Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The official Wigan are shit thread

RUREADY2ROLL

35 minutes ago, snowball said:

by 'new owners " i meant the lot Sharpey originally sold to. I know there has been shenanigans but like you say Wigan arent only club to have dodgy owners so getting the EFL to treat wigan as special case will cause a shitstorm all through the league not just at pie men.

admin is admin is minus 12 got to be. anyway minus 12 is not even their biggest problem now as we know only too well

Believe it or not, it took over 12 months from their first look at the books to actually completing the deal, so they were thorough to the extreme which wouldn't really raise any alarm bells, unless of course the club was to be a vehicle for other means as seems to be the case. I don't think they ever had any intention of them funding the club other than to keep up appearances before getting deeper with the financial 'arrangements' as it now becoming apparent.

9 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Thinking back to Luton getting 30 points deducted. What the fuck happened there?!

10 points were for dodgy agents, the 20 was because they were in administration for a couple of years I think and had several failed CVA's.

34 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Thinking back to Luton getting 30 points deducted. What the fuck happened there?!

Wigan should also get 30.

10 per season for 3yrs plus embargo should see the cunts off.

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

There aren't any 'new owners', that's the problem. The EFL have approved a new owner as someone who doesn't actually exist as a means of transferring the debts of one of their other companies on to the club. It's not a bad shout for an appeal in that sense, although they need to do their own due diligence rather than relying on the EFL. 

In reality, though, the actual method of transferring the debt isn't illegal and isn't much different to when the Glazers took out a massive loan when they took over Man Utd and then attached said loan to the club rather than paying it themselves (or even when a load of loss-making London restaurants became Hibs' debt in the late 1980's).

But all you are saying is that ‘old’ owners passed ownership to ‘new’ owners. Who were basically the ‘old’ owners. 
So the only discussion is which owners are at fault. The ‘club’ really is the owners you can not say the two are separate. 
EFL are useless they approve anyone Wigan are not unique, if this was allowed it opens a window for everyone to do the same. Wigan’s best chance is for other clubs to go the same way. 

1 hour ago, W.cramp said:

Havent Wiggin got a possible minus 15 next season if they dont pay x amount in the pound to creditors in a certain amount of time ?      Sure I read this somewhere.  

25p in the pound. Luton got their 20 point deduction because they tried paying 15p in the pound I think. Anyone know what our rate ended up being?

1 hour ago, Ani said:

But all you are saying is that ‘old’ owners passed ownership to ‘new’ owners. Who were basically the ‘old’ owners. 
So the only discussion is which owners are at fault. The ‘club’ really is the owners you can not say the two are separate. 
EFL are useless they approve anyone Wigan are not unique, if this was allowed it opens a window for everyone to do the same. Wigan’s best chance is for other clubs to go the same way. 

The ‘new’ buyer of last month is literally an alias of the seller, that’s the issue (with a ton more debt attached to it) - how do the EFL approve someone as fit and proper when they don’t actually exist?!

36 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

25p in the pound. Luton got their 20 point deduction because they tried paying 15p in the pound I think. Anyone know what our rate ended up being?

The ‘new’ buyer of last month is literally an alias of the seller, that’s the issue (with a ton more debt attached to it) - how do the EFL approve someone as fit and proper when they don’t actually exist?!

I know. My point is if the ‘new’ owners are basically the ‘old’ owners and the EFL say that is a reason to reduce the deduction everyone else can do it. Arguing the two are the same makes the club complicit in committing any fraud that has gone on. 

5 hours ago, gonzo said:

Good question...Initially 10 points by the FA for paying agents via a 3rd party.  Then the company which took over the club was given 20 points penalty to be allowed into the league, after they broke the league's insolvency rules by failing to agree a CVA to exit administration.  The EFL said it was the 3rd time in 10 years Luton had been in a similar situation.  (TV's Nick Owen was the figurehead of the consortium that bought the club and was chairman till 2017).

23 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Glad we're not involved in that relegation fight.  Wigan are on 50 points (without points deduction) and still only 5 clear with 5 to go. Compare that to the Prem where if you win a game you look safe. 

Yes imagine them going down WITHOUT the deduction. They'd then start league 1 with -12 (barring successful appeal obvz)

That would be piss funny.

Come on QPR tonight.

31 minutes ago, famouswanderer said:

Yes imagine them going down WITHOUT the deduction. They'd then start league 1 with -12 (barring successful appeal obvz)

That would be piss funny.

Come on QPR tonight.

Wigan already 1-0 up - bastards

We need a Hull win

Edited by RUREADY2ROLL

1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

I will be surprised if they don't stay up.They obviously have better players than the other teams at the bottom and on tonights evidence  are still  prepared to graft  despite not being paid

Should of been a draw, how the referee missed Robinson’s hand ball god only knows. 

15 hours ago, Ani said:

To be fair to the EFL they pass owners a lot of times as it’s the only show in town, a bit like Sweaty when he came here. Imagine if the EFL turned an owner down and a club went under, they cant win 

In this case I think the firm paid a big chunk up front and have gone on to cover losses as well, it’s a lot more than most put in out of their own pocket. 

The transfer of ownership from one parent company to another (with the same owner) can’t really fall foul of fit and proper person surely?  

8 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

I will be surprised if they don't stay up.They obviously have better players than the other teams at the bottom and on tonights evidence  are still  prepared to graft  despite not being paid

Aye, fair play to the players 

We couldn’t get ours on the team bus in the end, let alone to put a shift in 

• Site Supporter

Wigan have a favourable run in too. Relegation this season isn’t too much of an issue for me. Their wage bill is unsustainable so assuming they don’t get another buffoon in trying to buy the premier league, sales are inevitable and their decline will follow. Have faith

2 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

To be fair to the EFL they pass owners a lot of times as it’s the only show in town, a bit like Sweaty when he came here. Imagine if the EFL turned an owner down and a club went under, they cant win 

In this case I think the firm paid a big chunk up front and have gone on to cover losses as well, it’s a lot more than most put in out of their own pocket. 

The transfer of ownership from one parent company to another (with the same owner) can’t really fall foul of fit and proper person surely?  

I think there was a point made on TV the other day that no takeover has ever been stopped by ‘fit and Proper’ tests. Not sure if true. But if you are saying EFL approve people as the only show in town the test is pointless. But like saying ok to get in a car with a pissed driver as no one else offered you a lift. 

3 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Thing is that they were pretending that they were selling it to a different person altogether who doesn’t actually exist

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Thing is that they were pretending that they were selling it to a different person altogether who doesn’t actually exist

Im detecting a fair degree of sympathy in this mons posts on the thread 

Suppose it was to be expected from our wigan correspondent