Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oldham 1-0 Wanderers

radcliffe white

• Moderators

The game in the snow always brings back fond memories. As does setting off watching Bolton at Villa in the First Division at the end of the 70s. We got part way there and the radio said it was postponed due to snow. A quick scan of the newspaper led to us going to Oldham. No idea who they were playing but we were soon outed as Bolton fans. The Oldham fans singing Wanky Wanderers towards us and us singing Franky Worthington. I'd have been 15 or 16 at the time.

How do you get outed as a Bolton fan at a game not involving bolton? Unless you tell folk you are bolton?

• Site Supporter

How do you get outed as a Bolton fan at a game not involving bolton? Unless you tell folk you are bolton?

I suspect someone got talking to one of our group who gave them the story about our game being off at Villa. Maybe it wasn't the friendly chat they thought it might be.

Look at our team there. Probably a few rested aswell.

Fadiga is one of those Sam signings that I remember us having but I can't remember anything at all about what type of player he was. Other than the heart stuff obviously

• Site Supporter

Fadiga is one of those Sam signings that I remember us having but I can't remember anything at all about what type of player he was. Other than the heart stuff obviously

Another one who 'died' on the pitch. Spuds int' Cup

Had a mixed bag here myself. Saw us win 3-2 in the 80s with a last minute Wayne Foster winner. Was at the 4-4 league cup game a couple of years later which ended with a tasty battle on Oldham (mumps?)train station and the 0-0 100 goals season.

Saw us lose there when they had that fat former Bradford striker Mccarthy up front for them. Think he scored twice

Had a mixed bag here myself. Saw us win 3-2 in the 80s with a last minute Wayne Foster winner. Was at the 4-4 league cup game a couple of years later which ended with a tasty battle on Oldham (mumps?)train station and the 0-0 100 goals season.

Saw us lose there when they had that fat former Bradford striker Mccarthy up front for them. Think he scored twice

3-1 the season we went up in the play offs paatelainen scored for us I think

The game in the snow always brings back fond memories. As does setting off watching Bolton at Villa in the First Division at the end of the 70s. We got part way there and the radio said it was postponed due to snow. A quick scan of the newspaper led to us going to Oldham. No idea who they were playing but we were soon outed as Bolton fans. The Oldham fans singing Wanky Wanderers towards us and us singing Franky Worthington. I'd have been 15 or 16 at the time.

We got all the way too Villa Park that day and immediately had to turn round, pretty sure we got back to Burnden and watched Bolton v Man U reserves think we won 2-1 and it might have been boxing day. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper