Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Donald Dead Cat On Is Head Trump

little whitt

• Site Supporter

I have no doubt that these decisions either work, in which case you are a winner, or they don't, in which case you're a loser. Brown was a massive loser. And regarding Frank's point that he was just the signatory for the sale, yes, he was, and the buck stopped there. He'd have expected the plaudits had things gone well. He can't, therefore, not accept the criticism when things didn't go well.

• Site Supporter

My life wasn't in any way affected by Gordon Brown selling some gold.

Either was yours.

So, selling a few billion pounds worth of gold for half a dozen beans didn't affect you? Did his subsequent need to recoup that few million pounds not affect you either?

• Site Supporter

How did it affect you?

Borrowing has to be paid back with interest. Not keeping a bit of your income in reserve for tougher times is folly. With lower interest payments and unnecessary public spending, more would have been available for genuine needs like nhs etc.

Everyone gets affected in one way or another, even if we don't know about it.

Borrowing has to be paid back with interest. Not keeping a bit of your income in reserve for tougher times is folly. With lower interest payments and unnecessary public spending, more would have been available for genuine needs like nhs etc.

Everyone gets affected in one way or another, even if we don't know about it.

We don't know about it. So in the grand scheme of things it's largely irrelivent.

It's only important to make a point. Nobody in this country suffered because we sold some gold.

• Site Supporter

We don't know about it. So in the grand scheme of things it's largely irrelivent.

It's only important to make a point. Nobody in this country suffered because we sold some gold.

To be fair though, there was really no need to sell the gold or tell the market beforehand that we were going to do it.

• Site Supporter

To be fair though, there was really no need to sell the gold or tell the market beforehand that we were going to do it.

Backing up the economy with gold reserves is a bit daft and rather archaic. As proven after we sold half of ours, the price fluctuates massively, so it's probably not a bad thing to sell it off and invest in something a bit more stable. As you say, it was a mistake to inform the market beforehand, but I'm guessing that was probably unavoidable legally. The fact its value rocketed in the years afterwards makes it look more stupid than it actually was, but sort of proves the point that gold isn't the most reliable asset. As Gonzo says, nobody really gives a shit anyway apart from people wanting to score political points.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter

Nobody gives a shit because they think it doesn't affect them

But it does

If he'd sold it at it's peak, the difference would have covered 3 weeks worth of payments towards the public deficit. A vast amount of money, but not enough to affect any normal person in any way whatsoever. And the asset didn't just disappear when he sold it, as some would have you believe. It was invested in other assets which were considered more stable at the time. The global crash in 2008 made it all meaningless anyway.

Edited by Cheese

• Members

Do you reckon MT would have been a Brexiter or a Remainer?

I reckon she would have stoutly upheld the will of the people irrespective of her own views (which, by the way, I believe would have gravitated towards Leave after starting as Remain).

All conjecture of course.

I reckon she would have stoutly upheld the will of the people irrespective of her own views (which, by the way, I believe would have gravitated towards Leave after starting as Remain).

Were you in the UK in 1983? If so how did you vote in the General Election that year? Labour with their manifesto commitment to leave Europe or Conservative and Remain?

• Members

Were you in the UK in 1983? If so how did you vote in the General Election that year? Labour with their manifesto commitment to leave Europe or Conservative and Remain?

1) Yes I was. 2) Mind your own business.

Edited by bolty58

Thatcher would have been an absolute staunch remainer and wouldn't have even asked the question of the British people.

Without any doubt. 

• Site Supporter

When it came to the crunch of a referendum, which side was she on?

He'll come out with some shit like "that referendum was about the common market, not membership of a European super state", or some equally made up bollocks.