Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Indian Takeaways.

embankment

• Members

In the early to mid 80’s the one on St Georges Rd opposite Shimuls was called “Asia Tandoori” i seem to remember the owner “Maurice” died under mysterious circumstances. The Taxi gaff close by was called Westminster Taxis at that time.

My old mans place was the one advertised above the away end snack bar at Burnden - Bestway.

Eventually merged with B&L mini bus mob and moved into that street down the side of the Albion enabling my old man to pull strokes with the market folk which really pissed off Bolton Council

Edited, double post.

BTW, was Shimuls bedecked with red velvet curtains?

Aye, it was. Dreadful place. Always preferred the one over the road and I’ve been trying to remember what it was called for years. It wasn’t Abdul’s, but Burnden Bogs has finally put an end to my pain - ta!

Good tips pal the Thai sounds fantastic will give it a whirl soon, have you done the Tapas at Robin Hood Mawdesley? hearing good reports but I’ve not been yet.

I’ve not mate, didn’t realise it was a tapas place, let me know how you get on and I might give it a whirl

We go out that way a bit for food as well, a big fan of the Eagle and Child at Bispham Green

The Hop Vine in Burscough is also fantastic

Whatever you do though, get to Siam House, it really is a game changer in terms of local take away food

* They are currently shut for holidays though, must be Thai new year or something

Edited by birch-chorley

Was it The Bombay ?

Used to be facing Hargreaves House, further up than Oggi’s barbers.

It was The Bombay, which when it shut.

Reopened as The New Bombay in the old busmans cafe on Newport St.

And yes Mr Catterol did stand just inside the doorway.

Edited by embankment

• Moderators

Lahori Karahi in Levenshulme - one of them places that doesn't serve ale, has a limited menu, and doesn't deliver

but they do a cracking lamb karahi, but for takeaway you have to buy 1kg for £20

worth the 45 min round trip to pick up

Can't beat Rusholme for an authentic curry. 

Can't remember my fave's name but anywhere full of Asians, and that does Masala Dosas, would be decent in my experience.

(if they cook the above it means they have a special chef in who can do the pancake i.e they care - one of my favourite Indian dishes)

Used to love those cafes in the N Quarter as well for an after work chick pea curry.

• Moderators

Can't beat Rusholme for an authentic curry. 

you can

unless by authentic you mean unhygienic

mate used to work for manc council healthy and safety, he wouldn't step foot near there out of hours, through fear for his safety, not via the food, but all the owners/staff who were after him for what they thought was them being screwed over, but really it was about passing basic food hygiene standards

whilst there 1 out of the lot "passed" his inspections first time - the Dildar

I know plenty of places are like that, but it's not all it's cracked up to be, it's just a conveyor belt of mass produced curry that street

but yes, some of them are very nice, so ignorance is bliss

you can

unless by authentic you mean unhygienic

mate used to work for manc council healthy and safety, he wouldn't step foot near there out of hours, through fear for his safety, not via the food, but all the owners/staff who were after him for what they thought was them being screwed over, but really it was about passing basic food hygiene standards

whilst there 1 out of the lot "passed" his inspections first time - the Dildar

I know plenty of places are like that, but it's not all it's cracked up to be, it's just a conveyor belt of mass produced curry that street

but yes, some of them are very nice, so ignorance is bliss

Can't say that surprises me and I've been ill more than once after going there.  Ale may have played a part . . .

It's why I said look for ones full of Asians.  When I lived up there it was clear some restaurants were not frequented by Asians and those always had shit food.  There used to be some belters though that made food exactly like I've had in India; usually curries here are weak, watery versions of the stuff they serve over there. 

As for hygiene I guess that's always a bit of a lottery.

Used to be an ace buffet, bring your own place on Bury Old rd. nr Strangeways - Nawaab's iirc?  Think there was one in Levenshulme as well.  Once went to the latter with a fit Pakistani lass I was seeing - got some very unfriendly looks off the clientele, mind.