Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

1 hour ago, Hoppy510 said:

...my last paragraph being "With Cummings on the scene I just find it impossible to believe that every word spoken by any Government representative hasn't been carefully scripted to suit the narrative"

I think my opinion is fairly balanced, albeit justifiably skeptical. Just because I trust Cummings about as far as I can throw Blackpool Tower doesn't mean my viewpoint isn't balanced. Seems more balanced than that of anyone accepting what the Government are saying at face value despite knowing Cummings' role, persona, methods and history.

As someone else mentioned, the question is what possible reason did he have for attending SAGE meetings?

As anyone who has followed Cummings career will know, he is the ultimate spin doctor - ultimate because he is actually prepared to lie to the public and has mainly managed to get away with it so far - perhaps something he learned during his years working in Russia - and being a history student has no medical training whatsoever.

What other reasonable conclusion can be drawn apart from that his attendance at the SAGE meetings was to spin the science and make sure everyone is "on message" when it comes to presenting a public face. That's what he does FFS.

And if he is doing that, what's the point of listening to the Government when we know it's all just scripted bollocks.?

I hear what you say

But

I’d be disappointed if the most senior advisers weren’t attending SAGE

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I hear what you say

But

I’d be disappointed if the most senior advisers weren’t attending SAGE

It was said he was there to represent the government or words to that effect.

On the face of it, it does seem odd however upon deeper exploration, it makes a level of sense to have someone who can offer what is reasonably practicable in terms of resources so that the advice doesn't focus on a method which is impossible.

How well suited Cummings is for this, I've not a clue, but he does seem a very pragmatic individual.

I agree with David Davis and don't think Cummings should be attending.

I cant see what he brings to the table under the group's Terms of Reference, which are in the public domain on gov.uk

I'd also add that Cummings isn't strictly speaking a Spin Doctor. The spin Doctor is Lee Cain, who is considerably less experienced than all of his predecessors. 

I totally understand why a type of person dislikes Cummings.

Those Types who wanted to stay in The EU and those who wanted a Labour Government.

• Site Supporter

Surely winning an election grants you the privilege to use whichever advisors you see fit??

Campbell was a prick but it didn’t stop Blair.

Surely a government needs advisors? After all, it’s not like ministers are ever experts in the field they are responsible for? Matt Hancock has hardly had to work his way there from junior doctor has he?

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

Surely winning an election grants you the privilege to use whichever advisors you see fit??

Campbell was a prick but it didn’t stop Blair.

Surely a government needs advisors? After all, it’s not like ministers are ever experts in the field they are responsible for? Matt Hancock has hardly had to work his way there from junior doctor has he?

They dont need to be involved in emergency policy making though, they're there for popularity reasons. I bet Keith Hill doesnt involve the media and communications manager in tactical meetings. 

Anyone want to do this BWFC player emoji game

Just now, peelyfeet said:

They dont need to be involved in emergency policy making though, they're there for popularity reasons. I bet Keith Hill doesnt involve the media and communications manager in tactical meetings. 

Keith Hill?

Perhaps not the best example?!

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, peelyfeet said:

Disagree.

It's about producing the best possible approach, and that includes economic amongst other disciplines.

As RRF mentioned terms of reference I've just had a look on the government website.

Typically these things aren't the easiest to interpret, however the enhanced information about sage, long winded as it is, does suggest individuals like him may be used in membership/secretariat etc.

I've only skimmed over it, and not interested in probing deeper, suffice to say if his presence helps keep the process on track, protects the NHS etc then all's well.

8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Disagree.

It's about producing the best possible approach, and that includes economic amongst other disciplines.

As RRF mentioned terms of reference I've just had a look on the government website.

Typically these things aren't the easiest to interpret, however the enhanced information about sage, long winded as it is, does suggest individuals like him may be used in membership/secretariat etc.

I've only skimmed over it, and not interested in probing deeper, suffice to say if his presence helps keep the process on track, protects the NHS etc then all's well.

His job title is Boris Johnson's Chief adviser - how do you think his success is measured, what are the motivating factors behind someone in this role - who's best interest is he mainly concerned with, the public's or Boris Johnson/conservative party.  I understand what the role is- I just don't like them having influence in critical decision making, I felt exactly the same way about Alastair Campbell at the time of the Iraq war.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, peelyfeet said:

His job title is Boris Johnson's Chief adviser - how do you think his success is measured, what are the motivating factors behind someone in this role - who's best interest is he mainly concerned with, the public's or Boris Johnson/conservative party.  I understand what the role is- I just don't like them having influence in critical decision making, I felt exactly the same way about Alastair Campbell at the time of the Iraq war.

You're assuming he has great influence in the decision making.

Sage is there to gather advice, review it and present potential solutions to cobra.

As a member, no individual sets policy, just has input into the group's efforts.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Ed Davey the Liberal nob-scratch. Top response by @Adrian_Hilton to the Ed Davey tweet.

Dear Sir @EdwardJDavey,
Forgive me, I'm curious. Did you fast during #Lent? I'll understand if you did but didn't signal it. But did you tweet about fasting or #HolyWeek? Did you express empathy with Christians in isolation over Easter, the holiest time in the liturgical year?

Ed Davey tweet below:

A pre-dawn meal today

Preparing for my first ever fast in the holy month of Ramadan

For Muslims doing Ramadan in isolation, you are not alone!
#RamadanMubarak #LibDemIftar https://t.co/Saf7Q9hEEI

Fasting is for fucktards.