Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Who Should You Vote For?

stevieb

I'd suggest a rise in crime and violence would be the most obvious outcome?

Oh good, blackmail. Crime and violence is why we've got prisons. How about I go to Downing Street and tell them I'm going to put their windows through unless they cut my council tax?  I'd not be allowed home for my pyjamas. 

These people that won't work aren't going to just stop eating etc

​Then they will have to either work or take responsibility for their decision not to. No-one should be paid to be idle.

Fwiw I do agree people should take control of their lives and the majority do but that element of entitlement will never go away in the minority without work on changing mindsets and opportunities. 

Just getting a job like everybody else is expected to would do. No-one is calling for an end to hand ups. Just for an end to allowing people to exist contributing to nothing except Jeremy Kyle viewing figures, crime statistics and the marijuana industry.

I'd suggest a rise in crime and violence would be the most obvious outcome?

These people that won't work aren't going to just stop eating etc.

I'm not sure why. Just because they're lazy fuckers if the next step is crime rather than get a job why should we be paying taxes to even keep them alive.

It isn't as clear cut as is being made out. It is highly unlikely we will ever have 100% employment. There will by definition be a number of people out of work at all times.

Market and natural selection means that those more inclined and more able will likely find jobs. Those with lesser abilities or inclination will struggle more especially when the economic climate is against them. The trite statements that there is a job for everyone who wants one are somewhat misplaced, there may well be a job for everyone, but whether the right job and in the right place is a different matter. There are far fewer unskilled jobs and this tends to be where the balance of market and natural selection lies.

We have generations with low aspirations and consequently low levels of education and very low demand in the job market. Wrapped up in that is a reliance on benefits and ultimately a lack of motivation and effort. You can't and won't solve the problem by just saying tough shit, you will just condemn future generations to the same malaise. However, I agree we cannot simply go on ignoring this problem and hoping it goes away. Nor can we continually bail out people who simply will continue to take without giving back.

It is a huge cultural and societal problem that is probably several decades away from being close to sorlvable. We aren't far away from creating a permanent and ever expanding American style underclass and that needs to be stopped by altering the general direction of travel immediately.

For sure

Iain Duncan Smith is having a good go at this problem and it be easier if the bed wetting classes would leave him alone to do it.

I think folk are living in an idealistic world if they believe certain folk (the percentage that can) will get up and get any job that's given to them. Right or wrong it isn't going to happen. A 100% employment industry will never work as great as it would be.

It isn't as clear cut as is being made out. It is highly unlikely we will ever have 100% employment. There will by definition be a number of people out of work at all times.

Market and natural selection means that those more inclined and more able will likely find jobs. Those with lesser abilities or inclination will struggle more especially when the economic climate is against them. The trite statements that there is a job for everyone who wants one are somewhat misplaced, there may well be a job for everyone, but whether the right job and in the right place is a different matter. There are far fewer unskilled jobs and this tends to be where the balance of market and natural selection lies.

We have generations with low aspirations and consequently low levels of education and very low demand in the job market. Wrapped up in that is a reliance on benefits and ultimately a lack of motivation and effort. You can't and won't solve the problem by just saying tough shit, you will just condemn future generations to the same malaise. However, I agree we cannot simply go on ignoring this problem and hoping it goes away. Nor can we continually bail out people who simply will continue to take without giving back.

It is a huge cultural and societal problem that is probably several decades away from being close to solvable. We aren't far away from creating a permanent and ever expanding American style underclass and that needs to be stopped by altering the general direction of travel immediately.

A million migrants managed to find work!!

I think folk are living in an idealistic world if they believe certain folk (the percentage that can) will get up and get any job that's given to them. Right or wrong it isn't going to happen. A 100% employment industry will never work as great as it would be.

Well I suppose if all the jobs on offer were opening bowler for England or Rolling Stones roadie people would be off their couches in no time. Or if all the jobs involved sitting doing cock all for £140k like lawyers and senior council officials. Why should anyone expect to leave welfare and walk straight into their perfect job? How many people ever get their perfect job, even if they have fifty years at it? It is totally reasonable to ask people who have never been in work or out of work for a long time to start at a basic level in a job which might not be especially to their liking. Especially if they have sucked deeply on the benefit tit in the meantime.

I was on the dole for three weeks when I was 22. I had just been awarded a Masters degree which I thought was a ticket to anything I wanted just so long as I turned up. Christ the shame makes me cringe even now. I didn't tell a soul I was so ashamed. I suppose I could have lived off the social had I wanted but instead I got a job in Swinton which involved walking a mile and a half from Westleigh at 5am every morn to get the second bus to leave Leigh for a 7.30am start for 140 quid a week, made a few big decisions over the following few months and let's just say things are a bit better a decade on. I even went to war twice! There is every single opportunity in Britain for people who want work.  On the other hand it is depraved to put people on welfare, leave them to rot for life and call it compassion. 

We had three million ish unemployed when three million Poles arrived and took three million jobs our lot considered either too difficult or not as lucrative as welfare. Short term fluctuations aside there is no reason why we could not have near 100% employment at all.  Employers always want to employ. In the right conditions they will. 

• Moderators

im much closer to maggie than tomski on this one, but do have sympathy for the kids that tomski cares about

id solve that problem by stopping the workshy breeding

its probably good that i dont lean as far to the right as i once did

But.. will it work?

or will they revert to the standard tactics of appealing their case to liberals, pleading discrimination, or simply abusing food banks and charities..

On a note.. Friend of mine has a 30k bursary for training as a Physics teacher, they have taken the money, and now decided that they don't want to do it.. (Gov wonders why half leave in five years with those incentives)

£30K over 3 years? Bursaries I know of are always paid drip feed. Do you mean they completed the degree and teacher training and then chose not to teach?

£30K over 3 years? Bursaries I know of are always paid drip feed. Do you mean they completed the degree and teacher training and then chose not to teach?

My lad's getting 12k in a bursary over three years for studying an undersubscribed degree.

He got 2k in January 2k knocked off his halls rent.

Next year, he'll get 4k in Jan.

• Site Supporter

nope.. that's a teaching degree..

PGCE = 1 year full time Maths and physics get up to 25k and then you can apply for more..

+ student loan....