Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Who Should You Vote For?

stevieb

Unless your disabled etc long term benefits for unemployed who have been claiming for 12 mo They+ should consist of a roof over your head (chosen by the housing association) rent paid direct, utility bills paid direct, and a food parcel each week. You should have to work for the state too to get it

THIS WITH BELLS ON

Oh I don't need telling on this subject, trust me. alternatively, don't take on any DSS.

That's one way to do it, appears you are speaking from experience.

DSS folk and homes of multiple occupancy made my life a misery when I was still at my mums. Bought my own house which I couldn't really afford and was skint for years. 

Fifteen years on I'm still very bitter and for clarity, I blame the system and not the landlords themselves.

I'd wager the private landlords on here aren't HMO millionnaire slumlords charging £100 per week (plus whatever 'top-up' they deem appropriate for utilities) for what amounts to a poky bedroom with a bog and handwash sink boxed in a corner, so I don't understand why they take umbrage - they're not the target. This isn't a lily-livered plea for the tenant either, it's mindful of the ones shelling out to make the rentiers of these misery-holes millionaires - the public at large.

I'd wager the private landlords on here aren't HMO millionnaire slumlords charging £100 per week (plus whatever 'top-up' they deem appropriate for utilities) for what amounts to a poky bedroom with a bog and handwash sink boxed in a corner, so I don't understand why they take umbrage - they're not the target. This isn't a lily-livered plea for the tenant either, it's mindful of the ones shelling out to make the rentiers of these misery-holes millionaires - the public at large.

Amen brother.

I'm a private landlord and like many other landlords we have a great relationship with our tenants. We ensure we keep our properties in tip top condition and in return we have no issues with them paying their rent on time, it's a two way relationship. We tend not to take on Housing Benefit tenants but we do believe on giving the younger renters a chance and as a result over half our properties have twenty something year olds renting from us and great tenants they are too.

I'm a private landlord and like many other landlords we have a great relationship with our tenants. We ensure we keep our properties in tip top condition and in return we have no issues with them paying their rent on time, it's a two way relationship. We tend not to take on Housing Benefit tenants but we do believe on giving the younger renters a chance and as a result over half our properties have twenty something year olds renting from us and great tenants they are too.

Same here. We've got a mix of young working couples and older single people in ours and luckily have a good lot in at the moment. It's infuriating when you're a good landlord like yourself and I'd like to think we are too, keeping the house in good nick but then struggling to get someone out who's taking the piss. I believe we are in the majority too.

The risk-return trade off in action.

There is risk you are correct.

However a private landlord doesn't just choose a house for free and then rent it out at the cost of the taxpayer thus pocketing the money. He has to buy it, maintained, insure it, and then hope the tenant doesn't spend the housing benefit given to them to pay for their home on ale and fags.

When you weigh up it can take about 6 months to evict the cunt the losses over that period take on average 2.5 years to recoup.

This turns private landlords into those who won't take on tenants on welfare or into slum landlords who take them on at their own game.

Either way it's not good for the vulnerable at the bottom of the housing ladder, makes it even harder for them to get accommodation and puts even more pressure on social housing.

Same here. We've got a mix of young working couples and older single people in ours and luckily have a good lot in at the moment. It's infuriating when you're a good landlord like yourself and I'd like to think we are too, keeping the house in good nick but then struggling to get someone out who's taking the piss. I believe we are in the majority too.

We've been lucky so far and not had any idiots but no doubt we will.

There are plenty of tales of folk who have paid in all their lives then fallen on hard times through redundancy, sickness, relationship breakdown and find that the safety net is being taken away. The workshy are clearly an attractive target for these people to turn their attention to.

And so they should be.

When any able bodied man or woman (there are a few genuine exceptions) who wakes in the morning they have choices. The choices are theirs and theirs alone.

Get up and work, get up and look for work, or stay in bed.

Those who have grafted and fallen on hard times deserve to be looked after...they've paid in and they fully deserve support. Not a problem with that...they shouldn't be in food banks, terrified of the postman coming, or sending the kids to school with holes in their shoes.

But those who day after day, year after year, who choose to stay in bed can fucking starve for me.

There is risk you are correct.

However a private landlord doesn't just choose a house for free and then rent it out at the cost of the taxpayer thus pocketing the money. He has to buy it, maintained, insure it, and then hope the tenant doesn't spend the housing benefit given to them to pay for their home on ale and fags.

When you weigh up it can take about 6 months to evict the cunt the losses over that period take on average 2.5 years to recoup.

This turns private landlords into those who won't take on tenants on welfare or into slum landlords who take them on at their own game.

Either way it's not good for the vulnerable at the bottom of the housing ladder, makes it even harder for them to get accommodation and puts even more pressure on social housing.

Can't disagree with most of that. Though not sure about the highlighted bit, they aren't forced to be landlords - plenty of other opportunities for investment. 

And so they should be.

When any able bodied man or woman (there are a few genuine exceptions) who wakes in the morning they have choices. The choices are theirs and theirs alone.

Get up and work, get up and look for work, or stay in bed.

Those who have grafted and fallen on hard times deserve to be looked after...they've paid in and they fully deserve support. Not a problem with that...they shouldn't be in food banks, terrified of the postman coming, or sending the kids to school with holes in their shoes.

But those who day after day, year after year, who choose to stay in bed can fucking starve for me.

Cant disagree with any of that.

My issue is how those that cant be arsed are used as justification to beat those that do fall on hard times with a fcuking big stick.

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

Just a bit of balance to some of the extreme views on the jobless.

In 2005 the unemployment number was 1.4m or so, it was 2.6m in 2011. Jumped a million in a year post credit crunch.

I'd say the hardcore long term unemployed are a problem, but those numbers do kind of lay waste to the idea that nearly every out of work person is simply idle. Many are simply at the mercy of the economy, we all are to some degree but the unskilled particularly are only ever an interest rate move or a corporate relocation away from a fair period out of work again.

Just a bit of balance to some of the extreme views on the jobless.

In 2005 the unemployment number was 1.4m or so, it was 2.6m in 2011. Jumped a million in a year post credit crunch.

I'd say the hardcore long term unemployed are a problem, but those numbers do kind of lay waste to the idea that nearly every out of work person is simply idle. Many are simply at the mercy of the economy, we all are to some degree but the unskilled particularly are only ever an interest rate move or a corporate relocation away from a fair period out of work again.

Don't see anyone saying anything different mate...its the long term career bums people seem to mean.