Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Racist Fat C*nts

Youri McAnespie

I went watching Roy Chubby Brown on the pier at Blackpool some years ago. It was fucking dire and he was on for about an hour. And I'm not just saying dire because of the subject matter (I'll laugh at anything as long as it's funny) - I'm saying dire because none of his jokes were funny.

I spent 3 weeks as a 14 year old in Manchester Children's Hospital and listening to chubby brown on tape that a mate brought in got me through a bad time. To me at that time he was brilliant but time moves on and he just isn't relevant anymore.

Aye it's just old hat.

Folk think the PC brigade made it all not funny anymore, but in reality the shock factor just wore off.

There's only so many jokes about pakis and coons you can pull off.

Same with the observational stuff Peter Kay and Lee Evans nailed. That time has passed.

I spent 3 weeks as a 14 year old in Manchester Children's Hospital and listening to chubby brown on tape that a mate brought in got me through a bad time. To me at that time he was brilliant but time moves on and he just isn't relevant anymore.

That's entonox for you! ;-)

Edited by kent_white

Aye it's just old hat.

Folk think the PC brigade made it all not funny anymore, but in reality the shock factor just wore off.

There's only so many jokes about pakis and coons you can pull off.

Same with the observational stuff Peter Kay and Lee Evans nailed. That time has passed.

Whereas "shit in her cunt" is still funny. :D

The least surprising +1 in WW history.

Reet though.  Brown, Manning and all those 'club' comedians aren't my bag but they weren't racist.

Had they not let non-whites in the clubs they performed in they would have been - you could even argue their humour was inclusive and ahead of it's time ;) (note winky face here)

No more racist than laughing at the French or Scots or more discriminatory than bashing Christianity, which we all happily do . . .

I know that's not a popular or hip view but there you go.

Edited by madthatter

Reet though. Brown, Manning and all those 'club' comedians aren't my bag but they weren't racist.

Had they not let non-whites in the clubs they performed in they would have been - you could even argue their humour was inclusive and ahead of it's time ;) (note winky face here)

No more racist than laughing at the French or Scots or more discriminatory than bashing Christianity, which we all happily do . . .

I know that's not a popular or hip view but there you go.

Making fun of and stereotyping people because of their skin colour and ethnicity is racist whichever way you want to gloss it over or how funny you may find it.

We've all laughed at racist stuff. Let's not pretend it's harmless fun though.

Making fun of and stereotyping people because of their skin colour and ethnicity is racist whichever way you want to gloss it over or how funny you may find it.

It was, rightly or wrongly, more acceptable back then. Even TV shows like "Love Thy Neighbour" were very popular back in the day, if you watch an episode now, it's just not that funny. Different times, and we've generally moved on as a nation

The likes of Chubby Brown might have been mildly amusing back in the 90s when attitudes were different, but hes just shit now. I don't really know what his audience is these days, I certainly wouldn't pay good money to go and watch him, as I find him about as funny at toothache.

And the change is nothing to do with the "Loony Left" or the "PC Brigade" as some would have you believe....how anybody can say this isn't racist is beyond me 

Edited by Sweep

I'm not and you're missing my point or not reading what I wrote.

I'm saying using racial name calling, however distasteful, isn't necessarily racist, i don't think those above were, given the historical/time context as well, as others have pointed out . . . we've been here before!

I don't find it funny particularly myself but let's be clear about what it is.  That said, if done well, and with the right intention, poking fun at other races or cultures can be quite funny.  I offer Eddie Murphy's 'Mr White' as an example, Some Goodness Gracious Me sketches also.  

Now that kind of humour can be inclusive and, imo, break down racial barriers.   It just seems that when a white person does it it's totally unacceptable and racist . . .which it often isn't!

• Moderators

It was, rightly or wrongly, more acceptable back then. Even TV shows like "Love Thy Neighbour" were very popular back in the day, if you watch an episode now, it's just not that funny. Different times, and we've generally moved on as a nation

The likes of Chubby Brown might have been mildly amusing back in the 90s when attitudes were different, but hes just shit now. I don't really know what his audience is these days, I certainly wouldn't pay good money to go and watch him, as I find him about as funny at toothache.

And the change is nothing to do with the "Loony Left" or the "PC Brigade" as some would have you believe....how anybody can say this isn't racist is beyond me 

LTN was very much like TDUDPs Alf Garnett charcater

Taking the piss out of dinosaurs

LTN was very much like TDUDPs Alf Garnett charcater

Taking the piss out of dinosaurs

Only seen that clip to be fair but I'd say the joke is on him rather than the 'nig-nog'?

Same with Alf Garnett - you laughed at him, not with him?

Edited by madthatter

Those shows/acts were always racist, but society was less "aware" for want of a better word back then.

Old people are very racist, manly because they knew no better when growing up.

Doesn't make it, nor any less racist or acceptable.