson or Sam Ricketts.

6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

All valid points, and yes he's a class act, always was.  But at the top level I'd have thought his defending was iffy, he was never blessed with pace and got skinned a few times playing for us, even in his championship season.  Definitely Premier League quality in possession (and decent in the air too), just never saw him being that elite player that would win titles and play in the champions league, and I don't remember many Bolton fans saying he'd go all the way to the top, especially when he was being kept out of the team by Robinson or Sam Ricketts.

Deffo not. I thought he was a big fanny and wanted Robbo playing :D

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Tbf he was a wing back at Chelsea which suits him, mostly a sub at Barcelona I think 

But aye, when he was playing for us in the championship I didn't expect him to go all the way

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, green genie said:

Lee Mason sacked / walked over Arsenal Brentford offside mistake.. The US owned ‘istree clubs really have corrupted the game.

I’m sure someone will point out his mistake actually benefits two local teams. If they haven’t, they should!

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Damienduffgate is my memory of alonso

Had a fantastic career, though