Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Missing the match...

gonzo

11 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Memories popping up on my timeline is currently not helping

not missed homes one bit though 

I miss the homes, just seeing the familiar faces outside the ground or in the ESL, even when there's 4k on for a league cup game I enjoy that side of it.  What I do miss is having a good memory of something that's happened in the last couple of months, that sustains the passion and hope for a period.  Last season was the worst in history, but we still had a few stand out moments eg celebrations at Rotherham when Verlinden scored, and at the Unibol the late winners/equalisers by Murphy and Dodoo, you cant beat seeing the stadium having something to celebrate.  I worry that without these memories people will lose interest, these are the moments that we feed on.

6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I miss the homes, just seeing the familiar faces outside the ground or in the ESL, even when there's 4k on for a league cup game I enjoy that side of it.  What I do miss is having a good memory of something that's happened in the last couple of months, that sustains the passion and hope for a period.  Last season was the worst in history, but we still had a few stand out moments eg celebrations at Rotherham when Verlinden scored, and at the Unibol the late winners/equalisers by Murphy and Dodoo, you cant beat seeing the stadium having something to celebrate.  I worry that without these memories people will lose interest, these are the moments that we feed on.

Struggled for the home games for a while I know we’ve had those odd moments to get excited about but on the whole it’s flat and tedious at times.

nowt better than having a few big trips booked up to keep you going when having a shit week at work 

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Struggled for the home games for a while I know we’ve had those odd moments to get excited about but on the whole it’s flat and tedious at times.

nowt better than having a few big trips booked up to keep you going when having a shit week at work 

I’m with this.

BUT it would change if we were winning every week.

ffs Gonzo I'd blanked it all out but the way you've put all that its got me thinking

you're just married bud and this lockdown is getting to you married types. if you need a break come and stay with me as the duty singlie or go and stay with the caveman down the way in LL and you can go back 24 hours later fucked up 

20 minutes ago, itdiddidit? said:

ffs Gonzo I'd blanked it all out but the way you've put all that its got me thinking

you're just married bud and this lockdown is getting to you married types. if you need a break come and stay with me as the duty singlie or go and stay with the caveman down the way in LL and you can go back 24 hours later fucked up 

Think Id rather cuddle up with you and zeus than head to the village mate. Outsiders don't tend to make it out :D

6am alarm, first train out of Howfen. Or Mini buzz to Piccadilly.

Bacon barm - 7.35 rattler- losing at cards.

Euston station - Walk to Spoons - Breakfast and a pint - Walk / Tube to various pubs. 

Sod the itinery .

Late getting in ground.

Half time - hugs and nods .

Checking watch .

Walking away - get in pub. 3 pints later looking for positive points.

Back to Euston.

Crash out .

Piccadilly - Home.

God i miss it !!

And every other not right that does it with me. Those i know and the well known faces we all see throughout the seasons.

There are lots of people who rarely go to the match but follow football avidly. They are missing just having the occasional option on a Saturday. My Dad is an example. Big BWFC fan but at the age of 76 he rarely goes now because he's knackered for 24 hours afterwards. In any normal season he'd have been tempted at least once by now. But he doesn't have the option.

They can't manufacture this vaccine quickly enough. 

There are a lots of things in everyday life that we now know we took for granted. Those Saturday feeling are high on the list - telling the linesman what a blind tw*t he is, savouring the very late stages of a derby win at the expense of the away fans etc etc.

Normality may never come back to 100 per cent of what it was but if/when we get close there'll be simple things we take real pleasure from for a while. 

Hopefully soon

I miss being told I cannot pay by PayPal anymore

I miss my internet being down

I miss the mad search for the power lead

I miss that little circle going around on my screen

I miss the Sock Shop music

I miss Screwfix

I miss Super John telling me about office furniture

I miss Fergal Sharky

I miss that nasally little lad telling me all about my BWFC

I miss Gary Henshaw snorting down the mike

More than anything I miss competing for the ball

19 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

There are lots of people who rarely go to the match but follow football avidly. They are missing just having the occasional option on a Saturday. My Dad is an example. Big BWFC fan but at the age of 76 he rarely goes now because he's knackered for 24 hours afterwards. In any normal season he'd have been tempted at least once by now. But he doesn't have the option.

They can't manufacture this vaccine quickly enough. 

There are a lots of things in everyday life that we now know we took for granted. Those Saturday feeling are high on the list - telling the linesman what a blind tw*t he is, savouring the very late stages of a derby win at the expense of the away fans etc etc.

Normality may never come back to 100 per cent of what it was but if/when we get close there'll be simple things we take real pleasure from for a while. 

Agree completely.  I only go to 3 or 4 aways in a year (I find them tiring like your Dad does home games!) but I would still consider 75% of aways as an option, and consult mates & family on whether we make the effort.  Invariably a 0-2 home defeat to Gillingham would cool my enthusiasm but after a good home win there's nothing better than planning the next away day.

Strangely I think as BW fans we already had the feeling of being grateful for things others took for granted.  The buzz when we were allowed to play at Wycombe.  The high of watching our kids battling against Coventry and Ipswich, I still remember the feeling of just being happy to be there and not caring about the result, to see fellow BW fans when I had half expected not to see many of them again.  It probably helps us as well that the team is crap, imagine if this had coincided with our best years!  I bet the fans of Leeds, Wycombe, Harrogate, Barrow are even more frustrated than us.

Great post Gonzo.

We have done the aways this season and its surreal.

Drinking in spoons for 3 hours before the games and not seeing another person we knew.

Walking the 15 minutes or so towards the ground alone.

Peeking over the wall or through a gate to watch our team.

Each time the stewards threatened us with the police if we don’t move. We had checked out land ownership beforehand & they went away.

The ladder very nearly went in the 95th minute @ Barrow and that would not have ended well.

That moment is right up there watching us. 

Pics with the players afterwards & sharing their Dominos Pizzas washed down with our jagermeister that was left over.

Not for everyone but we are so glad we’ve done it.