Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Is Our Transport Structure At Breaking Point ?

leigh white

37 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

In what way does it help anyone?

Manc to London in two hours is perfectly acceptable

At £100bn I'd have great respect for BJ if he scrapped it and found another way to spend it so you could call us a northern power house

Or just spent it on something else

Indeed

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

As for MPs up here not wanting hs2- maybe that's because they are best placed to assess what is really needed and how best to spend the money.

maybe they shouldve given it some thought before they were elected

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Northern gone.

Changes over in march.

The thing is nothing will change. All the staff will TUPE over but it won't stop trains being cancelled at the last minute, staff shortages of staff being in the wrong place or drivers not trained to drive a certain type of train.

It needs a massive influx of staff and rolling stock to make it a half decent rail service.

9 minutes ago, freds dad said:

The thing is nothing will change. All the staff will TUPE over but it won't stop trains being cancelled at the last minute, staff shortages of staff being in the wrong place or drivers not trained to drive a certain type of train.

It needs a massive influx of staff and rolling stock to make it a half decent rail service.

It’s the right call, let’s see what the government throws at this problem. Johnson making plenty of good calls, let’s hope it continues. 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, freds dad said:

Clearly there needs to be investment. I suppose it's performance needs to be compared to that of other operators in the area.

Some issues beyond their control, but it's their responsibility to get drivers adequately trained etc.

Something had to give; now it's time for the government to show what it's about.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Spider said:

A step in the right direction for sure.

But will ToryTrains PLC be any better? Can't see Boris spending much on it.

But if he sorts it, then fair bastard fucks to him I say.

Why don't you see them spending much?

There have been issues with Railtrack and it's performance and that needs fixing, but the operation of the trains ought to be achievable in an effective and sustainable manner- other franchises seem to be doing ok.

With the "northern powerhouse" still floating about and increasing news coverage of all the problems, they have to sort this shit out.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Why don't you see them spending much?

There have been issues with Railtrack and it's performance and that needs fixing, but the operation of the trains ought to be achievable in an effective and sustainable manner- other franchises seem to be doing ok.

With the "northern powerhouse" still floating about and increasing news coverage of all the problems, they have to sort this shit out.

Don't really trust them yet. More than happy to eat humble pie if they sort the rattlers out though.

The infrastructure excuse is horseshit. How do all the other operators manage to run a decent service on the same tracks/stations?

Arriva are just cunts and got it badly wrong.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Spider said:

Don't really trust them yet. More than happy to eat humble pie if they sort the rattlers out though.

The infrastructure excuse is horseshit. How do all the other operators manage to run a decent service on the same tracks/stations?

Arriva are just cunts and got it badly wrong.

There were some significant delays a while back by Railtrack. It stopped northern rolling out new timetable when it should have started.

That bit isn't their fault. A statement just now from their parent company basically says "thank fuck we're rid".

All that said, other companies seem to perform better.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

There were some significant delays a while back by Railtrack. It stopped northern rolling out new timetable when it should have started.

That bit isn't their fault. A statement just now from their parent company basically says "thank fuck we're rid".

All that said, other companies seem to perform better.

No doubt they've faced some challenges, but we all do. I still think they'd have stood half a chance just by buying a few more carriages and training some extra drivers. They were always cited as the chief problems.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Spider said:

No doubt they've faced some challenges, but we all do. I still think they'd have stood half a chance just by buying a few more carriages and training some extra drivers. They were always cited as the chief problems.

I agree. Can't hide all their failures behind some infrastructure issues. Sounds like PP hiding behind a shit situation.

Time to see what tomorrow brings.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I agree. Can't hide all their failures behind some infrastructure issues. Sounds like PP hiding behind a shit situation.

Time to see what tomorrow brings.

There's a nagging thing that Arriva were actually doing well to hold it together, even as shit as it was. Their relief at being given the elbow just might suggest they can see a shitstorm of epic proportions just round the corner. They've not exactly put up much of a fight....

The fuck up with our local trains goes way beyond a rogue franchise holder 

It all started with the electrification works, that was a complete mess! Now that’s finished the trains they want to run don’t fit on the platforms ffs. Who fucked up there, wasn’t Northern Rail

Ever since that timetable change a year or so ago it’s been a mess, it just wasn’t ready for that amount of upheaval and it’s still not now 

Add the fact that Manchester is at full capacity until HS2 and Northern Powerhouse rail gets sorted and it’s a complete disaster

The only sensible way I can see through is a reduction in services, less trains but much better reliability. Northern wouldn’t have been able to make that call, DFT will now that it’s on them.

Edited by birch-chorley

• Site Supporter

These trains that are longer than the platforms: can't passengers just board as normal and walk down a few carriages?

I guess we'll see how much of this was northern's fault and how much beyond their control.

Especially if a shit loads suddenly goes into infrastructure and they decide to seek damages.

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Traf said:

Northern are no worse than trans Pennine.

The issue here is mainly down to Network rail, which is run by...

Is that from personal experience?

I don't use the trains so have no idea.

Network rail (is that their name now) certainly behind where they need to be, but that doesn't explain a shortage of drivers etc.

I'm beginning to wonder if northern deliberately held back on investment in the right areas as they were being fucked over by poor infrastructure work.