Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton council goes Conservative

Moon boy

19 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

Don’t think they’ll be able to improve on 40years of Labour control, it’s almost perfect

Aye, hospital pass

• Site Supporter

Can't see what difference it will make to the town as a whole, still going to be subjected to the same cuts from government.

My personal worry is that, working in social care, we have been told by senior managers to wait and see the result of the local elections before deciding what direction we are taking.

No opinion either way until I see what happens. 

1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

Aye, hospital pass

Ah - the old 'look what a mess we inherited' line being trotted out after just a few hours in power :)

When things are almost exactly the same in 10 years time - come and give me a shout.

6 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Ah - the old 'look what a mess we inherited' line being trotted out after just a few hours in power :)

When things are almost exactly the same in 10 years time - come and give me a shout.

Just glad I live over the border with the council tax froze for the last six years.

6 hours ago, kent_white said:

You’re right, we need to continue with more rough sleepers in town, more Asylum seeker/Refugees taking up Council housing, more bigger and better Mosques, more funding for dodgy Asian solicitors, less funding for outlying area community facilities 

Lets not waste 40years of hard work

8 hours ago, kent_white said:

:)

taking a nibble, there!

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, kent_white said:

If they're still in power in ten years then Bolton will be booming.

Not easy to change historical voting patterns; you must acknowledge that labour themselves have done that rather than any great appeal of the conservative party.

It shows the issues with having local government run politically.

Hopefully, a coalition will be better.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If they're still in power in ten years then Bolton will be booming.

Not easy to change historical voting patterns; you must acknowledge that labour themselves have done that rather than any great appeal of the conservative party.

It shows the issues with having local government run politically.

Hopefully, a coalition will be better.

Coalitions are almost always better. Its a shame that nationally we are still locked into partisan bollocks for our politics.

3 hours ago, Moon boy said:

You’re right, we need to continue with more rough sleepers in town, more Asylum seeker/Refugees taking up Council housing, more bigger and better Mosques, more funding for dodgy Asian solicitors, less funding for outlying area community facilities 

Lets not waste 40years of hard work

Let's see if anything dramatically different happens. I suspect not. 

They spent 15m quid on a bloated, ugly dead dog (The Crompton Place) - which would've been fine if the plan was to bulldoze it and turn it into anything but a fucking shopping centre...

I dunno why our resident 'would've been booted from the Conservative Party many times over' Conservatives are 'proud' though, it's the venality and incompetence of the Labour incumbents and Labour voters seeing sense and saying 'enough is enough' that has brought this situation about - rather than owt Conservatives (party and voters) have done.

Like Kent writes I'm also suspecting nowt much will change. Meet the new boss etc.

1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Does anyone moaning about 'asylum seekers' in Bolton know any btw? What they've been through, or the terms and conditions they live under here?

Should have gone to the first safe country. We can't be a house for all the worlds problems. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Coalitions are almost always better. Its a shame that nationally we are still locked into partisan bollocks for our politics.

Ultimately, you always need someone to make a decision. Ruling by committee still requires a majority, and acceptance from those that don't agree.

Don't mind a majority government- they can get on and do "stuff" then be judged accordingly in a few years time. Useful for the macroeconomic situation for a whole country.

At a local level, I agree that such party politics can be at odds with what's best for local communities.

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Ultimately, you always need someone to make a decision. Ruling by committee still requires a majority, and acceptance from those that don't agree.

Don't mind a majority government- they can get on and do "stuff" then be judged accordingly in a few years time. Useful for the macroeconomic situation for a whole country.

At a local level, I agree that such party politics can be at odds with what's best for local communities.

The thing with majority government is one lot get in, then another lot and change everything...even sometimes within the same party. 

You need decision makers but coalition brings voices into the mix and changes the dynamic. Ultimately you have a government that make decisions but they don't need to be one party at exclusion of all others. 

27 minutes ago, leadfrog1 said:

Should have gone to the first safe country. We can't be a house for all the worlds problems. 

Is that what you'd do? Doss down in the nearest 'safe country' and sit twiddling your thumbs until it all blows over?

I'd also argue they're not a 'problem', 99% of 'em.  The problem(s) is what they're trying to get away from.

I base my judgements on real life, not on what some twat like Farage spouts.

He (Farage) probably secretly views a good portion of born and bred Brits as a 'problem' too, he's just got enough nous to keep schtum on this view.

Edited by Youri McAnespie