Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

F1 is back

MancWanderer

2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

It was Martin Brundle who’s now the co-commentator. Yeah he was great at just sticking a microphone in peoples faces no matter who they were

Wasn't Brundle or Croft. From what I can gather this fella wasn't part of the commentary team or race day team. He was sort of the backstage bloke during practice sessions who just roamed around sticking his head in garages and grabbing anyone famous walking past. I found his knowledge and ramberlings more entertaining than the races.

58 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Wasn't Brundle or Croft. From what I can gather this fella wasn't part of the commentary team or race day team. He was sort of the backstage bloke during practice sessions who just roamed around sticking his head in garages and grabbing anyone famous walking past. I found his knowledge and ramberlings more entertaining than the races.

Can’t think who you mean? Brundle was the master at that. He used to wander up and down the grid just before the start when it was packed grabbing drivers, celebrities, hangers-on, etc. Headphones on and a big microphone in his hand. He had a few run-ins with Bernie Ecclestone in his time

15 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Can’t think who you mean? Brundle was the master at that. He used to wander up and down the grid just before the start when it was packed grabbing drivers, celebrities, hangers-on, etc. Headphones on and a big microphone in his hand. He had a few run-ins with Bernie Ecclestone in his time

This bloke never got on the grid. Was always in lots at the back before the races. Anyway, what ever his name was he knew his stuff. Eccleston, Toto and all the drivers knew him and would stop to talk.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Underpants said:

This bloke never got on the grid. Was always in lots at the back before the races. Anyway, what ever his name was he knew his stuff. Eccleston, Toto and all the drivers knew him and would stop to talk.

Was it all in black and white?

• Members
8 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

I was watching it and thought I had seen a driver die on live tv. How the hell he escaped with such minor injuries is incredible. They really are something else those F1 cars.

As are the suits 

• Site Supporter
Just now, MickyD said:

I don’t think much of the Armco which parted horizontally to allow the cockpit section through it.

Could well have saved him though. Might be weird to say but going from about 130mph to zero could have killed him outright. The fact the front of the car went through the barrier and the halo saved his head may have been the difference.

He is one lucky fucker either way. Call it a day Roman, your nine lives have been used up.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Could well have saved him though. Might be weird to say but going from about 130mph to zero could have killed him outright. The fact the front of the car went through the barrier and the halo saved his head may have been the difference.

He is one lucky fucker either way. Call it a day Roman, your nine lives have been used up.

Which is why they use old tyres. They are effective at taking the energy out of the car.