Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hurricane Irma

kent_white

Maybe the cunt should get his fat arse to Houston to see for himself (take it from me its not pretty) . lets hope this one takes his house and puts it in Alabama and I've nothing against Alabama just nice for him to get a taste of what we've just had

Are you over that way then?

Hell to be honest, I'm fine my house is fine, a lot of my friends where not so lucky. We still have standing water maybe 30 foot deep on one of the freeways, they are still letting water out of both reservoirs and will be for the next 5 to 6 weeks, which means some people may not be able to get back their home for that same amount of time.

Friends of mine that have lift kits on there pickup where out for 2 day getting people out, my boss spent 2 day on an air boat doing the same, I couldn't until Wednesday get out of my sub-division because of the water , from early Saturday to early Tuesday morning we had 32 inches of rain 

I saw on the TV we had enough rain to cover the lower 48 states with 7/10" of water

Hell to be honest, I'm fine my house is fine, a lot of my friends where not so lucky. We still have standing water maybe 30 foot deep on one of the freeways, they are still letting water out of both reservoirs and will be for the next 5 to 6 weeks, which means some people may not be able to get back their home for that same amount of time.

Friends of mine that have lift kits on there pickup where out for 2 day getting people out, my boss spent 2 day on an air boat doing the same, I couldn't until Wednesday get out of my sub-division because of the water , from early Saturday to early Tuesday morning we had 32 inches of rain

I saw on the TV we had enough rain to cover the lower 48 states with 7/10" of water

Bloody hell that is rough! Glad to hear you've escaped the worst of it. I was listening to the world service the other day and they were saying that Houston was particularly prone to flooding - something I'd never been aware of before.

In certain areas yes they are prone to flooding, hence they have flood insurance but this time (which is the 3rd major flood in 3 years) areas that have never flooded have, so a lot of people have lost everything, cars , house and almost every thing in the house, its heart breaking, I was out on Monday pulling sheet rock and insulation out of a friends house.

I think its 8 or 9 friends of mine that are flooded out and 2 lads I work with are in the same boat (no pun intended)

One part of Houston (the Katy area near the reservoirs) you cant get north or south because the roads are under water because the reservoirs and so full, traffic is murder in Houston at the best of times but with these roads and the freeway under water, 45 minute travel times are now 2 to 2 1/2 hours, at the end od the day people still have to work

Edited by tyldesley_white

185 mph winds. That's scary and awe inspiring at the same time. I remember as a lad trying to walk down Wigan Rd the year when we had our hurricane - winds must have been about 70 max and we were leaning straight into it - linking arms so we didn't blow over.

I think it's ok to be gay now Kent ???? no need to make storms a factor

Salford anyone living on the east coast ( I've seen one of the tracks for this) losing the roof will be the least of the issues, it looks like it could go straight up the coast and my not make land fall, so will just keep pounding away with the winds  (I think they are at 185 mph now ) and refueling with water to dump on land, I truly hope that track is wrong because that could make what happen in Houston look like a tea party. I hope your aunty is fine but she really should get out and find somewhere solid

Try www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/tracker

Edited by tyldesley_white

Hell to be honest, I'm fine my house is fine, a lot of my friends where not so lucky. We still have standing water maybe 30 foot deep on one of the freeways, they are still letting water out of both reservoirs and will be for the next 5 to 6 weeks, which means some people may not be able to get back their home for that same amount of time.

Friends of mine that have lift kits on there pickup where out for 2 day getting people out, my boss spent 2 day on an air boat doing the same, I couldn't until Wednesday get out of my sub-division because of the water , from early Saturday to early Tuesday morning we had 32 inches of rain 

Kin e'l fella . . . hope things get reet for you asap!

Salford anyone living on the east coast ( I've seen one of the tracks for this) losing the roof will be the least of the issues, it looks like it could go straight up the coast and my not make land fall, so will just keep pounding away with the winds (I think they are at 185 mph now ) and refueling with water to dump on land, I truly hope that track is wrong because that could make what happen in Houston look like a tea party. I hope your aunty is fine but she really should get out and find somewhere solid

Try www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/tracker

I know mate and i am really concerned. She did try and go inland and book a hotel around Orlando but everyone is fully booked. My cousin reckons it should hit them on Sunday and maybe a Cat 4 by then but from what you say they may have misjudged this one. I just hope they change their minds come Friday and head up to the Carolinas.

They certainly have the sunshine most of the year but the prospect of coping with an ever increasingly destructive hurricane season has to be factor to move to the west coast surely