Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Black Sunday

jeep

Shame the players didn't have as much fight about them that day as the supporters did.

Can't believe it's 20 years ago.

Years of pent up anger was released that day they didn't know what hitthem. Well done boys n girls who made it an unpleasant day off the pitch for them. Edited by Mounts Kipper

I still think Stoke at Wembley was a worse day.

We had better players than Black Sunday. We had poorer opposition. And it was a big public stage.

At least Black Sunday was more or less a private affair, and we had pretty much lower-level players against a top team. Though some fight from our players would have been nice.

Edited by Rembrandt

• Site Supporter

Never experienced such a febrile and intimidating atmosphere at Burnden as that day.

You could almost reach out and grab a handful of hate from the air.

4,000 away fans. Didn't see a single replica shirt on the embankment.

They got the result on the pitch, but left in no doubt how we felt about them.

• Moderators

got asked to leave our student union for a bit when i booted a stool that then narrowly missed a girls face when the 5th one went in

was full of out of town munichs, when we scored I stood up and gave them all a big fuck you, few hand gestures, then sat back down to find it had been disallowed, felt and looked a right twat

I was living in Mcr at the time and the trains weren't running (maintenance) so it was a bus replacement service. My bus back was full of proper old school Munichs - many of them battered and covered in blood. When the bus turned down the slope to get onto St Peters Way some Bolton lads on the embankment bricked it and the window behind went through hitting one of the mouthy buggers sat there. I remember thinking how ironic it would be if that brick had hit me. But it didn't. It hit one them. So I smiled to myself and thought 'De Freitas might miss a sitter but that Bowton lad f*ckin didn't...'

Hate those bastards.

Edited by Burnden Pies

I was living in Mcr at the time and the trains weren't running (maintenance) so it was a bus replacement service. My bus back was full of proper old school Munichs - many of them battered and covered in blood. When the bus turned down the slope to get onto St Peters Way some Bolton lads on the embankment bricked it and the window behind went through hitting one of the mouthy buggers sat there. I remember thinking how ironic it would be if that brick had hit me. But it didn't. It hit one them. So I smiled to myself and thought 'De Freitas might miss a sitter but that Bowton lad f*ckin didn't...'

Hate those bastards.

That is kinda poetic considering their bricking bwfc's team bus after the 58 final.

I got a broken nose that day

In Leicester!

I still don't regret my actions

A lad two years above me at school got similar the day after too.

Lad called Nick Lovell. Wanker.

I got wrestled to the ground by Mr Aspeden my geography teacher and then sent home. Mum went ballistic.

My dad winked at me and said dont do it again son. :)

We'd met early doors and walked down Daubhill in boozers which opened early, back door job, numbers grew from pub to pub.

Went to the Havelock, and the sight of our mob was amazing.

Freezing February day, and hundreds of empty heads stood outside and you couldn't move inside...

Absolutely hundreds of Bolton lads out that day, every man and his mutt plus more were out.

No wonder those Mancs who drove past taking a look decided to tell their lot not to venture over as promised.

Spoke to many top lads from their lot since and they admitted they would have been annihilated if they ventured over.

Afterwards as many have said was pure mayhem, the Farnworth bit was quality, probably the only time I've seen the Red Army shitting itself.....

A minibus of Nottingham Reds were giving it the big one driving past on Manny Road, the bus was trashed when it got stuck in traffic near the Wagon and Horses.....priceless.

A lad two years above me at school got similar the day after too.

Lad called Nick Lovell. Wanker.

I got wrestled to the ground by Mr Aspeden my geography teacher and then sent home. Mum went ballistic.

My dad winked at me and said dont do it again son. :)

What made it all the sweeter was in the scuffle I managed to land a couple of punches. Now I'm built like a gypsy's dog but about a week later his missus recognises me saying that he had a job interview the next day but because of a black eye he missed out

Given all those factors I like to think we won the day

It was so poisonous that day I was standing outside Rice N Easy having my customary chip barm and BSE sausage when some pissed up Bolton fan frothing at the gob spouted "we've waited fucking ages for this you fat cunt" at me. Now I am indeed  a fat cunt, but the teal green away shirt should have given him a clue :)