Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Norwich 1 Bolton 0

captainmed

I agree with Lennon that we don't have enough physique in central midfield. Spearing and Medo can put their foot in but when up against bigger lads it doesn't always work - and they consistently lose out in the air. Lennon is clearly looking at Trotter as a solution but like many others I have yet to see anything much in him. I hope Lennon gets the best out of him.

Oh for the days of having the likes of Campo, Speed and Faye on our books all at the same time!

I was sat in the Norwich end with my mate who's a Season Ticket holder. As soon as the teams came out his first comment was "You're a team of midgets" - we really could do with a bit of a physical presence in the centre of the park

I quite like Mills. No nonsense defender will stick his head in anywhere.

Having said that, his judgement for the first goal was shocking. He shouldn't of tried to challenge for the header as he was never going to win it. He should have stood off him, leaving him self better positioned for the ongoing attack.

Worse case is he should have pulled Jerome down. He'd of got a yellow card and conceded a free kick 45 yards from goal but that would have been a lot better than a striker having a one on one. His distribution is crap too, he needs to fuck off the Hollywood balls and concentrate on defending, then let the midfield worry about play making. A long thump towards Beckford to challenge in the air for is useless.

I think Wheater is our best defender, and the sooner he's back the better.

Beckford can get to fuck.

I quite like Mills. No nonsense defender will stick his head in anywhere.

Having said that, his judgement for the first goal was shocking. He shouldn't of tried to challenge for the header as he was never going to win it. He should have stood off him, leaving him self better positioned for the ongoing attack.

Worse case is he should have pulled Jerome down. He'd of got a yellow card and conceded a free kick 45 yards from goal but that would have been a lot better than a striker having a one on one. His distribution is crap too, he needs to fuck off the Hollywood balls and concentrate on defending, then let the midfield worry about play making. A long thump towards Beckford to challenge in the air for is useless.

I think Wheater is our best defender, and the sooner he's back the better.

Beckford can get to fuck.

A fit Wheater is light years ahead of anything else we have in central defence. I'd like to see Wheater and Dervite together. Having said that, if McNaughton is out for any length of time Dervite might have to go to right back.

A fit Wheater is light years ahead of anything else we have in central defence. I'd like to see Wheater and Dervite together. Having said that, if McNaughton is out for any length of time Dervite might have to go to right back.

The three centre backs we have just lack pace we could do with 1 more that adds that attribute.

I was sat in the Norwich end with my mate who's a Season Ticket holder. As soon as the teams came out his first comment was "You're a team of midgets" - we really could do with a bit of a physical presence in the centre of the park

Was my overriding view on the game, we just look physically weak compared with other sides in this Division. Only one of our strikers has any sort of physical presence, most of our midfielders are lightweight or fragile and our defenders get too easily bullied by opposing forwards who press and harass them. 

NL's clearly picked up on it, as I'm sure he's well aware of all the other failings that need sorting. Till he gets chance to change a few personnel in Jan though, he's stuck with trying to coax improvement out of what he's got, hence Trotter last night. 

We had more of the possession last night but did nothing with it, gave two poor goals away again but at least we didn't capitulate as we might have done under DF. That was a little positive to cling to but otherwise we got what we deserved and looked like what we currently are, a bottom three side who have that bad mix of being crap up front and crap at the back (Lonergan excepted, made some good saves). Going to be slow and limited progress till Jan but hopefully NL will get a bit of scope to do what he says he needs to then      

dead wood on 5k a week or dead wood on 20k a week

take your pick

when lennon outs them as not doing their best, ill buy into deadwood

until then, theyre just jobbing footballers doing their best

Dead wood/bad signings are exactly that, a cash figure doesn't make them more or less so, and is irrelevant. Nor, ahem can they be accused of doing their best. Let's have consistency between past regimes please

There were lots of positives from last night, like the way Lenny had us set up. There was far less hoofarama, and with a couple of exceptions, the players looked like they were bothered. Deficiencies/shit players are just that. Imagine Lennys system in play with the players we had circa 2003-07. Beautiful. Stay strong, it will come.

I expect Trotter to give us that when he's fully fit

freedman wouldve been bollocked for not putting mason on

We'd have had a different team every game with Freedman in charge. Lennon is giving players a chance to prove themselves. It's well known he was a fan of Mills and Beckford before he arrived. Perhaps he didn't realize just how much their form has suffered.

dead wood on 5k a week or dead wood on 20k a week

I'd like to have seen what sort of performances Lennon could have got out of Andrews, Baptiste, Eagles, N'Gog... I think he's got his work cut out with some of the dross he's inherited from Dougie.

I'd like to have seen what sort of performances Lennon could have got out of Andrews, Baptiste, Eagles, N'Gog... I think he's got his work cut out with some of the dross he's inherited from Dougie.

Those players wouldn't be any better than what we have. Just cost a lot more in wages. We've bought badly since Megson left, some of his buys were poor too. But Coyle and Freedman both struggled to bring in quality or even solid players.

Those players wouldn't be any better than what we have. Just cost a lot more in wages. We've bought badly since Megson left, some of his buys were poor too. But Coyle and Freedman both struggled to bring in quality or even solid players.

Baptiste on his right side is better than anything we have at the club.

Andrews is above 5ft could easily do a job next to spearing IMO.

I expect Trotter to give us that when he's fully fit

I hope he was unfit last night, and I'd guess that's the case considering he's just back from injury.

I'm not against trotter at all but last night he looked so immobile it was embarrassing, he wasn't just 1 yard off the pace he was 5 yards behind what was happening.

Like I say I hope it's just match fitness because I do think he can add a lot to the team but last night was painful.

Disappointing - mills dropped a clanger and he knows it wheats comes in for Dervite for me mills could well be skipper Tuesday - statement of intent from Lenny giving spearing the hook at half time - fine by me spearing as capt has been an issue all along for me happy to give medo and trotts a go and beckford is fucking shite

Spearings been one of the best players on the pitch for the last 3 games.

He's proven how good he can be in this league and gives us this 'grit' that everybody desires.

Not one of our other options in centre mid is even close to Spearing when he's playing close to his best.

Why there seems to be this sudden consensus that he needs to be dropped is beyond me. I really hope the reason he went off was a knock and he's back in the team for Tuesday.

Spearings been one of the best players on the pitch for the last 3 games.

He's proven how good he can be in this league and gives us this 'grit' that everybody desires.

Not one of our other options in centre mid is even close to Spearing when he's playing close to his best.

Why there seems to be this sudden consensus that he needs to be dropped is beyond me. I really hope the reason he went off was a knock and he's back in the team for Tuesday.

Aye it's very surreal for your captain to get hooked in what was a close game, unless he was injured or picked up a knock

NL said spearing being subbed was tactical. Trotter did nothing of note when he came on , not a great decision imo.

Maybe it was Lennons way of saying to the team, who where all poor apart from Lee, that no-one is untouchable.

Edited by hughmungus