Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

33 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

My daughter's insulin is only made in Denmark too. Surely there would have to be some arrangements made to safeguard lives in such situations

My point was that the things Brexiteers labelled as "project fear" is something our current Tory government seemingly believe to be the case. So, either they are deliberately lying and it is still  a case of project fear. Or perhaps there was something in the warnings after all.....

I know which I believe.....

38 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

My point was that the things Brexiteers labelled as "project fear" is something our current Tory government seemingly believe to be the case. So, either they are deliberately lying and it is still  a case of project fear. Or perhaps there was something in the warnings after all.....

I know which one I believe and it’s not the one you believe. 

1 hour ago, tyldesley_white said:

You would hope so

Now this is going to come down to my pure ignorance on the subject, not some sort of we are British everything will be right kind of thing 

But why can't we produce insulin? Is there something in it that Denmark has and we don't? 

I have an epipen do now going to look at where it's made, just out of curiosity 

2 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Now this is going to come down to my pure ignorance on the subject, not some sort of we are British everything will be right kind of thing 

But why can't we produce insulin? Is there something in it that Denmark has and we don't? 

I have an epipen do now going to look at where it's made, just out of curiosity 

There is a company that produces it in Wales, not on the scale required however they do it. 

Maybe they could start producing more and create more jobs? 

Who’d of thunk it jobs being created because of BREXIT

The company that has the patent is based in Denmark previously thanks to the EU and its trade agreements sourcing this was no issue. 

This is just one example of things that have to be sorted thanks to brexit. These things will take varying degrees of effort to sort but are used as examples of poor foresight by those steering good ship brexit. 

1 minute ago, DirtySanchez said:

So insulin is patented?  You'd like to think there would be some things that are beyond that 

Most medicines are patented but these patents come up every few years. 

Pharma-bro Martin Shkreli became public enemy number 1 by buying the rights to the HIV/AIDS drug daraprim and upping the cost from $13.50 to $750 a pill. 

6 minutes ago, royal white said:

It seems we can, or at least certain types.

Reet get that 

Now insulin is essentially a chemical. It's made up of different chemicals. Just like water is. 

I'm sure chemistry bods know what makes up insulin so why can't we make it here under the various types needed. 

9 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Just picking a none EU country here but Australia. They use insulin, where do they get it from?

Probably Denmark. It’s fucking ridiculous that folk think we can’t buy insulin from Denmark if we left without a deal. Like I say folk who are hard of thinking have swallowed project fear hook line and fucking sinker. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

I’d also imagine that the reason why we buy from Denmark and not Wales is down to cost 

Of course if the firm in Wales could produce the same thing at a better price they would be doing it already, that’s capitalism for us 

of course a no deal would likely mean higher costs buying it from Denmark or higher costs from Wales. Either way it’s going to cost more than it did. It will be a similar trend across many products, as around two thirds of our imports come for the EU, it could easily lead to higher prices and inflation. But of course this was also labelled project fear 

7 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Probably Denmark. It’s fucking ridiculous that folk think we can’t buy insulin from Denmark if we left without a deal. Like I say folk who are hard of thinking have swallowed project fear hook line and fucking sinker. 

Folk who are hard of thinking? 

This is coming from the bloke who says he's predicted exactly how it will all pan out despite switching his argument at every turn 

Categorically stares his dislike for the EU whilst at the same time saying he's moving to Spain

1 minute ago, DirtySanchez said:

Folk who are hard of thinking? 

This is coming from the bloke who says he's predicted exactly how it will all pan out despite switching his argument at every turn 

Categorically stares his dislike for the EU whilst at the same time saying he's moving to Spain

Aye and your one of the hard of thinking type. 

2 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

My daughter's insulin is only made in Denmark too. Surely there would have to be some arrangements made to safeguard lives in such situations

The CEO was interviewed on Radio 4 recently.

He said they were extending back-up stocks to 16 weeks' supply, and were 'almost there'.

2 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

The Treasury modelling of economics has been consistent in its failure to predict with any reasonable degree of accuracy. Instead of looking into the errors and re-evaluating they plough on regardless.